Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Esprit S2 just arrived today, minimal resto thread. - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Esprit S2 just arrived today, minimal resto thread.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well done Darren, I remember my first drive in an Esprit 25 years ago like yesterday!

Yes the VDO clock is standard.

Will look so much better when you fit the standard sills and front spoiler/valance.

Interior looks great, so nice being original.

Enjoy S2 motoring! ???

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• Gold FFM

Looks lovely, first switch is to swap from left to right wing mirror the one in the centre consul is the choke. 

Get them seals off and it's going to look even better

congtaulation by the way ?

Of course :blush: 'switch from left to right mirrors'. So the other's the choke, thanks, I was afraid to press the button underneath incase my wife who was sitting in the passengers seat shot out through the roof.

Thanks

• Haha 1

Lovely example ( specially when the sills are gone;-))

Not sure i ever used the choke on my S3... 2 pumps on the loud pedal and it fired up beatifully every time. I even seem to recall being advised against it.

enjoy!

• Like 1

True, so far a couple of pumps on the pedal and all is good. I'm looking forward to replacing the sills and valance. It might be tricky getting the colour right though, )going for white not black.)

1 hour ago, Dan E said:

Yep agreed never used mine on the advice of GST. 

I'm the reverse, I have always used the choke from cold :thumbup:

I hear you Stephen regarding the sill colour, and TBH either way to me looks great, but IMO the side of the S2 looks too high with the black bottom part, on the white background as in the photo it looks fine, but when I look at other photos when you see a shadow, like this one, then it looks high.

Lotus_Esprit_S2_Federal.jpg.13eb7f29b3e53a4651eb7416b34228fb.jpg

1 hour ago, cbclotus said:

Hi Darren ....Great looking s2 .Very rare to see one ...Good on you .Have fun ..Mike

Thanks Mike.

48 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

I think you'll find that American one you've posted is sitting higher. Here's another colour for another comparison together with another in white:thumbup:

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

They do look tasty Stephen, but still gonna go for the white, unless of course matching it is too tricky.

• Like 2

Car looks fantastic Darren,  and in lovely condtion,  even has black air inlet ears well done on the purchase, may she serve you well  :thumbup:   

The picture above that Stephen posted of the white S2 is one of my all time favorite pictures of the S2,  I am in the black sills and valance camp as i think it makes the early cars so much slimmer, even more so on a white car.  It just looks so right,  other wise the cars tend to look a bit to much of a chunckey monkey to me lol.

But it is your car and we all have different tastes :)

Glad to see the car was as advertised, and looks fantastic, enjoy :)

A

Stephen.Great pictures ....Such a pretty car .....Looks great with the polished speed lines ....Very very cool I like the black cills etc ....Mike

agreed

1 hour ago, Dan E said:

Love that interior, I am another in the black sill dept though. 

:-) I'm out  numbered that's for sure

Hi Darren ..I don't like the look of your passenger .Looks a little hen pecked !Foul joke I know ......Mike

!

Haha, :-) that's my homage to Magnum P.I

magnum.jpg.5ad5e0a965dd2ec829d54e4a29077fa2.jpg

Edited by OSMojo
  • Like 1

Guys. The car sounds lumpy today, I also get gassed when I stop. I have made a quick video hopefully you can hear the engine. It's lumpy, I hope it's just that the sparks need a clean. I have a few questions on the video, link below. Please view on I.E or Chrome, edge seems to have problems with it.

Video engine question

8 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Car looks fantastic Darren,  and in lovely condtion,  even has black air inlet ears well done on the purchase, may she serve you well  :thumbup:   

The picture above that Stephen posted of the white S2 is one of my all time favorite pictures of the S2,  I am in the black sills and valance camp as i think it makes the early cars so much slimmer, even more so on a white car.  It just looks so right,  other wise the cars tend to look a bit to much of a chunckey monkey to me lol.

But it is your car and we all have different tastes :)

Glad to see the car was as advertised, and looks fantastic, enjoy :)

Thanks Dan. I bought the car without seeing it. Yup, that's ,me. Anyway so far so good (apart from engine sounding a but lumpy)

Congrats, this will be  lovely car (once the sills are black).

Lumpy engine on an old carb'ed Lotus; - fuel is a prime culprit. If the car has been standing or had sporadic attention the fuel lines and carbs will be clogged with lumps of flob and varnish. Odds on a change of fuel lines and carb rebuild will transform the car. Not sure about fuel pumps, they were a source of problem on the 4 seaters but i've never had a G car.

Speaking of fuel, carb'ed Lotuses are notious for going up in flames, another reason to replace every fuel pipe, banjo union, and carb diaphragm unless you have evidence of recent work. Don't forget the cambelt too before you enjoy yourself too much..

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• Gold FFM

Darren, I would also recommend once the sills are black (?) and you have the mechanicals done you should speculate some cash and get a full professional detail down the line, worth every penny and a lot cheaper than a respray you won't believe the difference 

here's mine after that's the original paintwork IMG_0123.thumb.JPG.fd28acdb6f7053f346571af437f433db.JPG

• Gold FFM

Speaking of fuel, carbed Lotuses are notorious for going up in flames, another reason to replace every fuel pipe, banjo union, and carb diaphragm unless you have evidence of recent work. Don't forget the cambelt too before you enjoy yourself too much.

A MUST, A MUST, A MUST. Been there and had the fire. Not nice and still have some scars to prove it.

And get that belt changed before the love runs to far and it goes ping.

Nice find. And as Dan E said, the detailing will probably bring back the colour and make it easier if you decide to go for White on the sills, although my choice would be Black.

Mark, Danny & John, great advice, I had no idea of potential fires. I'm in the process of trying to book it in so it can be looked at. The detailing on the Turbo is insane it looks fresh from the factory.