Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Esprit S1 import finally arrives! - Page 14 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

My Esprit S1 import finally arrives!

If you haven't checked/replaced it already, I would look at the condenser. Pull one of the plug wires and see if you get a nice strong spark when you crank it. 

Edited by omegaman

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That’s positive with the tanks, the pumps can misbehave when they break down, is yours the older version with points or the later electronic one?

I use sonic cleaner fluid in my sonic bath, it gets pretty filthy every time I do cleaning of carbs so amazing what comes out.

Are you running points in the dizzy or electronic ignition? 
Certainly worth feeling along the leads when running to confirm no defects, this issue caught me out years ago after searching for a misfire issue for ages, they were pretty new leads hence my early dismissal.

I’m sure you’ll be running fine again soon as can’t be much 🙂

Do or do not, there is no try! 

How does it idle? I'm inclined to suspect something in the fuel supply, more likely carb than pump given the fact it runs well when given the boot. Have a lovely trip!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So the car started with the bouncing speedo syndrome. Not for long however because it them packed up completely. I ws a bit surprised because I changed the cable when I did all the work on the interior. I checked at the instrument end and all is well. At the gearbox end, the 'extension' seems to be the culprit. (from the speedo angled drive into the gearbox.)

On taking it out the square threaded inner is worn and looks as if it will need replacing. 

IMG_0317.JPG

Can you get just that or will I have to buy the complete unit?

On dismantling the unit the bl**dy knurled cog fell into the gearbox. Nice. So have had to remove the rear plate.

IMG_0319.JPG

I have had a look on SJ's website but cannot find any reference to these bits. Any idea what they would come under? I looked at speedo drive ands gearbox but nothing.

IMG_0315.JPG

As a by the way, for thoese that follow my adventures with my Esprit, you may remember me trying to drain the original gearbox and finding that there wasnt any oil in it!! Thus knackering the whole gearbox. I had a look to see if I could use the unit from it and found this---- 

IMG_0316.JPG

I guess it generated some heat!!!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, williamtherebel said:

Any idea what they would come under? I looked at speedo drive ands gearbox but nothing.

Try contacting Harry Martens at www.ds-vitesse.com, he's the expert on these transmissions.

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

23 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

Can you get just that or will I have to buy the complete unit?

I have had a look on SJ's website but cannot find any reference to these bits. Any idea what they would come under? I looked at speedo drive ands gearbox but nothing.

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/B079N6020F.htm

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow cannot believe its been September since I posted anything!

I took the Esprit off the road in October because there was a number of thing that I wanted to do over Winter. As usual its taken longer than I thought due to the "whilst this is off we might as well do that".... etc

Due to wanting to do a few things we decide to remove the engine and gearbox. Because we had already removed the gearbox twice before, we thought it easier to remove them separately.

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

Fitted new cam belt, renovated the tensioner and fitted a new V belt.

Changed the cam covers for ones that actually said LOTUS on them.

IMG_0591.JPG

• Like 1

Whilst the engine was out, painted the inside of the engine bay.

Sprayed Waxoil into the trailing arms.

Replaced the battery shelf because it had de-laminated and was pretty beat up.

Made 2 new small shelves (they were missing but had the old bit of carpet so I could it use it as a template), and also the brackets that they fit to.

Fitted new UJ’s on the passenger side which were a bit ‘tired’.

Replaced the exhaust system. It still had the original catalytic convertor. (dated 1977!) It weighed a ton (well not quite) but I wanted rid of it. (adding lightness!!) I purchased a system from another TLF member. However when I came to fit it, it wouldn't! It was just slightly out, so just used his back box, my downpipe and purchased a flexible pipe to go between them. We had to cut down the original ‘cat’ to get the 2 ends with the flanged ends. My long suffering mate Roger did a good job on welding the ends to the flexible pipe. We'll see how it works when I fire her up.

I thought I might sell the cat for the precious metals that were in it.(yeah right!) However when I looked inside all I could see was dusty crap! (I’m hoping the HP will improve.)

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

Replaced the K & N filters that were already on. There were no trumpets on the carbs, so purchased a set and already had a set of better fitting K & N’s.

Replaced my home made heat shields for the exhaust side engine mounts. There is no sign of heat damage so I’m well happy with them. A bit fiddly but well worth the effort.

Treated myself to a new chrome header tank to replace the home made one that was on the car when I purchased it, complete with a rough iron bracket held on with jubilee clips!

s.jpg

Replaced all the fluids – coolant, oil, gearbox oil, brake fluid etc etc

Fired her up and started first time. With all the exhaust changes Im a bit surprised that the engine note doesnt seem to have changed at all.

Had a short run out and all seemed ok. However when I got back and had a look underneath, I had been leaking coolant. On further investigation the small top pipe on the new header tank was broken in the rubber pipe. I was a bit shocked at how thin it is. Looked as if it had perhaps torn off with the side to side movement when fitting the rubber hose to it. I sent it back and they have repaired it, so now all good. 

1 hour ago, williamtherebel said:

It still had the original catalytic convertor. (dated 1977!)

Cats didn't come in until 1991 🤔

Cheers,

John W

• 4 weeks later...