Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hoons, Meets and Convoys to Hotels - Page 2 - Lotus 70th Anniversary Party @ Lotus Cars - 29th September 2018 - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Hoons, Meets and Convoys to Hotels

So, looks like 1pm could work quite well. At chievely.

• Like 2

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I'm departing Murcia on the Wednesday morning, overnighting near Millau. Then after spending the morning playing on some of the amazing twisties in the Parc National des Cévennes, on to near Troyes Thursday night, and through the tunnel on Friday (departs Calais 1450 local time) to arrive in Folkestone at 1425.

Just got to work out how to get over the Thames during the Friday late afternoon madness, :dizzy: .

6 hours ago, Alfa2Evora said:

I'm departing Murcia on the Wednesday morning, overnighting near Millau. Then after spending the morning playing on some of the amazing twisties in the Parc National des Cévennes, on to near Troyes Thursday night, and through the tunnel on Friday (departs Calais 1450 local time) to arrive in Folkestone at 1425.

Just got to work out how to get over the Thames during the Friday late afternoon madness, :dizzy: .

If the tunnel is bad, drive up the A2 rather than the M20 and use the Woolwich Ferry. It is free as well 👍

Guys, don't take the A12 route whatever you do! It is now 50mph from Ipswich all the way to Norwich with lots of speed cameras, not to mention the trucks, tractors and terrible Norfolk Drivers! Single lane all the way

• Thanks 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!

If we say 1300 at Chievely, we have a start of a plan - Kathryn, that allows about half an hour from finishing work to leaving home - is that enough time (I am happy to hang around a bit for you if the others want to push on - but would prefer to be off the M25 sooner rather than later).

As such, to extrapolate the route backwards, I shall be leaving Pembroke at 0830 hours, Friday 28th September - with the following rough 'waypoints'........

0830 - Pembroke Dock

1000 - M4 Swansea West services

1120 - M4 Magor Services

1210 - M4 Leigh Delamere (Eastbound) @clemo

1300 - M4 Chievely @CocoPops @Geoffers @Kathryn

1500 - M25 South Mimms

1600 - M11 Birchanger Green

1730 - Dunston Hall (except I'm staying down the road a bit!)

The timings are a bit of a 'guestimate' based on Google Maps, local knowledge and hopefulness - I have tried to build in a bit of a stop at each location as required - just shortish breaks for a coffee and leg stretch - no meal breaks in there. The times are (sort of) leaving times from each location, so anyone who is joining should try to be ready to go at that time - ie, have your cup of Costa and petrol in the tank!!!

As anyone who knows me will tell you - I'm hopeful that it will work, but expectant that the whole thing will have gone wrong by the time I get to Carmarthen, and I'll roll into Dunston just after they call 'last orders'.

(Oh, and if anyone thinks that the times are way out, feel free to shout - I guesed it a bit - also if anyone else wants to suggest an added 'join point' then go for it - even if it is a phone call on approach to a junction, then a steady drive as you catch up..... the points above are mainly to allow for short breaks along the journey for those who want them - if no-one does, we can just crack on.)

I'll be leaving Malvern mid am Friday on M5/M42/M6/A14/A11. 

I'd love to join the SW convoy along M4 route but it will add some 70 miles and knowing M4/M25 2hrs to my journey!

So can link up with any Midlanders travelling a similar route past Coventry Warwick Leamington etc. 

@dapinky tbh getting to Cheively for 1pm would be cutting it a bit fine. (Especially if I’m late getting out of work). I’ll see what you all decide before committing to joining you. My original plan was to leave home at 1pm and go Oxford - MK - Cambridge - Norwich (or thereabouts!). It’s actually less miles and maybe a little quicker. (According to Google!)

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, Peapod said:

If the tunnel is bad, drive up the A2 rather than the M20 and use the Woolwich Ferry. It is free as well 👍

Thanks for the suggestion/reminder :thumbup: - I've used that before when trying to reach the A1/M1 from the Channel.

On 25/08/2018 at 18:57, Dan E said:

Maddy def up for this would suggest we need to get off M25 before 2pm 

Agreed, we’ve found generally after about 3pm can be terrible, so I think we’ll aim for earlier rather than later. I assume you’ll probably be coming up the M20 as well? 

I might start a new thread for this if there’s a few more takers, there’s probably quite a few of us coming from this part of the country!

Looks like we’ll go for the A11 route - thanks for the warning @Kimbers

• Gold FFM

Maddy A20 for me but yes will will all end up this side of the Dart Tunnel. I spent many a year on a Friday on that nightmare road we should aim to get off before 2pm. I believe I already have at least 3 others with me so we just need somewhere to meet up. 

Be handy to have Alex around just in case 😂

@Dan E Thurrock or do you know another stop before that? Alex will be there, in a panic driving the V8 😂 I think we have a spare driver lined up for the S3, and I’ll be in the Elise, so three of us too - so far!

• Gold FFM

Well now it’s a little detour for you but if you come up the M20/A20 under M25 to Sidcup then go back round the roundabout back up the A20 there is a petrol garage with a fair bit of parking and a McDonald’s that might be easier than Thurrock less than 10mins detour and would work me thinks. 

Let me know, that’s where I am intending to meet up anyway. 

I am happy to meet anyone coming up the M11 at Stanstead services. I could do with a decent drive out and back and have Friday off?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!

3 hours ago, Dan E said:

@Blackngolds3turbo excellent we can work out timings nearer the day, if anyone else is up for this then let both of us know . By my counting that’s 7 cars already 

@LJR FYI chap 

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:04, Dan E said:

Here you go 

A20 Swanley Service Station
Swanley By Pass, Swanley
Sidcup, DA14 5JA

Not that far for me either

• Gold FFM

This might deserve another thread to get a list going , so anyone heading up from Kent, Medway, even Surrey etc how about a meet at Swanley BP garage on the A20 at say midday. 

Then look to leave there about 12.30 after everyone has had a coffee. filled up with Super unleaded.

We could then, if any interest, have another meet at Stanstead Services between 13.30 and 14.00 we should then be past the worse of it for the final leg up to Hethel and a much needed beer or two.

Plan Stan, what could possibly go wrong 😁

First post on this forum, so hello everyone!

Wife and I will be setting off from Manchester mid morning. Staying at the showground.

Will be making a very steady journey of it due to transporting a mobility scooter in/on an S1 Elise.

Really.

Give us a wave if you zoom past us. 😉

Edited by Dave Hedgehog
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 30/08/2018 at 15:07, Chillidoggy said:

I'd have to divert 20 miles to get to Swanley.

Thurrock Services is on my route, though.

M11 Stanstead? I know you love a convoy 😤😜