Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 40 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

12 hours ago, ramjet said:

Maybe I am just getting old or don't have a clue, but I think that iPad thingy (not using the words infotainment centre. Bugger! I just did.) in the centre is right up there with those awful LOTUS letters that were on there. It doesn't look like it is part of anything. Johnny just got his silicon gun out and stuck it there.

'This is where Lotus need to be at the very least.

IMG_0192.JPG

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, scotty435 said:

'This is where Lotus need to be at the very least.

IMG_0192.JPG

Still not sure of that. what stoppe them making the screen flush with the dash. Also what is so very wrong with an aftermarket double din that can be updated. This tech installed in cars will be obsolete in 2 to 3 years.

44 minutes ago, Spinney said:

In my view, touch screens that are meant to be operated by the driver have absolutely no place in a car. You can operate conventional switches just by touch and memory but I defy anybody to operate the numerous functions on a large touch screen without taking their eyes off the road.

I'm quite happy with modern technology but not when it takes the drivers attention away from what he/she should be doing. I really do wonder just how operating a touch screen is very much different to texting whilst driving which, as we all know, is strictly verboten.

But surely that depends upon how it operates - using it to set car's characteristic before setting off; SAT Nav when driving; Front and Rear parking cameras when travelling slowly/reversing. If other controls for heating etc and other instruments for Revs and Speed are provided - then I don't see what the issue is?

7 minutes ago, 100th_Idiot said:

Still not sure of that. what stoppe them making the screen flush with the dash. Also what is so very wrong with an aftermarket double din that can be updated. This tech installed in cars will be obsolete in 2 to 3 years.

Don't mention double din, lotus as been 4,years behind with what ever they brought to the table. I sincerely hope Geely will put this bed with the help with there leading info entertainment from there other departments within the group 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scotty435 said:

Don't mention double din, lotus as been 4,years behind with what ever they brought to the table. I sincerely hope Geely will put this bed with the help with there leading info entertainment from there other departments within the group 

I get my entertainment out of the big screens. You know, the big glass one in front of you that makes everything dart past you so damn quickly, and the one in the rear that shows the Porsche getting smaller and smaller...

If you want a big GT to crush the miles quickly and in serene comfort buy a Bentley GT/ DB9/DB11/Rapide/or god forbid a Panamera.

Me, I want a sports car and I just do not see the need for all this extra tech. Sorry.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

38 minutes ago, scotty435 said:

except that on a 4 year old car the double din can be updated and be newer than all that embedded stuff.

ICE from larger manufacturers is going bespoke (instead of using standard head units) because they realise that this is one of the few areas where they can differentiate from their competitors.

Just as you get used to an iPhone and then are less likely to switch to Android once you’ve gotten to know your way around, manufacturers hope you will make the same attachment to a cars operating system and be more likely to stick with their brand as a result.

As cars will inevitably become more utilitarian and less about the act of actually driving, I can see why this is something they are all keen to hang their hats on. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 100th_Idiot said:

So From what I was told having flush screen often means a lot of glare on said screen, a floating screen a bit deeper into the cabin resolves that especially when they allow for some tilt. As for the obsolescence problem  it all comes down to how updatable the  UI can be... At the end of the day this is another place where manufacturers will be able to generate money or already do, like Mazda who has provided updates to their ICE or Tesla that has been providing their owners with over the air update. Geely group onboard tech has made leaps forward, they are now connected to Chinese tech giant Tencent, both Volvos and Geelys have had their ICE UI overhauled and both have provided carplay and android auto on their latest cars. In itself android auto and carplay integration will do a little to contribute to diminishing that programmed obsolescence.

The screen in the patent drawing bodes well for Lotus first "massmarket"  vehicle not being outclassed on release. Remember that it is not just Lotus playing big here, Geely is pretty much betting their reputation, they really want Lotus on par with Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin and Lamborghini so I expect no less than at least Volvo levels of quality. Considering the premium they will demand from their new customers, these customers will expect nothing but AAA perceived refinements. 

• Like 1

I also see the Porsche 911 has a CarPlay ICE in it.

Although I think its a legal requirement to have 2 external mirrors on each side of the car and 1 internal one (providing you can see out the back) you can ultimately see the Lotus 'add lightness' philosophy being used to get rid of mirrors altogether and rely upon camera's - I'm sure that would be lighter - and more aerodynamic - you just need legislation to catch up with technology 

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 06.28.15.png

Edited by KAS-118

8 hours ago, Nathan Pitman said:

ICE from larger manufacturers is going bespoke (instead of using standard head units) because they realise that this is one of the few areas where they can differentiate from their competitors.

Just as you get used to an iPhone and then are less likely to switch to Android once you’ve gotten to know your way around, manufacturers hope you will make the same attachment to a cars operating system and be more likely to stick with their brand as a result.

As cars will inevitably become more utilitarian and less about the act of actually driving, I can see why this is something they are all keen to hang their hats on. 

Hmmm, but often that bespoke ICE is just a "dressed up" unit from the usual suspects. You only have to go to the manufacturers websites (Alpine etc.) to see how they create the units that look bespoke.

The point here though is that a sports ca is NOT a utilitarian vehicle and the rationale, emotion, self justification etc. for buying a sports car is the not the same as it is for a utilitarian vehicle so i don;t buy that Lotus needs this or not.  The command systems that Porsche fitted in it's 996 and 997 cars were truly shite (cannot comment re later cars as have not driven one) with small buttons everywhere.  

For me, I bought my first Lotus because of it's racing history and because it was different and rare. Granted, my Lotus cars are not daily drivers but as soon as they stop being driver focused cars and become just another re-badged me too same old same old then I'll need to go and look to buy something else. I actually do not wan to be one of the masses that buys the same thing as everyone else - so that rules out a Porsche, an Audi, A BMW, A Mercedes etc.  They just do not excite (with the exception of the Porsche GT cars) me or stir the hormones in my groin!

I now I am a luggard, but I really do not get the need for all this entertainment tech in the cars, I just don't. But if that is what the mainstream says is essential for a drivers sports car then I would say that's pretty said but hey ho, who am I to disagree as I travel the world and the seven roads looking for something.... I know what my sweet dream is for a sports car and it ain't a big screen in the middle of the dash or a fancy stereo etc.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I totally agree, I’ve driven Tesla’s on a number of occasions and IMO the screen based UI simply does not compare to a real ‘physical’ UI.

It will be interesting to see if they can maintain a clear distinction with such things between their luxury models and drives focused models. I hope so. 

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Hmmm, but often that bespoke ICE is just a "dressed up" unit from the usual suspects. You only have to go to the manufacturers websites (Alpine etc.) to see how they create the units that look bespoke.

The point here though is that a sports ca is NOT a utilitarian vehicle and the rationale, emotion, self justification etc. for buying a sports car is the not the same as it is for a utilitarian vehicle so i don;t buy that Lotus needs this or not.  The command systems that Porsche fitted in it's 996 and 997 cars were truly shite (cannot comment re later cars as have not driven one) with small buttons everywhere.  

For me, I bought my first Lotus because of it's racing history and because it was different and rare. Granted, my Lotus cars are not daily drivers but as soon as they stop being driver focused cars and become just another re-badged me too same old same old then I'll need to go and look to buy something else. I actually do not wan to be one of the masses that buys the same thing as everyone else - so that rules out a Porsche, an Audi, A BMW, A Mercedes etc.  They just do not excite (with the exception of the Porsche GT cars) me or stir the hormones in my groin!

I now I am a luggard, but I really do not get the need for all this entertainment tech in the cars, I just don't. But if that is what the mainstream says is essential for a drivers sports car then I would say that's pretty said but hey ho, who am I to disagree as I travel the world and the seven roads looking for something.... I know what my sweet dream is for a sports car and it ain't a big screen in the middle of the dash or a fancy stereo etc.

I think that is kind of the point. An SUV is not a sports car and to generate volume and revenue to support the sports car business they have to sell to another segment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KAS-118 said:

But surely that depends upon how it operates - using it to set car's characteristic before setting off; SAT Nav when driving; Front and Rear parking cameras when travelling slowly/reversing. If other controls for heating etc and other instruments for Revs and Speed are provided - then I don't see what the issue is?

Yes I agree that for parameters you would set before driving off, that is just fine but I assume you haven’t driven a Tesla? They have a lot of incidental controls on different pages all on the same screen, many of which you might want to use whilst on the move. I don’t see any problem with parking cameras as you aren’t having to take your hands off the wheel and the cameras themselves are, effectively, your eyes whilst manoeuvring at low speed. Even screens where you change between satnav or entertainment by touching a certain area are, in my view, a bad idea as it diverts your attention from the road ahead. I wonder how many drivers have been involved, or nearly involved, in even a low speed collision because they were distracted by the touch screen. 

Further, despite us all being aware you should not attempt to reprogramme a satnav whilst on the move, I wouldn’t mind betting that very many folk do. It is a temptation just having it there, that some people can’t resist - just like a mobile phone. Maybe if the touch facility could be disabled once a car is on the move, then that would be fine. Mind you, I don’t think Tesla owners would be very happy if they couldn’t adjust their HVAC whilst moving. 😉

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

I don't see why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist. The sketches posted by Nedasay were only of the SUV interior, so that tablet-thingy is probably just a nail bar.

Because the inference was being made that ALL Lotus cars of the future needed that stuff and the argument (loose term, not physical) was being counter made that in a Sports Car you don't need it which is kind of what you are saying too.

The small print.

• Gold FFM

I know it is the SUV interior, but for crying out loud, it looks like it has been added on as an afterthought.

Our new Skoda (yes I bought one) has the screen built into the dash and I have not noticed one glare issue with it at all.

As for the Tesla interior with the up and down screen that looks to be the size of a decent TV, that could be one of the ugliest things I have seen.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Does the market demand it of does the market department tell you you need it?  Plenty on here do not seem to be a fan. Fine on a rep mobile like an A4/A5 or C class or 3/4 series but not on a sports car. 

The small print.