Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Esprit S1 import finally arrives! - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

My Esprit S1 import finally arrives!

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 16:27, GTK said:

Hiya Lez,

Know there's a large element of teaching grandmother to suck eggs but my own wiper motor came into my path today so I took a snap of the backside of it, out of interest for how the final drive gear is held in... releasing this saves having to drill out the neat rivets.

Wiper Motor.JPG

Hi George, thanks for the info. On further investigation, it looks like the original motor has been stood in water. Its was in pretty bad condition. However I acquired another, second hand motor, many years ago for my Eclat which I never used. I have now used both to make 1 decent one with a lot of help from my best mate. Now fitted and working (although when I say working - working to the same degree as my Eclat - doesn't really like a dry windscreen and only with the engine running!) and it now parks on the correct side. So another job done.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I know the Federal cars sit higher than UK ones. I fitted my Wolfies one side to see how bad it is. Its Bad!

UK Esprit on top. Mine underneath. Yeuk!.

Been in touch with Lotusbits to see if they can supply some UK springs. (amonst other things!)

wheel.jpg

wheela.JPG

On 25/10/2018 at 20:57, williamtherebel said:

I know the Federal cars sit higher than UK ones. I fitted my Wolfies one side to see how bad it is. Its Bad!

UK Esprit on top. Mine underneath. Yeuk!.

Been in touch with Lotusbits to see if they can supply some UK springs. (amonst other things!)

Have you by any chance removed the interior and glass etc? My UK car sat like that during restoration until I rebuilt it and fitted everything back on.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

7 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

Have you by any chance removed the interior and glass etc? My UK car sat like that during restoration until I rebuilt it and fitted everything back on.

Ive only removed the seats and spare wheel. Everything else is as it should be. I was told that the federal cars have different springs because of US height legislation.

47 minutes ago, williamtherebel said:

I was told that the federal cars have different springs because of US height legislation.

Federal cars had to meet headlight minimum height requirements and so had taller springs. The shots below are one of my car sitting on what I believe to be Federal springs, and one of it back in it's early days before any modifications [respectively].

Esprit Wide '17.jpg

Esprit Wide '80.jpg

3 hours ago, GTK said:

Federal cars had to meet headlight minimum height requirements and so had taller springs. The shots below are one of my car sitting on what I believe to be Federal springs, and one of it back in it's early days before any modifications [respectively].

Esprit Wide '17.jpg

Esprit Wide '80.jpg

Yes there cirtainly is a difference. Hopefully Lotusbits can supply me with UK springs. Im still waiting for them to get back to me.

It's not unreasonable to cut perhaps 3/4 of a coil off the fronts of the Federal springs. It's been done on a buddy's car, along with Koni dampers and larger wheels and tires, to good effect.

Cheers

. . . .  read that, " . .. front Federal springs . . ." if you will. Morning coffee yet to kick in.:sleeping:

Lez,

Years ago , I bought a set of brand new front springs from SJ sportscars for my UK esprit S2.2. The reason , my car sat to low and I thought new springs would solve this.

After installing these new front springs, I had the feeling the car sat even lower???? So I decided to change again to the former ones. Since then I solved the problem by adjusting hight to my likes with a stainless steel ring ( made to an exact fit) and the right thickness of rubber ring in the spring seat. All is fine since.

However.

Maybe these brand new SJ springs ( never used in the corner of my workshop)  will sit right on your car ( lower it) and your higher springs sit right on my car ( that is without the rubber donuts).

Your S1 should lower and my S2.2  should lift......

I have no idea about what shipping would cost between Belgium and  UK, but we could just change out our springs to give it a try. I can send mine to you, so you can try them and then you can decide if they are ok, keep them and send me your higher ones in return,  if not ok , just send them back to me.

Geert

SAM_7914.JPG

Edited by gvy
  • Like 1

Sounds like a plan! Are your 2.2 springs and my S1 springs compatible? Im presuming you only want to swop the front springs? I don't know the condition of my springs (although they look ok). If they are compatible and you would be happy swopping your new ones for my second hand ones, I will see what the postage costs will be. You can PM me if you like.

According to the SJ sportscars website, They make no difference in the frontsprings for the S1 and S2 cars, so I think they are good.

I have only the spare fronts, since my rears are fine . As I explained, I have my original frontsprings reinstalled and the car is in perfect condition, with the extra rubber donuts. I am just curious, if I installed higher federal ones, maybe I could just remove the donuts on mine

Maybe you could measure yours first and compare to mine, to prevent making shipping costs for nothing. this is no hurry, My spare springs arent going anywhere, so take your time to decide.

Thickness of the spring is 11.4mm, total height is 34.5cm

shipping weight of two springs is 4.5 kg

Geert

Edited by gvy

I purchased the car in June and I am gagging to drive the car (hopefully at the end of this week). I will take the springs off and measure them after that and send you a photo.  Postage cost for 4.5 kilos doesn't seem too bad. I will be in touch. Cheers. lez

Ok. So Ive have refitted everything I took off the car and replaced/fitted parts for its "small resto" just to get in on the road. So new engine mounts (with heat shield), new gearbox bushes, new throttle cable, new front bumper with indicators/side lights, replaced federal headlights for UK ones, refurbed the headlight lift motor, replaced wiper motor, fitted new shocks, fitted genuine Lotus wiper and indicator stalks, (still looking for a steering wheel), exhaust gasket,(there wasn't one), new seat belts (there wasn't any!), traced and disposed of miles of old wiring and relays(plenty of those!) etc etc etc etc

Still loads to do of course but I think I might be able to fire it up and actually try to drive it tomorrow. Wow.!! Wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed!

I'll report back tomorrow with a couple of pictures for proof -- good or bad.

• Like 1

Who was it said "the best laid plans of mice and men"? Got to the garage with my mate to put the front bonnet and tailgate on  the S1 before firing her up and having a drive, only for the care home that looks after my dad (98 years old)to phone me and tell me he had fallen and split his head open and had been taken to hospital. So off to the hospital etc etc. The good news is he has had his head  stiched up and is now back safe and sound. Seems to be Ok but was tired this afternoon. Going back tomorrow and see how he is. So Esprit on the back burner for now. However ---- soon!!!!!  

As a P.S. he asked when he could have a drive in the S1 (as a passenger). I told him if we can get him in (and the more difficult scenario of getting him back out after!)  as soon as he is able.

Years ago, I had a job interview to work on the Oil Rigs and had to go to Aberdeen for an interview. He shared the driving there and back in the Eclat. (still got it of course!)

• Like 1

Ok so now the bad news! It slips out of gear, brakes are spongy, creaking from the front, wing mirrors wouldn't adjust. However on getting it back into the garage found that brake servo seal is split so need a new one, (What's its off?), Dismantled the wing mirrors and reassembled ok. Gear linkage must need adjusting (what do you think?) Not sure about the creaking from the front.  So not too bad. 

Going to remove the front springs, measure them and see about swapping them for @gvy 's springs. I can check the brakes whilst I'm at it. Already replaced the shocks.