Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V8 Esprit tail gate struts, annoying - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 Esprit tail gate struts, annoying

Nice and easy question. On my car on the tail gate or trunk I have on the right side a long strut and on the left side a short strut. The short strut locks the tail gate up, but its dreadfully low. I have the massive spoiler on the back. Doing a lot of work on car right now in the engine bay. Each time I have to pop out the left strut and slot in my broom handle. Annoying. I want to do a mod to have powerful struts to keep the tailgate up in the air (same height as for maximum length of the right strut lets say). If that means strengthening the tailgate to take the force/weight, so be it. Would another strut like the  RH strut fitted on the LH side do? Or do I need more power struts x 2 (length as per the RH side strut)?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 4 months later...

I will post a picture of mine, I have a 98 V8 and no issue keeping up the Boot Lid.  It is a heavy Boot.  WEith it up to full open I have as much access ........as was designed into it.  Thanks Mark

Still waiting for the picture to come to my email, but it was the following brand,

Stabilus

Lift - O - Mat

631612    0450N  272/97  F02

were how the numbers showed on the Left Drivers side US lift.

Thanks Mark

More thoughts on this. I wrote to SGS, but the bloke didn't really understand. Only way is to do it myself to be sure of what I want. I will measure the moving mass of the tail gate and convert to Nm force. I will buy one of them devices for measuring heavy luggage. Put it around the rear wing and lift up the tail gate gently to get a measurement. Then do some sums. Then search for a pair of struts that give that force. The strut needs to have maximum extension of 520mm. That will hold up the tail gate making access much more open. That's the opening I have currently with the broom handle and disconnection the small locking strut on the left side. I will add strengthening with aluminum L brackets left and right that run down each side. I will also add triangle metal plates for the ball part that's on the tailgate. Also where the other end connects on the car might reinforce but that looks strong enough. My tailgate already has cracks, probably where before when locked the previous owner/garage mechanic tried to close, without lifting up first. I'll repair with fiberglass for sure. I'm surprised that no one hasn't posted this before. My aim is that on flipping the catch the tailgate will lift up and open right up. I'll keep you posted. The constant flicking off the small strut each time with a screw driver then propping up with a broom handle to do anything at the back is starting to bore me a bit.....

There is a mod you can also do, which I did to mine when I first got it. I forget the exact details but I think you turn the brackets on the tailgate that the struts mount onto around 180 degrees so the ball that the strut pops onto is a bit further towards the back. I think it only moves the ball on the bracket about an inch or so, but that translates into about another 6” of height when the boot is open.

I seem to remember there were already holes there that were threaded, but I had to run a tap through as they’d gone a bit dirty and rusty.

I’m sure I have some pictures so I’ll see if I can find them tomorrow.

Edited by Glyn Harper
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys, its done, and I'm really pleased with the result. My tail gate opens right up. Now so easy to get in and work/inspect in the engine bay. The days of the broom handle are well and truly over. After lots of research and calculating I went for a slightly different strut from the original manufacturer STABILUS. Rated at 500N each with a length center to center of 525mm. Also whats great is they are parts used on the Skoda Favorit. So acceptably cheap. I paid 31.70€ delivered. The magic number is 083852. Most important was to strengthen the tail gate. First thing was to repair the cracked tailgate each side with fiberglass compound. Its like P38 filler but has fiberglass mixed in. Super strong once cured. Then i used aluminum profile 20mm x 30mm, which I cut and filed to fit the contour. They slot in sandwiched behind the brackets. The whole profile was then neatly rivited to the tailgate. It goes from almost the whole length of the tailgate, on the flat area. Then I sprayed up the profile. Its very tidy...  See photos. I thoroughly recommend this mod. A very necessary mod if you have the big V8 spoiler fitted. Cheers.

Tailgate opening more.JPG

Tailgate opening more engine.JPG

Repair of the fiberglass.jpeg

Alu profile painted finished.jpeg

Alu piece measuring.jpeg

Edited by eddie111S
  • Like 1

Well done! Are those normal struts or do they have a locking function as well?

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Its a 3.0 ltre V6 from a Jaguar S-type. It has a Ford Maverick 3.0 litre inlet manifold and cover with modification re L O T U S logo. 

2 hours ago, Escape said:

Well done! Are those normal struts or do they have a locking function as well?

Hi. They are normal struts. No locking is needed. The price of 31.70€ is for the pair too. On opening the tail gate you need to move it up a little, but it stays there. Its so cool believe me. I can see everything now. Also added bonus, I don't bash my head on the rear wing no more 😃

Thanks for the info Eddie. My SE has the heavy glass in the tailgate, so I wouldn't be too comfortable working on the engine without locking struts.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.