Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V8 Esprit Engine Blocks - Brand New!! - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 Esprit Engine Blocks - Brand New!!

TheKevlarKid

Two for me please.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

How much do these weigh? is shipping outside the UK feasible? 

Coffee table was my first thought! 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Wow, thought a couple of people may want one, wasn't expecting that!!

Okay, I'll contact everyone over the course of the day who's expressed an interest. Thanks for letting this one run out on the forum Bib's, there's been a bit of interesting banter to go with it also.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steven162 said:

Machined at lotus.

For those interested they were machined on a four axis horizontal machine, process was 

First op pan face down on casting datums, however castings were so far out of spec I had to write a macro that probed the main bearing cap width on the rear end and the bearing bore on the front end then it worked out how much to turn the b axis to get the correct alignment so these were central on a finished part. It then rough milled each end and put dowel holes in the rear face.

Second op located rear face down, finish head faces, cylinder bores and all head face holes, all side face machining, pan face machining including main bearing cap location.

Then off the machine, fit main bearing cap dowels and caps.

Last op pan face down, finish end faces and crank bore, 

About 2 hours on the machine in total

So what you're saying is...if I need a new V8 block machined...you're the guy to talk to. ;)

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

7 hours ago, Buddsy said:

What machining centre did they have? DMG? Or Mazak?

Is was LC Jay on oak street that cast them though  wasnt it? Or was that just the 4 pots?

buddsy

They were cast in the Midlands by Gmail & W or Zues, I can't remember which. Not sure about the 4 cylinder but I machined loads of them as well.

If you look at your cam carriers and they have stamped I and E letters they were machined on old Moog tape machines, if they machined they were done on a vertical mazak, I did that too, too many were stamped with the wrong letter!

Blocks where done on a H630n mazak.

• Like 1

So, just to clarify with everyone these are 'un-machined' blocks as said above. Coffee tables, wine and beer holders etc. were my initial thoughts also. I'm sure there are some other creative things can be done with them, I'm going to make myself an indoor planter for my man cave out of one of them.

Some one with the relevant skill and machinery could possibly use them as originally intended I suppose...

I also have a crate full of the steel cranks to go with them. Again, they're un-machined. Will throw one in to anyone who takes a block (if they want one...).

Just waiting for my local courier to open their desk at 9.00am to get quotes for carriage. 

Cheers

Gav 

IMG_20170627_074016.thumb.jpg.7c0f2f88040e72432cffe826a751c435.jpgIMG_20170627_074035.thumb.jpg.ae5ffe271f8bdea65ff89f2bf7d1bd5f.jpg

IMG_20170627_074025_edit.thumb.jpg.758698115505b0882e8b41e3c701ea95.jpg