Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Delco-Moraine deletion - production guinea pig. - Page 3 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Delco-Moraine deletion - production guinea pig.

• Gold FFM

Jeez, I hope it's not a rad.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Got the new TPS today, on and adjusted.  Now everything except the braking system is finished.  There's one brake pipe I'm not happy with, so I'll remake that.  Still waiting for the replacement vac pump.  Having a baaad time getting the washers I need for the final hydraulic fit; hopefully that will be resolved tomorrow.  A Farmyard fix may be imminent...

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Figure out the lamp driver and I'll admit you're my father.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Lamp driver sorted out, thanks to Barry!  This overrides the low pressure warning light that was problematic.

I've been struggling to get copper washers for the proportioning valve outlets.  They have a critical OD of 12.75mm.  Ian had good access to get these fabricated; unfortunately I do not.  So today I gave up, whipped out a file, and made them myself from standard washers.  90 minutes of non-stop fettling, and my fingers are agony.  But, sorted!  I've altered a part spec, reducing the specified banjo bolts from 20mm to 18mm to accommodate the thinner washers, and relieved the valve slightly, enabling me to get the rake I need on the pipe unions.  As soon as the banjo bolts arrive, I'll have a brake pedal.  Reminder to self:  anneal washers.

IMAG0546-20180524-210445148.jpg

IMAG0543-20180524-210509326.jpg

Replacement vac pump arrived, and works just peachy, so I cut and filed the mounting lugs to enable fitting in the recess with appropriate brackets - again.  Lovely to get most of it back together again.  Another slight deviation from Ian's fit: - a 4-way plug for the vacuum electrics.

IMAG0553-20180524-21034780.jpg

IMAG0559-20180524-210153341.jpg

IMAG0556-20180524-210240459.jpg

IMAG0557-20180524-210221990.jpg

This one will get the ultimate test once finished, as it's due an MoT next week...

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
9 minutes ago, Sparky said:

This one will get the ultimate test once finished, as it's due an MoT next week

And this is another critical stage IMHO. I am practical and competent - however in my previous employment I instigated a buddy check system on many critical path issues. It really helps to have another eye cast over such works. Setting up the wilwood valve can be done on the road - but 5 minutes on an MOT roller and you know everything is right and proper.

looking forward to seeing it finished chap 👍

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Bazza, have you gone 60/40?  And are they stock brakes?

• Gold FFM

Yes - I’ve got it set at 60/40 presently. It’s standard brembo front and rear. Running green stuffs in there and slotted discs. All of that was on the car when I got it.

the greenstuffs are much much better when they are hot

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I did a fair amount around the local area - braking hard from 30-40MPH.  Finally settled on 7 turns out for the Wilwood and 19Hg vacuum.  I'll get it on the rollers on Tuesday hopefully.  Then I'll see how it brakes at higher speeds.  Looking forward to giving this one its legs now it's running so nicely.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

And what do you reckon then @Sparky?  

The braking is fantastic with a servo conversion brembo isn’t it? Even with the dire greenstuff pads on mine - it’s bloody amazing - a proper full on transformation. What is the best is the confidence when you press that pedal it will work, be consistent and stop in far far less time

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Wonderful pedal!  First time I've enjoyed driving an S4 (apologies to owners but I'd never have a car with the DM setup).  I'm cautiously optimistic; time will tell...

• Gold FFM

My S4 was the first DM car I’ve had - it’s just fine. The S4s was dire and properly dangerous. I put this down to the solenoids sitting over time and not being used as it was fine with the fuses pulled. 

Its critical the brakes work and consistently - I absolutely love the set up now. It’s easily maintained, parts availability will be superb and it’s a nice servo setup as frankly abs doesn’t belong on a Sportscar.

Only here once

I have my Wilwood at five turns for the moment but I need to bed the new Mintex M1144 pads in first, so haven’t settled on a pressure as yet. I’ve set it up to 21” vacuum, I could come down a bit from there, reckon it might be better with slightly less assistance. Definitely interested to learn how you get on for a comparison.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

The older, non-ABS Esprits (with the external vacuum pump) were designed to run the brake servos with a minimum of 18" vacuum, so that is a good setting to aim for.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM
12 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

I have my Wilwood at five turns for the moment but I need to bed the new Mintex M1144 pads in first, so haven’t settled on a pressure as yet. I’ve set it up to 21” vacuum, I could come down a bit from there, reckon it might be better with slightly less assistance. Definitely interested to learn how you get on for a comparison.

Don’t think my greenstuff lumps of damp oak help comparisons presently. Yes I think I’m at 23, but I’m not convinced the gauge is accurate either as I fettled it to zero It. The brakes are without question superb - but yes possibly too much assistance presently. As it is - I’m happy and don’t want to adjust just yet without checking what the vac is accurately 

Only here once

18 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Don’t think my greenstuff lumps of damp oak help comparisons presently. Yes I think I’m at 23, but I’m not convinced the gauge is accurate either as I fettled it to zero It. The brakes are without question superb - but yes possibly too much assistance presently. As it is - I’m happy and don’t want to adjust just yet without checking what the vac is accurately 

Time for a new gauge?

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Yes - I will check it though - but believe it needs replacement. Doesn’t change the fact the brakes are sublime

Only here once