Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Tesla Roadster. - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New Tesla Roadster.

Not sure about the looks, but performance? And a 620 mile range? Stunning achievement. I just hope Tesla doesn't go phut anytime soon because of the Model 3 production delays and it runs out of cash.

http://www.evo.co.uk/tesla/roadster/20362/new-tesla-roadster-revealed-250mph-and-0-60-in-19-seconds

0 - 60 in 1.9 seconds (on the base model)
250mph top speed
620 mile range

Sweet baby Jesus.

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

It is a giant battery with 4 seats and some very nice plastic on top. It does look nice but I wonder how heavy that thing is ?

And how do we call that thing  is it a trip mid "motor" hypercar.

10,000 nm of torque! 10,000 nm! So this thing could tow an aircraft carrier or start the galaxy spinning again if it ever came to a stand still. 

And if that thing develops 10000nm, how many bhp do come with it? I hope the breaks are up to the task.

I like this, it is crazy.

Edited by NedaSay

To my eye tesla looks more proportionally correct..   something not quite right  with that Elise concept.. 

honda NSX looks similar too.

nsx_16_0_0_0_0_0_0_0.jpg

New-Generation-Honda-NSX.jpg

My only issue with it so far is the name. A “roadster” by definition is a TWO-SEAT Open Top sports car.

This has 4 seats and a full roof (but they say targa style removable). 

Should be called an electric super car or some other suchlike! :)

2 hours ago, NedaSay said:

It is a giant battery with 4 seats and some very nice plastic on top. It does look nice but I wonder how heavy that thing is ?

And how do we call that thing  is it a trip mid "motor" hypercar.

10,000 nm of torque! 10,000 nm! So this thing could tow an aircraft carrier or start the galaxy spinning again if it ever came to a stand still. 

And if that thing develops 10000nm, how many bhp do come with it? I hope the breaks are up to the task.

I like this, it is crazy.

I was wondering about the weight issue too. Sure who wouldn't want 0-60 in 1.9s?...but how well does it go round corners?

So according to the article the battery will have a capacity of 200 kWh. In comparison, the Model S has 85 kWh, which is already huge. According to wikipedia, it weighs approximately 540kg. If you scaled that up to 200 kWh, you'll get a battery of 1270kg! That's just as much as the complete original Tesla Roadster :/

I would concur except that the battery tech is progressing at such a tilt, even though they are not getting that much lighter they are getting lighter... and this car looks like it is displacing less mass. It looks like a very good looking sports car from the back there's something of the 2010 DB Elite.

But lets imagine the battery pack weighs 1300 kg and is technically the skate on which the body  which should be ultra light carbon fiber attaches. Cause by the look of it this is all carbon fiber and composite chassis and body with the electrical cells sandwhich in a carbon honeycomb enclosure ; that would make the car somewhere in the 2 tons or more which isn't great but with a 1"9 to 60 mph, the g-force under acceleration would be immense. I don't even want to think about what happens under braking or cornering.  

I don't want to look at it as a hypercar because it looks more like the first electric GT capable to get you from Paris to Monte Carlo with no fuel stops on the highway not using diesel. At 250kph+ lets face it, if this thing can corner, it is a game changer. Especially in this price range they are not aiming for Chiron or Regera or P1, they are gunning for the 720S and the 488

And now I really want Lotus to have a next gen Esprit at least with that Polestar 1 powertrain.

4 hours ago, brucet said:

Just saw a video of the new Tesla Roadster being unveiled.  It looks just like an Evora.  Did Lotus and Tesla join up again, as they did with Tesla's original roadster?

Considering Tesla had a special tuition during the first roadster years, and the fact that their engineering team is now in the thousands of people. I dont think they had to use Lotus engineering this time around But if they did I don't think we'll get to know about it. 

2 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

I bet it won’t when it’s got 40 tonnes of fake dog poo in the back. 

It is supposed to take 20" to get to 60mph when loaded.... they showed an illustration of this.

Do you still need to heat up the battery for 15 min when you want to do a 0-60 in 1.5 sec? ?

Will this car then finally be able to do at least one full lap at the NOS w/o overheating the battery?!?

Even if it does, I am pretty sure I will still much rather pull out my Exige, fill it up with 102 Octane fuel, start the engine and enjoy the sound and excitement of every single rev of my old fashioned gas engine ...

• Like 1

Here comes the future..... in 5 years time I'll have only electric cars in my garage.....

2018, the new Smart electric to replace my smart brabus

2019, the Tesla model 3 to replace my Mini Cooper JCW

2020.... I don't know what to replace my Exige V6....

The only thing for sure, is that electric cars are coming on strong and stronger and stronger, the more chinese and indian people are suffocating under acid smog......

Don't forget Volvo said it will replace all its engines by electric engines in 5 years time... and what the chinese say they do....

And Geeeeeeeeee I LOVE THAT ELECTRIC SOUND...... it's like being in star wars for real......

• Like 1

As much as we all love our combustion engines, the headline figures here are amazing. Lets give Tesla some credit here, is the the future off transportation, the answer as got to be a firm yes and as I can see it's going to happen a sooner than we think.

10 years ago according to all analysts and everyone else supposedly int he know the book industry was dead and every bookstore was going to close thanks to Amazon.  10 years later, Amazon is opening book stores!

Great achievement. Nice idea. Not for me.  There's enough petrol to last the 30 years tops before I die. Petrol it is for me.

Tesla looks to me like a pyramid scheme. Too big to fail now as everyone else's money. But then they said that about Enron lol.....

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!