Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S3/Turbo Tyre Options - Page 5 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S3/Turbo Tyre Options

I have an S2 Esprit and I am waiting to fit some 15 inch rims from Image Wheels, I have bought the tyres which are Continental Eco Sport, 225/60x15 rears and 195/60x15 fronts and are a matching pair.

I obviously have not fitted them yet until I get the wheels but they look ok and are a pretty good make. Looks wise the only gripe I have is that the fronts have only three grooves, the rears are ok and have four. The only other matching tyres I could find in the same size were the Falkens, the Continentals were dearer by approx £80.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 13/12/2020 at 10:28, PaulM said:

Update on the tyres. Ordered the R888r, sidewall is about 11mm shallower on the rears than standard - but they have a good roundness to them so it’s hardly noticeable. Done my sidewall stickering today using the new dry sump range by tyrewallstickers.com and they look great. Obviously look a bit out of place off the car and in bright white, but that’ll soon change. Thought about doing them after tyre is on the wheel but this made it all a bit easier. They took about two hours to do and was a really easy process, can’t even get a pick underneath any to try and peel them off. They’re stuck fast but only time will tell!

Got new aluminium centre caps and badges too, so I’m ready for the 3pc wheels to come back and get it all assembled ready for the car to be done at paint.

5342D02C-9C0A-41E2-8A91-B2F7D29DA4C0.jpeg

A669E356-D4BF-4B74-89F9-C76211AE78F4.jpeg

46DB62B1-258D-4F81-B4E5-135F5707384B.jpeg

3A5433E9-7B88-41D3-B6F6-4D9D059BE792.jpeg

80C50751-01F8-4127-8CD4-3078C0425245.jpeg

Do you have any pictures of the wheels and tires on your car?  What sizes did you run front and back with the Toyo R888R

Cheers,

Ross

46 minutes ago, Rosco5000 said:

Do you have any pictures of the wheels and tires on your car?  What sizes did you run front and back with the Toyo R888R

Cheers,

Ross

Mine aren’t fitted yet and the car isn’t back from paint - but if you scroll back a page or two you’ll see the green turbo with these size R888r on.

Hope that helps!

• 2 months later...

What is the current consensus on S3 Turbo tyres.

Searching online, the three most common models for 225/60 R15 seem to be the Uniroyal Rainsport, Falken ZIEX ZE310 EcoRun and Continental EcoContact.

Cross referencing reviews, I have ruled out the Rainsport as they are not so good in the dry when most of the driving will be done.

That leaves the Falken and Continentals. The Falkens seem to get better reviews than the Continental although they have a higher rolling resistance.

What are people's thoughts. Any others to look for ?

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

• 1 month later...
On 23/04/2021 at 11:15, Bling said:

Also came across these Toyo CF2 which get good reviews. Anyone tried them

Yeah, I've tried these on the rear of my S3 with CF1s on the front.  The CF1s are pretty good on the front and are a bit more pointy than the Goodyears were.  It's a very direct feel but not quite as subtle as the Goodyears were.  Changing the pressures by pound or two around 20lbs affects how pointy you want it.  There's a slight lack of delicacy.  The rears are pretty soft (on my car anyway) and I like the way they hunker down and bite into corners sometimes.  I still prefer the Goodyears, though mine were pretty worn so were getting a lot of rubber on the road. I never felt  I got as much grip with the Toyos at the back but I think they are significantly better than my worn Goodyears in the wet.  That does matter as wet roads are really the only places an Esprit is likely to misbehave.

In general I was a bit disappointed with how the Toyos turned out on the Esprit but my expectations were high.  I went for them because I had changed over to Toyos on my Excel  (I think it was the non SE, not sure) and that was a transformation from the Goodyears.  All the handling characteristics were still there, only improved by some margin, and the ride had just been transformed.  It felt so much more modern, softer and more comfortable - and with less bump noise too.  Until they went on I hadn't noticed that the Excel was a bit rough and rattley because its handling is so perfect, but those tyres took it up a notch in terms of luxury.  

The Toyos look OK and fit the arches quite nicely, but nothing like as good as that green Esprit above.  In fact I was surprised at how rounded and old fashioned the rears looked when I looked at them a few moments ago. They are very like the old Goodyears.

In summary I am likely to try something else next time (which is about now).  If I could get a bit more rubber on the road at the back that would be great.  I'd just like a little bit more ultimate grip at the rear. The front is still Ok and I'm not sure what I want there.  Maybe a little less vibration and harshness but what is missing is that feel that told you that the handling engineers at Lotus knew exactly what they were doing. There was something magical about the communication and feel with the front Goodyears.

Christian Thomas

• Like 2

Christian, not sure where you live, but if you are in the UK I have two Continental Eco Sport 225/60x15 rears and two 195/60 front tyres, they are brand new and have not been fitted. I am not going down the fifteen inch route now, sticking to fourteens. Pm me if you are interested.

Chris.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM
On 14/06/2021 at 01:17, Christian Thomas said:

Yeah, I've tried these on the rear of my S3 with CF1s on the front.  The CF1s are pretty good on the front and are a bit more pointy than the Goodyears were.  It's a very direct feel but not quite as subtle as the Goodyears were.  Changing the pressures by pound or two around 20lbs affects how pointy you want it.  There's a slight lack of delicacy.  The rears are pretty soft (on my car anyway) and I like the way they hunker down and bite into corners sometimes.  I still prefer the Goodyears, though mine were pretty worn so were getting a lot of rubber on the road. I never felt  I got as much grip with the Toyos at the back but I think they are significantly better than my worn Goodyears in the wet.  That does matter as wet roads are really the only places an Esprit is likely to misbehave.

In general I was a bit disappointed with how the Toyos turned out on the Esprit but my expectations were high.  I went for them because I had changed over to Toyos on my Excel  (I think it was the non SE, not sure) and that was a transformation from the Goodyears.  All the handling characteristics were still there, only improved by some margin, and the ride had just been transformed.  It felt so much more modern, softer and more comfortable - and with less bump noise too.  Until they went on I hadn't noticed that the Excel was a bit rough and rattley because its handling is so perfect, but those tyres took it up a notch in terms of luxury.  

The Toyos look OK and fit the arches quite nicely, but nothing like as good as that green Esprit above.  In fact I was surprised at how rounded and old fashioned the rears looked when I looked at them a few moments ago. They are very like the old Goodyears.

In summary I am likely to try something else next time (which is about now).  If I could get a bit more rubber on the road at the back that would be great.  I'd just like a little bit more ultimate grip at the rear. The front is still Ok and I'm not sure what I want there.  Maybe a little less vibration and harshness but what is missing is that feel that told you that the handling engineers at Lotus knew exactly what they were doing. There was something magical about the communication and feel with the front Goodyears.

Christian Thomas

Welcome to TLF Christian. :welcome:

Hope you get your tyres sorted out.

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 6 months later...

Would this size combo work on an S3:

Front - 205/55R15 (-1.2% diameter compared to OEM)

Rear - 225/60R15 (-1.9% diameter compared to OEM)

I would rather matching patterns front to rear than absolute correct sizing, and a tyre categorised as "performance" rather than "eco".

Kumho ECSTA HS51 have a 88V front (AUD176) and a 96W rear (AUD197) rated tyre. They call it a Ultra High Performance tyre that provides comfort and high performance. Sounds like a win to me.

https://www.kumho.com.au/tyres/passenger/ecsta-hs51/

• 8 months later...
On 15/06/2020 at 13:38, drdoom said:

Just in response to the Speedline dialogue of earlier postings I am quite confident that the 235/60-14 rear size would be a sound choice were they available in a worthy tyre. On diameter, therefore speedo calibration, the 205/70 is bracketed by the 235/60 and 245/60 offerings by BF Goodrich with either being only marginally off. All vehicle speedometers other than GPS driven are inclined to be off by 5 - 10%, partly because tyre manufacturers are permitted some latitude in rolling circumference for a stated size. After some research I believe the 10.5 front discs might well have fitted within the Speedlines, FWIW.

On journalists, we are all indebted to Walton and the others for what has been compiled, warts and all. The printed works are entertainment products perhaps as much as they are reference material. Not every response from those interviewed must necessarily be the whole truth, as a scrappy little concern like Lotus would be ill-advised to give away their game at the best of times. By the way, I find John Simister's book, Lotus Esprit Turbo, published by Salamander to be the only source without error of any consequence.

Cheers 

I stumbled on this old thread searching 15”performances tires… 

I had an early 82 S3, but I wanted one with the standard 4lug speedlines wheels listed. 

The factory brochure showed pics of a yellow S3 only the larger option BBS.  I was also convinced never actually existed since I’ve never even seen a single photo of a speedline S3 coupled with the fact it necessitated the complexity in offer the same car with different 4 or 5 lug hubs. 

I attended a lotus club meet at donnington back in 2001, lo and behold I saw the hen’s teeth…a S3 with speedlines!    I had to double check since it had the smaller S2 bumpers on it.  But the small light-catcher ridge on the rockers and larger vented intake ears indicates it was indeed a S3.  I posted of photos of it (red car, silver speedlines) on this forum many years ago.  I will see if I can find it to repost. 

On the question whether a 14inch fits over the 275mm (10.4) rotors, I do believe they can with room to spare.   I have personally fitted 15 inch BBS E50’s wheels over my 930 with factory brakes specs of 309mm (12.7”) which is only 2.3” larger than the rotor diameter.  The vented rotors and 917 styled 4 piston calipers are also much larger in cross section than the thin solid rotors and esprit calipers.  It’s extremely tight but it clears. 

lotus my have added to the confusion on the S1/S2 tire sized.   The early brochures featured the preproduction (red) car that had various item not found on production car… interior vents, rear inset taillights panel, optimistic weight and yes those narrower 195 60 14 front tires.  But these specs my have gotten transferred into print for the publication on the actual production cars.  I think they updated the spec sheet to 205’s with the white S1 brochure car 

To the best of my knowledge, I can’t recall if the production S1 was ever equipped with 195 fronts.  Ive seen brand new S1 cars way back when in 2 different dealerships and they had all had 205 fronts.   These Dunlop SP tires I recall were sexy had hell, beautiful sidewall sections and a complex tread pattern.  I wish longstone would prod Dunlop to reproduce them  

Just my observations… cheers

PP 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, drdoom said:

Question for @pyropolymer: were those BBS E50's standard droplip(?) profile rims or flatband?

Flatband barrels with narrow early centers. They are pitas since you have to split them to remove tires not to damage them. 

I need to return them to original gold, not easy since they are Mg 

Here’s the clearance to the brakes.  Braid, factory fuchs and these E50’s 15’s clear, it may not always be the case with other 15” wheels. 

9B72B0A9-4C6A-4591-9913-D0336E97F8BE.jpeg

435F1887-9305-4306-A2F2-216B1BF07CB9.jpeg

Edited by pyropolymer
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

For what it's worth my S1 owning mate has fitted BBS flat-band type wheels in 15" diameter for the front,  drop centre 16" for the rear and feels the flat bands may well afford greater caliper clearance than do the conventional 16" rims.

Cheers

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know if you have better options in the UK/Europe, but in the US there really aren't many options. I ended up running 17" wheels which gave me some options.

IMG_3207.jpg.8e343a1d259b8e1d72394e43d12dcc60.jpg

I built a set of wheels based on BMW two piece wheels (I stretched the rears 2 inches so I have a staggered 17x8 and 17x10 setup). I found a set of Falken Azenis tires to fit then (225/45R17 and 275/40R17).

I know there are purists that want to keep things stock, but my stock wheels had seen better days, and I chose a wheel that still has an OEM feel (I think).

IMG_3088.jpg.65d748ea35a309fd31e0afe0967f6953.jpg

1997 Jeep XJ | 1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit

Looks like Pirelli P600's are currently available in 235s but there is no way I'm paying near £400 for a single tyre.   I've just put on a set of Falken ZIEX ZE310 (sadly, only in a 225 for the rear).   So I've now got 4 matched tyres with a 2023 date code with the correct speed rating.   They look fine and get good reviews.  They feel no different from my previous Pirellis just pottering around, but I've not yet tested them at speed.

On 06/08/2023 at 09:20, DrieStone said:
On 06/08/2023 at 09:20, DrieStone said:

I don't know if you have better options in the UK/Europe, but in the US there really aren't many options. I ended up running 17" wheels which gave me some options.

IMG_3207.jpg.8e343a1d259b8e1d72394e43d12dcc60.jpg

I built a set of wheels based on BMW two piece wheels (I stretched the rears 2 inches so I have a staggered 17x8 and 17x10 setup). I found a set of Falken Azenis tires to fit then (225/45R17 and 275/40R17).

I know there are purists that want to keep things stock, but my stock wheels had seen better days, and I chose a wheel that still has an OEM feel (I think).

IMG_3088.jpg.65d748ea35a309fd31e0afe0967f6953.jpg

How are these tires behaving noise wise for daily driving?

I am to put on the same type of 17” rims.