Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Digging on V8 braking...help please - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Digging on V8 braking...help please

Hello all

I'm trying to help Ian out with a replacement V8 style master cylinder and servo replacement setup for his S4s as he wants to bin his (horrible) Delco thing.

This also fits with one of my long term aims of finding cross references for the '96-'97 and '98 on V8 master cylinder and servo alternatives. At the moment:

'96-'97 brake master cylinder - check, that's sorted as a Peugeot non-ABS item
'96-'97 servo - unknown, the only ident I have on mine is " PROTOTYPE LOTUS IV 8" B-835565 60328P" which is really not very helpful. I have done a lot of trawling but haven't found anything remotely similar. HOWEVER, I DO HAVE AN IDEA so leave this one with me...

'98 on brake master cylinder - I don't own one but asked Mr Kearley to take a few pics before he sold PGA on. Unfortunately they are not very clear. I know the reservoir looks like a Peugeot/Bendix item as it has the same style cap as the '96 and I'm happy to keep looking on that. The cylinder body has Bendix cast on one side:

image.png.ab1bf7701f5feee71339646bd61b7642.png

However, I only have a bit of the cast in part number on the other side:

image.png.fb0bb34893e250e2788a3be93c4c23fc.png

Could someone with a '98 on V8 kindly supply the full number? Incidentally I think FTE was a company that Bendix bought.

'98 on servo:

Again, Barry's iPhone camera is about as much use as a Plasticine spanner

image.png.238f2ec6c68a3c54101bffc7f0432bcf.png

It says Bosch something...that would be fantastic as a cross ref if a kind owner could read it off for me.

Thanks in advance

Alan

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

@swindon_alan with the s4s came a full Kelsey Hayes conversion kit (or so I was led to believe) with loom, ecu, pump, servo etc

the servo :-

the part number on this master is Bosch b359704 with 70917 written underneath

Ps - my crap phone will be able to take a better picture when the stuff can be laid out on the dining table

• Thanks 1

Only here once

@Barrykearley thank you sir - that's great. Which KH is it, the '96/'97 415 or the '98 on 430? If it is the 430 did it come with a brake master cylinder - any idents off of that would be blinding. Cheers buddy

• Gold FFM

I’d upload some pics - but it won’t allow me as I’m over my attachment limit.....and I don’t know how to delete stuff from there to free up space....help

anyway master cylinder has this written on the casting “sc 1 6278 311902”

It’s the later 430 kit

Only here once

Oooooh now that's exciting Barry (yes I am sad!)

Thanks very much. Are there any markings on the reservoir?

Don't fret about the pics, they can wait until tomorrow when your allowance renews. I know what the '98 on MC and servo look like I think...

Bingo. I think that your/post '98 master cylinder is off the Eurovan - Peugeot 806/Fiat Ulysse/Citroen Evasion and possibly the light commercial variants like the Expert. Subject to confirmation this one. The reservoir doesn't tally but I will keep looking on that.

That would make sense from the continuity of the Peugeot 406 for the earlier V8 MC, plus presumably the Eurovan one would have good capacity/hydraulic force being as it designed for a larger vehicle.

Still got to look further into servos.

PS that's the non-ABS MC version btw

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another request please. I have three versions of the V8/GT3/S350 parts lists with correct diagrams but the post '98 ones are strangely all missing the second (and a possible third) page of the items listing. Specifically it is Section 33.03 and the diagram shows both combinations of brake master cylinder/reservoir/servo assemblies and KH ABS units:

image.png.039cc5e1c3649aee63b66715914d969b.png

Item 44 doesn't appear in the '96-'97 diagram so it must be post '98 but I haven't got a clue what it is as mine is not fitted with it. Ideas or can someone copy me their pages of items 16 to 48 please?

@Barrykearley, have you got this bit in your spare kit of V8 parts bud?

Brilliant, thanks Ian. Not fitted to pre-'98 then and also only for the GT3. I wonder what the '96/'97 GT3 did for vacuum then? This is very applicable for a DM V8 version upgrade btw.

44       1        A082J6175F Vacuum Pump, electric Incl. non-serviceable vac. switch - GT3, '98 MY on

• 3 years later...

Just as FYI that pump was made by Wabco and it was used in 98-2002 Ford Ranger EV trucks.  Can't find anything on the part number.  Most all were taken back by Ford and destroyed just like the GM EV1 that were all crushed after their 2-3 year lease ran out.  I found a page from the truck's service manual and a photo image matched the Lotus part drawing exactly.  In the trouble shooting guide it said this pump should be replaced every 5 years / 60,000 miles so GT3 owners should know they will have to fab a replacement when theirs gives up the ghost unless a Lotus part supplier happens to have a NOS one (probably better odds winning a lottery).  Basically it is unobtanium. 

Just wanted to let others know so they don't waste time searching for a replacement and that a used one may be on borrowed time if the donor was higher mileage.

Also, I looked at my V8 master - left side has "Bosch" stamped and the number 23 in a square, and just like the above it has the matching "311902" on the right side, but my digits in front of the numbers is " F C  1  B" followed by 311902. So confirmed as a Peugeot 806 - in the used part picture I verified from, it said:

PEUGEOT

806 (221)

2.0 HDI (109 hp)

[2001]

(5 doors)

The reservoir had the same connectors for a level sensor and the reservoir connection that is used as a supply line for the clutch master cylinder, but the reservoir is not square and looks smaller that the Lotus version and is different.  My booster also says Bosch B359704, but the number underneath is different - its 912093.  My reservoir says "Bendix" on the far end cast into the plastic and does have a number embossed on the left side : "307H99"