Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s rolling restoration project - Page 14 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s rolling restoration project

• Gold FFM

Thanks both. I wonder if the flow is weak also because the oil cooler and lines are still filling?

Does anyone know how much oil is needed for a completely dry fill for me to get a feel if the lines and cooler are full yet? I reckon somewhere around 7 litres has gone in it so far.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

10 minutes ago, tomcattom said:

Thanks both. I wonder if the flow is weak also because the oil cooler and lines are still filling?

Does anyone know how much oil is needed for a completely dry fill for me to get a feel if the lines and cooler are full yet? I reckon somewhere around 7 litres has gone in it so far.

The flow is weak because it's not pushing against anything, and remember the engine is only at cranking revs. Try doing what I suggested, and after you've tightened the turbo pipe, crank it again and once you see the oil pressure gauge just start to move, that's it, go for a start.

You have an oilstat, so theoretically the cooler pipes should resist filling until the stat opens but it's possible there could be a bit of leakage.

I measured just over 7 litres total oil capacity including filter and oil cooler lines. You have more than enough oil in the sump ATM.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I'll give what you suggest a try at lunchtime @Chillidoggy and see if I get signs of movement on the pressure gauge.

When I examined the Setrab oil stat before fitting, it looked to have a normally open bypass in the sandwich plate that below operating temperature allows oil to bypass the cooler lines and go straight through the filter in preference to going via the oil coolers first. The route into the oil lines doesn't appear to be blocked by the stat in anyway at any time so I would expect it to be able to fill to some degree. When it reaches operating temperature it looks like the stat closes the bypass between the two sides of the sandwich plate forcing the oil through the coolers before entering the filter.

I'd be wary of empty cooler lines beyond the stat. It could take some vigorous usage for the stat to open then what do we have running back into the system other than air bubbles?

• Gold FFM

I'm hoping there won't be too much air up there now. I pre-filled the lines as best I could when I fitted the oil stat and as I've been trying to build oil pressure over the past two days the oil has required topping up so I'm hoping that is a good sign that at least some oil has made its way into the cooler loop. Regardless I'll be keeping a watchful eye on the the gauges and the oil level itself between runs, when it gets to the stage of having an MOT and being able to actually drive it that is.

I'm watching this thread with interest (and fingers crossed for you it all goes well). I am wondering if there are any opinions regarding the use (and value of using) an oil accumulator?

cheers

-Chris

15 hours ago, cweeden said:

I'm watching this thread with interest (and fingers crossed for you it all goes well). I am wondering if there are any opinions regarding the use (and value of using) an oil accumulator?

cheers

-Chris

If the oiling system is 'wet' then it should build pressure quickly. As Tom has demonstrated, the 910 is a little more involved if the system has been in bits, but the priming method he used is proven to work. IMO an accumulator is a piece of kit that costs money, takes up space, adds weight, and has connections from which oil may leak.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I got it from ebay @sailorbob. It came in a Cardone box but it did work upon arrival, but between me last running it that one and only time (about 12 months ago now) and the last week when I finished the engine work it has developed a fault.

The main symptoms are it running really rough at idle (almost as if its only running on three cylinders), the fans come on after 30-60 second and stay on (no CEL light) and the ALDL connection refuses to work from either connector.

Remember the ECU will have a period of learning, and it will adjust the IAC during the process. Idle sounds good to me. Congrats on the oil temp gauge!

Please don't mention anything about belt tension, you'll set another long-winded cam belt thread off before you know it.........

Margate Exotics.

Looks like a good solution for shielding the chassis tubes but I fear the Velcro may perish from the heat. Perhaps supplement with S/S tie straps?