Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Debating selling my Evora, Hand back, PX? - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Debating selling my Evora, Hand back, PX?

Nathan Pitman

More than half of the issues are to do with interior fit/finish and quality so I'm hoping the simpler experience inside the Elise will solicit fewer problems. The car was two years old when I purchased it, one previous owner. Now has almost 19k on the clock.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Surely that’s grounds for rejection @Nathan Pitman

I think I’d be rejecting it, that’s not acceptable and no wonder you’re looking to change.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

23 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Surely that’s grounds for rejection @Nathan Pitman

I think I’d be rejecting it, that’s not acceptable and no wonder you’re looking to change.

@CocoPops too late for that now and I had what I think is a fair PX offer from Jamie at B&C so it is what it is. Maybe I ended up with a bit of a lemon but it sure was fun while it lasted.

36 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Didn’t the previous owner of your car also have a similar list of issues?

That was @Mandi / @Mandi177 - I know she didn't get on with it but never knew exactly what issues she had.

I have no complaints about the gearbox in sport. It’s not great compared to its German counterparts in touring though. 

Obviously the Elise I’m PXing for is a manual and it has no interior trim to speak of so should be happy days. 😂

On 28/10/2018 at 09:13, CocoPops said:

Elise has much lower running costs. Evora did a set of tyres and a set of front pads in 6k miles. The Elise has barely scrubbed tyres even after 3k and several track days.

Try harder ;)

• Haha 2

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Have you bought this yellow one?

https://www.bellandcolvill.co.uk/usedcars/cardetail/100001446/Lotus/ELISE

If so then looks good and not a bad price. If you find it a bit noisy inside after the Evora you can always add some carpets and a bit of sound deadening. I did this on my 250 - cost peanuts, quite a bit quieter and looks better to my eyes.

Great cars, don't think you will be disappointed 👍

Edited by duncx

Almost identical to that one but a 66 plate with just under 2k on the clock.

lotus-elise-s3-sport-S3674660-1.jpg

Really kind of wanted the Ruby red one but then I wouldn't have been saving myself much money at all. :D

Edited by Nathan Pitman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 01/11/2018 at 12:14, Gashead1105 said:

I've had no warranty issues on my 400 that have necessitated multiple or special trips to the dealer. There is a rattle from the dash currently but I know where it is (steering wheel shroud) and it can be dealt with the next time the car is serviced. A few niggles were sorted at the last service in June but nothing major. 

Just an update on this... Greg @Hangar 111 seems to have fixed it!!! For me, the panel next to the steering wheel shroud was loose (where the little cubby hole is) where the nut wasn't done up tight enough. After a bit of poking around he's sorted it (needed quite a long allen key). Very happy indeed!!

Must admit I've found myself looking at 250 cups. I wouldn't replace the 410 with one but I can see why people especially longer term lotus owners may look at the Evora and the associated running costs and return to an Elise. I was quite astonished that I only had 3500 from a set of rear tyres but then again they are cup 2s which are currently being ditched for regular pilot sports. 

For me the Evora is a tarty daily driver I would never bother doing a track day in it as we have a vx220 for that.  Funnily enough while the Evora has savaged two rear tyres with 3500 very steady road miles (800 running in remember!) The VX on R888s has done 6 trackdays with barely and wear to the tyres and brakes. 

I'm fortunate to have another VX which I'm currently looking at selling with a view to replacing with an Exige s2 but I do keep looking at those Cup 250s! The exige will probably win out as they are a proper classic now and that 2ZZ engine is just a bit more entertaining but the cups particularly with the proper big aero I think will be highly sought after in the future.  

You're the expert but in my humble opinion I think the recent elise cups look value compared to S2 exiges. I look at the price you are advertising my old sprint at (which I paid 27k for 20,000 miles and 7 years ago) and I think the newer elises are a bit of a no brainer when making the comparison. 

3 hours ago, Gashead1105 said:

You're the expert but in my humble opinion I think the recent elise cups look value compared to S2 exiges. I look at the price you are advertising my old sprint at (which I paid 27k for 20,000 miles and 7 years ago) and I think the newer elises are a bit of a no brainer when making the comparison. 

This is why I ended up with a 220 Cup. I was originally looking at S2 Exige at the top end of the market then decided to spend a bit more and go with a year old car instead. Bonus was it still had 2 year warranty outstanding.

Saying that, I still love the S2 Exige. I just had man maths to deal with. :P

I would agree and have said before after the first time I drove one the Cup cars are essentially the S2 Exige continuation. The cup cars are a bit Marmite I mean they do look a bit like a ram raid at Halfords to be fair but the looks are softening a bit over time particularly as some of the supercar stuff gets looking wilder. However man maths taking you to buy a cup over an S2 Exige I don't entirely get as Cups are still depreciating (and not slowly for new cars) and even in what is at the moment a very tough market the best of the S2 Exiges are still going up. I wouldn't expect change from 35 to 40k for the sort of thing I would be looking for probably an RGB or early Cup car. Right now these are way more collectable than the Cup which will always be a very very niche car. They will have their day I'm sure again aided by low production numbers and changing of the aero pack will drive demand for the early ones. They still don't have a 2ZZ though that's something that is finding it's feet in the market. A few years ago nobody really thought about it much but when we do get the S3s in it's surprising how many people ask "has it got the 2ZZ?" There are about 50 2.5's that have the 2ZZ those are worth a premium I would think now over a full S3.  

Gashead1105 your post there although saying the opposite actually perfectly illustrates why the S2 Exige would be the one to buy. 

Edited by jonnyboy

Been there, done it and I'd take the 5-10 yr newer elise personally. The newer engine isn't exactly low reving and it's a hell of a lot more fuel efficient even when tracked.  I don't think comparing a new one against a second hand one is really a fair fight, a brand new one is of course going to depreciate pretty epically as soon as you drive it off the forecourt. Going back to my old S2 Sprint, the first owner paid over £40k for it and it depreciated almost 1k a month while he owned it (I bought it from a dealer who obviously would have had their margin too). However, once some kind and generous soul has taken that initial hit for you, given second hand prices its the newer car every time for me. Cup 250, new gear shift mechanism and 'old' big diffuser if possible - don't know if it is mind! 

• Gold FFM
34 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

I would agree and have said before after the first time I drove one the Cup cars are essentially the S2 Exige continuation. The cup cars are a bit Marmite I mean they do look a bit like a ram raid at Halfords to be fair but the looks are softening a bit over time particularly as some of the supercar stuff gets looking wilder. However man maths taking you to buy a cup over an S2 Exige I don't entirely get as Cups are still depreciating (and not slowly for new cars) and even in what is at the moment a very tough market the best of the S2 Exiges are still going up. I wouldn't expect change from 35 to 40k for the sort of thing I would be looking for probably an RGB or early Cup car. Right now these are way more collectable than the Cup which will always be a very very niche car. They will have their day I'm sure again aided by low production numbers and changing of the aero pack will drive demand for the early ones. They still don't have a 2ZZ though that's something that is finding it's feet in the market. A few years ago nobody really thought about it much but when we do get the S3s in it's surprising how many people ask "has it got the 2ZZ?" There are about 50 2.5's that have the 2ZZ those are worth a premium I would think now over a full S3.  

Gashead1105 your post there although saying the opposite actually perfectly illustrates why the S2 Exige would be the one to buy. 

I agree with you. 

But the problem with appreciating S2s is that you are disinclined to drive them. Whereas my cup is depreciating so fast i might as well drive it as it makes no difference. 

its a mindset thing :lol:

Edited by JG220

3 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

I have the same approach with the Evora couldn't care less what the mileage gets to. There's no premium for 3k over 9 or 10k really until the car is a lot older. 

Couldn't agree more. Can't imagine being on my death bed thinking "I wish I hadn't driven that Evora so much!" 

They were built to be used, I just reward it with a good detail afterwards. 

• Like 2