Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Alunox Noise Compliant Silencers for Evora/S/4xx - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Alunox Noise Compliant Silencers for Evora/S/4xx

Bibs

Yes, they can do different tips. My car was used for the supercharged version development and that was definitely something that could be done. The NA version on Bibs' car has twin round pipes.

• Like 2

That's a seriously steep price just for the exhaust. You can get a full 2Bular exhaust, downpipes and manifolds for less than the cost of the stainless. Larini also significantly more cost effective too. 

This system seems quite heavy too. I'm sure the stock MY12 Janspeed exhaust is about 14.5kg so there is little or no weight saving with this system. 

102db is not track legal at quite a few UK tracks unless on a 105db noisey day. The stock Evora S exhaust was 104db from memory with the valve open so if this exhaust isn't lighter or significantly quieter I'm not quite sure why you would swap to it. 

48 minutes ago, saj said:

That's a seriously steep price just for the exhaust. You can get a full 2Bular exhaust, downpipes and manifolds for less than the cost of the stainless. 

Looking through the brochure, that price isn’t ‘just’ for the silencer/backbox. That price includes the equivalent of the y-pipe, cat delete pipe AND the silencer. 

That makes the price (and the weight) a bit more palatable. 

The cat delete pipe for an Evora is between £150 and £200 to buy. The y-pipe about double that so doesn't make the price more palatable to me at all to me considering a valved exhaust is £1400 and the Alunox is £4200. The weight claim doesn't say it includes the other bits so would need to get that clarified having looked at the brochure again. 

The titanium system price is £6000 which is also steep. I can buy an Inconel system which is far superior for less than that.

Perhaps there is a special 50% off for launch models? :lol:

but yes, it does seem expensive for a crowded market with no real differentiation point? It’s heavier and pricier, so hopefully it’s better on power? Are there any dyno runs with valve open and closed?

I assume the valve is OEM controlled, so will always open at 4,500rpm?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

2 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

I said ‘a bit more palatable’, not ‘the same price’! :coffee:

I never said you said same price. For me it doesn't make it even a bit more palatable especially as it provides no benefit over existing setups on the market. 

15 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Looking through the brochure, that price isn’t ‘just’ for the silencer/backbox. That price includes the equivalent of the y-pipe, cat delete pipe AND the silencer. 

That makes the price (and the weight) a bit more palatable. 

Looking at the N/A version it's £3600 inc VAT for cat replacement and backbox, if I have understood middle section to be the cat replacement.  I paid £950ish for a non valved 2bular that claims to be UK track compliant (with the carbon tips), I'll admit that I've not had the chance to confirm this yet but it seems to be one hell of a premium for a valved exhaust unless I am missing something?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys noticed your thread debating the Alunox Noise Compliant Silencer, I live in Wrexham close to Alunox and have their full 321 stainless system on my Esprit. I’ve recently been at Alunox for some work and mentioned your comments and can maybe address some of your queries on price and comparison with other equivalent brands.

From the outset Alunox were asked to produce a Track compliant system for the Evora / Exige. The silencer system would need to have a track focused design that meets the strict noise requirements while maintaining flow and enhancing performance. It transpires that both quiet and loud modes can be used without any loss in performance.

Just like to confirm that the tail pipe is optional.

I don’t think this is a like for like comparison with other brands, so begs the question what are we getting for the extra cost?

5aa420d826690_Ev400Underside3.thumb.jpg.131ebb705d78e31bd67533ab70c77658.jpg

The stainless rear system like the Titanium option are a completely different in design to the Larini and 2Bular Silencers. This is a dual pass design uses 76mm pipework that is capable of maintaining flow in both loud and quite modes at high RPM.

Other manufactures run smaller diameter pipe work and rely on the ECU to open the bypass valve at high RPM.

The unique hexagonal Silencer shape utilises all the available space in the rear of the car to meet noise levels while running 76mm pipe work. Larger diameter pipe work requires greater sound absorption resulting in bigger silencer configurations.

Other key performance specifications are

·         Middle section pipe diameter of OEM 60mm  - Alunox 63.5 mm

·         Internal Perforated tubes silencer construction – Straight though design for maximum flow as used by teams supplied by Alunox as oppose to chambered silencer which house tight turns decrement to  flow  and performance.

·         Supercharged - Valve Closed – Max Power, Open sporty note – still below 102 dBs

·         Helical Exhaust Valve – as used by Lamborghini, specified with High temperature Materials and components.

5aa421578d5c4_ExValveV2Crop.jpg.acc2f45949b0b475476e67366342a2d4.jpg

Alunox uses this valve for the more demanding applications in high end super / hyper car systems running temperatures up to 950 °C.

High flow CAT options available as below

5aa421d4386f8_LOTUSSC.thumb.jpg.d505a73ce00aafcb8b780788cdcea48b.jpg

To give you some idea of the sound and operating modes here’s video if the NA system in action

The Titanium system again dual pass in design but unlike other brands it is entirely made of Titanium including the Helical Valve, Inconel wire wool for silencer packing.

So yes it is more expensive but it’s not a like for like comparison.

If I suggest a group buy of 10 it would give forum members more leverage on price maybe we can close the gap a bit, how many would be interested for the NA / 400 Stainless Steel option. I can propose a combination of two separate systems in one Group Buy.

Mark K

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I just had a re-read of the brochure and it doesn't mention anything about cats at all, Mark mentions there are high flow cat "options" available, so is this a complete decat as standard, or am I missing something?

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Hi James, 

Yes it wasn't mentioned that in order to take advantage of the High Flow CAT options, they need to be fitted with the headers which are being developed at Alunox at the moment. The headers will do away with existing CATs , I don't have any pictures yet but they will be equal length 28" downpipes constructed from inconel and 321 stainless steel.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

@MarkKassim that sounds quite amazing although given the prices already quoted I can't help but think a full system including cats and manifolds from them would be hideously expensive?

At some point in the future I do want a system like this, but the cost is seriously prohibitive.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• 2 months later...

If something is really engineered well (and with the purpose of being track legal and still offer good exhaust gas flow, it is)
and well made
and its looks are that good -
I am basically interested 🙂

Any loved Evora deserves that kind of attention to details when you start tuning.

Just feel sorry that the weight is not lower than stock.
But I like the more throaty 2x3=6 cylinder sound and I expect a feelable performance improvement.

At the moment I run the stock exhaust (German police is checking far too often meanwhile) but a high flow cat back system and the headers from Komo-Tec: result is that it sounds even more like a hoover (like a smooth 6 in one System) with closed valve but then when I open the throttle, the valve and the revs go up it sounds brilliantly aggressive and it really does feel much more responsive than before. 

But this system here is something else. But it wont be TÜV-legal overhere in Germany.

• 11 months later...

I added the Radium at last recently and the sound of the exhaust has really benefited from the increased airflow. I'll RR it soon to see what power increases these 2 additions have made. 

Here's a quick vid from a drive last night. Obvs speed up the footage and edited out the boring bits :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.