Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Esprit S1 import finally arrives! - Page 13 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

My Esprit S1 import finally arrives!

You need to upgrade the cooling. I documented what I did on my restoration thread. Inexpensive. Triple cored radiator (£300), 3x 7" fans, relays, wiring and fusebox (~£300 or so).

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@Fridge that's exactly what Im doing!

After limping home in the Esprit, I put it in the garage to cool down overnight. The next morning there was coolant all over the garage floor.

Further investigation revealed one corroded radiator pipe and a heater pipe with 2 pin holes in it.

• Like 2

So, I've ordered 2 new radiator pipes, 2 new heater pipes plus the 2 small pipes at the front. Also a new set of grommets.

Seeing as I have to remove the front spoiler, radiator and fans to remove and refit the new pipes, this is an ideal opportunity to replace the butchered spoiler that is on, the radiator that is tied on with cable ties (very embarrassing!) and the original airy fairy fans. 

front spoilers.JPG

radiators.JPG

original fans.JPG

I had already acquired a front spoiler from SJ when I imported the car, purchased a reconditioned radiator some time ago and have now ordered some nice new fans from Lotusbits , a la @Fridge.

Having read up on replacing the pipes and seeing as everyone says its a pig to get the 'flanges' at the ends of the pipes past the grommets, has anyone got a sure fired method of doing it? Or any tips? Cheers.

As a 'by the way', - the radiator that was with the car( that ive just removed)and was inclined through the butchered spoiler, is in fact a correct S1 radiator, its just minus the frame. So I will keep it as a spare.

Interested myself in what has been found on passing the beaded tubes through grommets. One can purchase a beading tool for modest cost, useful as long as tube is in soft temper and wall is of light gauge.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/topages/ezbeader.php

Well perhaps not so inexpensive.

Not sure what pipes you mean, the aluminium ones?

If so, with care. Lubing the grommet inner circumference with washing-up liquid may help.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

Phoned up and they sent the correct ones the day after. 

Had a go at fitting them over the weekend and with help from Marie managed to get the heater pipes fitted. Using washing up liquid on the grommets certainly helped. Thanks @Fridge

Unfortunately  when starting to fit the radiator pipes found that the large grommets were the wrong size.

Phoned up Lotusbits again and they have promised to send the correct ones with the upgraded fans I have ordered.

Lets hope everything now goes according to plan.🤞

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've put new foam on the top of the radiator so nearly ready to refit everything.

There seems to be a channel for more foam to be fitted on the bottom of the radiator. Is this correct? I would have though that if so, its a prime contender for water to soak through and rust the radiator frame. Also there seems to be a small gap between the frame and the bottom of the valance, so not a lot of room for foam. Besides, the pre-drill holes in the valance to hold the frame in place doesn't lend itself to positioning it any different. Is this correct? My bodged radiator didn't have any . Cheers.

IMG_5001.JPG

• Gold FFM

I think I would like to compete on the beat my bodge thread as well... although sadly no flip flops found yet!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Wow, I haven't posted anything since last year!!

Well this year I need help again.

Took the Esprit for a run over to Leeds last week. 

It ran fine and it was a lovely day.

However jumped into it yesterday for a run and it is very hesitant on low revs. 

Its happy at speeds over 50 with no problems. 70 or 80 likewise. If I accelerate hard (away from the traffic lights for example) there's no problem. But if Im just trundling along at 30 -40 its like kangaroo petrol !! (if you know what I mean!) [not as bad but you get the idea!]

Ive checked the jets - they were all fine, but I gave them a blow with the airline anyway. Checked the float chambers for contaminates - they were fine.

Cleaned the filters so they are nice and clean. But still have the same problem. 

What else can I try? Any ideas?

• Like 1

Hmm. Got to be either fuel or spark timing, one would think. Sticking distributor advance? Vacuum leaks? I'd investigate vacuum first.

• Like 2

Though @williamtherebel has a federal car, I'm not sure if it's still on Strombergs or if the vacuum pipe is connected. It certainly isn't on a domestic S1 running Del'lortos.

Easiest thing to check is the condition of the sparkplugs, and their gaps. Eradicate that from the equation.

If you run unleaded e10 fuel and it has sat unused for months the carbs could be jellied up, or a lot of moisture has built up as it's hydroscopic, but I think that's a long shot after such a long run. I run Super Unleaded e5 fuel for that reason.

Another possibility could be the jet stacks being fouled with congealed fuel. They're easy enough to clean using brake/carb cleaner and an airline etc.

The floats may be sticking? Though I think that would cause other problems. Not sure.

Are the points or electronic ignition module in good order? I had a Luminition Magnatronic unit fail on me. Often when hot. The sensors tend to break down unlike the Optotronic version. I'm now running Petronix on the fully rebuilt original 25D distributor.

Some pointers at least. Sounds simple either way.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. 

It has 45 Del'lortos. 

I only put E5 in it.

It has been run regularly through the winter. I have Accuspark electronic ignition. I have use the same on my Eclat for years with no problem, but it is worth checking to  eradicate it from list.

I will check the spark plugs as well but seeing as the car runs great above 50 or during hard acceleration cant see it being that. But again no problem with checking to make sure. 

It is a weird one that's for sure. Thanks again for your pointers. 

• Like 1

OK, so like other domestic S1s, it has no vacuum. The Del'lorto manifold has no take off for one. Certainly the ones I've seen haven't.

Has worked in the passed, so I assume the advance weights work OK.

Is your fuel pump working OK? They can begin to fail, but if it works at speed....

As @drdoomsuggested I would check your ignition. I had problems the other way. Once warm and under load it would intermittently misfire. I found it to be the ignition module wires to the coil as the engine accelerated. I could have replaced them, but decided to overhaul the distributor and fit a new module as it was the one item just fitted back in the car.

• Like 2

In regard to ignition troubles it's worthwhile remembering that spark is more likely to fail in higher cylinder pressure conditions, so more likely to manifest when under load as opposed to cruising.

That said one of my most memorable fails, during a journey far from home in my classic Elan, was due to burn through of the distributor rotor dielectric, shorting the HT to ground. Cut the engine clean and without warning while serenely touring the Oregon countryside on a whiff of throttle. Hardly a trace of witness mark visible on the rotor underside where it perched on the shaft.

FWIW

• Like 2

Hi @drdoom and @Fridge.  The Esprit has had to take a back seat this morning. Im making a birthday cake for my granddaughter!

Thanks again for all the input. 

This afternoon (time allowing) I am going to check the plugs, check the distributor, check the fuel pump etc etc

Hopefully something will be amiss, otherwise its scratching head time again!

• Like 2

Good luck. I'm sure you'll solve it.

Crap weather in the North Yorkshire coast, with another classic I need to prepare for a trip out tomorrow. It may have to be an early start for me!

• Like 1

Well another fruitless afternoon of my life gone courtesy of my Lotus!

Unfortunately everything looked good. (except the spark plugs which I cleaned up and reset the gap) Distributor looks fine, as did everything else. Took it out for a run after, and its just as it was. No difference at all.

I cannot do anything else for a bit as besides finishing off the cake, I am suppose to be packing for a weeks break in Tenerife.

I'll puzzle over it when Im sat on a beach doing nothing!

• Confused 1

I'll have a think.

Misfires (kangaroos) at low revs, but OK at higher revs/road speed?

At all engine temperatures ie. first thing and after a cruise?

• Like 1

I’d look at the fueling if you ignition system is in top order, how old is your SU pump?

What condition are your fuel tanks in? If steel then tiny particles can really impact the carbs and give running issues although the filter should pick these up.

What size idle jets are you running in the carbs, often a marginal increase can solve low end stumble as the fuel transitions to the main jets? Even try new OEM ones as they can appear clear but a varnish can accrue invisible to the eye. Without looking in the manual 40’s ring a bell so you could get a set of 45’s. Remember Lotus had to get these cars through emissions so they are just right. I used to swap them over on my Excel HC years ago just prior to MOT for this reason then put the larger ones in after.

Ignition leads can appear fine but only a small defect in the insulation can cause issues.

Really tough without seeing the car, enjoy the holiday and start fresh on your return 👍🏻🙂

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Hi Guys, Many thanks for your thoughts.

@Fridge. Yes Misfires at low revs. No problem when accelerating hard and motorway driving.

@LOTUSMAN33 Pump was fitted when I bought the car. Looked new. The PO had spent a fortune getting the car running. Fuel tanks have been replace with aluminium new ones. I'm running twin 45's.(which were fitted when I bought the car)

Dont think it can be the size of the jets because it has been running great for the last couple of years. (I do take it out regularly)Thinking back, when I had a look at the jets, the idle jets were a bit wet but one of the main jets looked dry. Perhaps I should take them out again and give them another thorough clean (although I thought I had done that already) what would you recommend? Brake cleaner?

I will report back after the holiday. Thanks again for your input. :thumbsup:

• Like 1