Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exige 380 noise level - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige 380 noise level

Was there any final outcome on reducing the noise on a 380.

I was black flagged at Silverstone doing 106.8 dB down the old pit straight 2 weeks ago and had to short shift rest of day unfortunately and as previously mentioned not ideal 

I would like to have a definitive solution with an aftermarket exhaust but want to have a switchable system as the drone fully open on motorways is not great.

Hangars and 2bular don’t appear to be switchable 

Colin

CC2957C5-A605-4A52-A626-26CB78ED839D.jpeg

Edited by Tex

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Cristiano said:

Interesting, although at Hockenheim with 98db limit had no issue with my 380Cup. 

We have a 95dB limit on most tracks here in Sweden so this would be perfect for me.

Last week on Tor Poznan i was meassured to 104dB  and I have the stock non-titanium exhaust.

It would be interesting to know how much of a dB reduction it has both static and drive by and also if it reduces power or has any negatives side effects 

17 hours ago, alexthewheelman said:

Looks like an interesting solution! How is it held in place?

One screw they say. I have ordered one so will update you guys once it's in my hands.

17 hours ago, Tex said:

It would be interesting to know how much of a dB reduction it has both static and drive by and also if it reduces power or has any negatives side effects 

-3dB they say and also you can turn it away from the side they measure from on the track.
I need a 9dB drop to pass the limit on the tracks around here so I will mount and try it out as soon as I can.

• Like 2

Can I ask if you’ve formally asked the question to Lotus? Surely as they start to see a volume of customers who bought a track car for track days but can’t get on track they’ll be forced to bring out a solution or ensure future models have something to make them actually track legal...

www.alias23.com

Is there a problem with the 4 cylinder Exige and Elise models as far as noise is concerned on track?

Or is it just with the V6 Exige and Evora models?

An Elise with a standard or Titanium exhaust, would that be okay?

Yes it does appear rather contradictory that Lotus advertise their cars as a road and a track car but not many tracks will allow the cars on track!

Maybe Lotus should publish official noise figures on their cars!

Edited by PaulLF1

2 hours ago, alias23 said:

Can I ask if you’ve formally asked the question to Lotus?

I did ask this before buying mine (when thinking on Sport 350 vs Sport 380 choice). Official figures for Sport 380 are:

"The accelerated noise level in 3rd gear is Stainless silencer – 72dB(A)
                                                             Titanium silencer – 73dB(A)
Stationary noise level at 3750rpm  –       Stainless silencer  - 90dB(A)
                                                            Titanium silencer  -  91dB(A)

For type approval purposes we only test stationary noise level at 3750rpm, so I don’t have the figures for 5250rpm.
The stationary sound level at 5250rpm would be above 98dB(A) as the exhaust valve will be fully open.
"

Also at that time (April 2017) I've been told that "I don’t believe that we are working on a track focused exhaust which will meet the stationary requirements."

There are a few ok circuits and also loud days available but it is a problem to just book a track day and feel confident you are going to be able to use a 380, 410 or 430 at most of them.

The problem does need resolving as many folks with V6s and 350 won’t upgrade if they can’t get on track.

I tried Kendrew on Saturday and didn’t hang around long, although noise wasn’t the problem .

From what I saw, this is an issue mostly localized in UK and maybe some northen EU countries, such as Sweeden. Very strange to me, as UK hosts majority of F1 teams, and has great history of racing.. In Germany, Italy, France, and Belgium, the 380 Cup (and probably also the 430 Cup) will not have issues at all.. 

Moreover, I was at Mugello few weeks ago, and I have a recording of my 380 Cup on the straight, together with other cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche GT3). The Exige sounds slightly louder, but not that much.. 

Maybe static test would go above 103-104dbs, however probably that's the same for a GT3, or a Ferrari.. are we sure this is a Lotus problem? Maybe it is more a UK problem.. 

Anyway, good that KT made a removable solution for that. 

Today I tracked the car at Mantorp Park in Sweden. Limit was 105dB.
Among 45 cars mine and a couple of modified porsches were above the 105-limit. I was measured to 106dB and the loudest porsche at 111dB.

Normal limit on other swedish tracks are 95dB.
I will be going to Spa in september and the limit there will be 103dB so a working DB-eater is most welcome.

If and when I finally get my 350, I'll gladly swap the system for a 380 setup ( I know it has to be the whole system to fit )

While not quiet, I felt the 350 lacked the fizz of the 380, and I prefer it's sound, so a win win! 

• Thanks 1

The 2bular on my V6S was measured at 98.8dB at Brands Hatch a few weeks ago and 96dB with the decibel buster add ons Jim used to sell. He does a switchable track exhaust now so no need for the add ons as I understand it. Mine makes an awesome noise and allows you on many but not all track days.

On 12/07/2018 at 08:37, Dulcinea said:

The 2bular on my V6S was measured at 98.8dB at Brands Hatch a few weeks ago and 96dB with the decibel buster add ons Jim used to sell. He does a switchable track exhaust now so no need for the add ons as I understand it. Mine makes an awesome noise and allows you on many but not all track days.

Presume that was the  track not road exhaust?

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Cristiano said:

I was in Spa on 4th of September without any DB silencer and had no issue with noise! 380 Cup.

Did they actively measure the noise? How many dB did you have?
I drove at a local track a few weeks ago with a 105-limit and just exceeded that limit.

6 hours ago, razad said:

Did they actively measure the noise? How many dB did you have?
I drove at a local track a few weeks ago with a 105-limit and just exceeded that limit.

They measure dynamic noise all the laps. The limit was 103, which is quite high. Depending on microphone position, you can consider between 15 and 10 db less, when measuring dynamic noise w.r.t static one. Therefore, if the dynamic noise limit is at 95 you are MORE than OK with a 380 cup. 

Consider I did 2 track days (around 120 laps) in Hockenheim with db limit to 98 without issues.