Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Esprit S1 import finally arrives! - Page 8 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

My Esprit S1 import finally arrives!

Lez,

Congratulations and well done on the progress you've made! I suggest you remain mindful of the state of your engine mounts as the exhaust side heat cannot be disregarded in terms of poly longevity. I too have got such a kit but am not altogether confident owing to the x-side conditions. Perhaps some form of duct should be placed so as to blow air by the mount in the direction of the manifold?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I am going to check the mounts more or less everytime I drive it to see what effect (if any) my heat shields have on the mounts. I take your point regarding some form of ducting and/or some form of blower on the manifold. I'll keep you posted.

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to replace the crap wing mirrors. After taking them off of course, I found 4 large holes which don't correspond to the new ones. So set about rubbing down, filling, rubbing down, filling- you get the idea. Finally painting and finishing with lacquer. Of course it looks brilliant without any wing mirrors. Lovely clean lines.

IMG_2622.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

• Like 2

However, I have to be practical about it. I cannot see much out the back as it is!

Also managed to source an original steering wheel. Absolutely mint condition. Looks as if it was replace as soon as the initial purchaser got the car.

Bit of intrigue. On the rear of the boss, it has "Walsall Wheels" etched onto it. (see 3rd photo" Were these the original suppliers of the bosses?

IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

IMG_2872.JPG

Ok, its quiz time!

What the hell is this? As I was working in the cockpit, it just appeared on the seat! Havent a clue what it is or where it came from. It looks as if it has been broken off something. Made of wood.

IMG_2864.JPG

I have re-bled the brakes and made a slight adjustment to the servo unit.(or rather my mate has!). There does seems a slight improvement in braking but ill have to have a good drive round in different conditions before I'm happy with it. 

Ive driven the car a few times now and, touch wood, the titanium wrap and heat shields seem to be working ok. But I think this will be an ongoing story. I'll keep you informed if things change.

Im showing the car at one of our local car shows on Sunday. Fleetwood Festival of Transport. (used to be called Fleetwood Tram Sunday). Lots of classic cars, bikes buses, and ------ trams!!. 

That rubber extrusion is the stopper on the inside door handle.

I'm not fitting door mirrors. Too expensive. No more budget. Clean lines. As useful as a chocolate nuclear blast shield.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Quick update on my titanium exhaust wrap and the heat shields. After taking the car out on a few trips covering (only) a few hundred miles, to date they have all been working very well with no signs of melting engine mount polybushes. However time will tell. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 2

More jobs...……….

Fitted my nice new shiny oil cooler courtesy of SJ. The bracket was already fitted. Dare I say it wasn't a problem fitting it??? No rusty fittings, no awkward angles, no bruised knuckles, no swearing!! Just a nice easy job. No doubt I'll be paying for it at a later date with something else!

Also fitted an Accuspark electronic ignition. Ive had one on the Eclat for many years. it really is a 'fit it and forget it' piece of kit. Brilliant. Everything fits inside the distributor cap, so no modules that have to be attached to the side of the engine bay etc. Nice neat job. (sorry, -  forgot to take some photos). 

oil cooler.JPG

oil cooler2.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

• Like 2

Good to see you've got a lower air box. Especially from the States. Seems that many folks remove them to fit K&N style air filters etc. It's a neat little structure.

The SJ oil pipes wouldn't fit my oil filter sandwich plate oddly, and had to return them. Keep a check on the filter and plate for leaks, as I'm trying to solve one during my shakedown test runs.

What's the electrical loom that running down the chassis there? It's quite low. Mine runs around the top of the chassis, with the gearbox reversing connections etc running under the rear luggage area floor.

Did you read the thread about electronic ignition as discussed by @Paul Coleman and @jonroberts? It's very useful. I can never remember what version of electronic ignition they decided was best. Because the distributor is horizontal the version without an 'O' ring isn't suitable for preventing oil leaks from the distributor shaft.

• Like 1

Although I do have the lower air box, its not connected. K&N filters were fitted when I purchased the car. 

Will be keeping an eye out for leaks but so far fingers crossed…...

Its not an electrical loom. Its the speedo cable ! It was pretty ragged down there so wrapped it in insulation tape to tidy it up. Will be replacing it in due course.

Yes I did see the thread regarding the electronic ignition and read it. It was interesting. Like you I cannot remember the conclusion! However because I was happy with the Accuspark on my Eclat I decided to go with them anyway.

My distributor does have the 'O' ring so hopefully no leaks. (a 25D). My Eclat has the 45D version but also has an 'O' ring.

I can't remember, has yours been converted to Del'lorto carbs? May be worth considering obtaining an upper air box and connecting it up. I bought some ducting from SJ. Though available elsewhere if you know the size required. Original upper air boxes are quite rare apparently, but SJ sell a reproduction one. There's an early S1 version for sale on eBay, but that just hangs out of the back like a temporary tumble dryer outlet!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272799794459

BTW I have the original .pdf sales documentation from when you car was advertised in the US a few years back. I could email it to you if you want it.

If the Accuspark distributor worked on the Eclat it should be fine on the Esprit.

Your engine mountings seem to be of the earlier variety oddly. These S1s were an odd bunch.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

Yes it has the twin Del'lorto 45's. 

Perhaps tumble dryer ducting would work!

Yes I would like to have the PDF. Thank you. Its nice to trace the cars history. I do have a bit of history but not that much. 

'odd bunch' doesn't cover it!! But that why we love them. 😍

Mine's lumpy accelerating between 40 to 60mph. Stutters. Since it has been tuned, but wasn't fully road worthy, I suspect the distributor may be at fault.

I'll book it in to check once I've had the wheels aligned and can get it down there.

That's not in the nature of classic cars unfortunately.

Looking at the photo of your new oil cooler and pipework, it seems that SJ Sportscars set me the wrong pipes, which didn't seem to fit. I'll have to check, but I think my sandwich plate is angled. Your plate, or pipes, seem to have a brass adaptor thread also. Though it's difficult to tell.

I'm getting a leak from the sandwich plate, which is annoying. It has a new 'O' ring too. It is difficult to get a good view of it. I'm currently using a (Mann) oil filter from SJ, so it could be the seal from that of course? I will not be changing it for the Lotus oil filter until after I have flushed and drained the system of the current 'running in' oil.

Edited by Fridge

SJ offer 2 different oil cooler adapter plates. 'straight' and 'angled'. I presumed that the angled one was if the car had air con which mine doesn't so opted for the straight one. I just told SJ I wanted to fit an oil cooler and they just sent me everything, like a kit. It included the adapter plate, a seal ring for the adapter, 2 brass unions, 2 sealing washers (for the oil cooler hose union) a oil cooler extension adapter and the hoses (which are different, depending on which adapter plate you opt for).

Finger crossed I haven't had any leaks since fitting it and ive been on a couple of relatively long journeys which should have shown something up if there was a problem. 🙏

Yes. Oil would seep down the o/s crank casement and pool on the ribbed sections and top of the sump. Possibly finding its way into the back of the chassis, where it might drip from both side.

Don't ask me how I know.

From memory, the cheaper (Mann?) oil filter looks like the Lotus one I have ready. It's still a work in progress here, and in shakedown mode after a full nut and bolt restoration.

• Like 1

Started work on the rear bumper and valance. The original rear bumper wasn't the horrible U.S.A. rubber type but was still not the  correct European one so it has to go! Very heavy as well so new one is adding lightness!. Happy days.

Got a 'brand new' bumper and valance from SJ. I put brand new in inverted commas because when  it arrived I was shocked at the condition. If I hadnt known that Steve gets them on special order I would have been convinced that it was second hand. Rough doesn't come near! Full of scratches and marks. I contacted Steve and his reply was that although it would be nice if it came ready for painting, I just had to get on with it! The valance was in a lot better condition and needed minimal rubbing down. However the bumper has taken a long time to get it to an acceptable condition. Lots of filling and lots of wet and dry later Ive just given it a couple of coats of primer. It doesn't fit of course and will need work to cut it down so it matches the contours of the back end of the car. Here are a few photos of the' before'  bumper.

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG