Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I'm going for a sports racer wrap - do I do the sills in matt black or gloss black? - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

I'm going for a sports racer wrap - do I do the sills in matt black or gloss black?

Yep I havr a large paint chip in the drivers mirror which would show up through the wrap.

So I’m gonna get that repaired properly and painted, so no point in wrapping it.  I’m hoping it won’t cost too much as it’s just a couple of mirrors. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

Yep I havr a large paint chip in the drivers mirror which would show up through the wrap.

So I’m gonna get that repaired properly and painted, so no point in wrapping it.  I’m hoping it won’t cost too much as it’s just a couple of mirrors. 

I had a couple of small roof chips and the vinyl managed to cover it and you can’t see now.. the little collection of chip marks around the wheel arch were covered by that Matt black ppf stuff the guys applied so maybe not perfect but not bad 

I guess the correct way is to repair the chips then apply the vinyl ! But I was too eager !!!  

I've gotta get mine wrapped too - I was going to go gloss black on the roof, as it matches the engine cover - however the car already has mirrors, a-pillar and bargeboards in carbon effect, so it'll match those.....hmm. Alternatively I'll have to wrap the engine cover too!

Hi Matty

are you going to same place Jai and me went to ? 

Its only as the carbon vinyl was a decent type and some comments in this thread suggested to be weary of using some car wrappers ? 

I guess you need to see the vinyl yourself and meet the guys to check their quality of work ? 

Theres a picture of carbon vinyl on this thread it looks different in the flesh there’s a brown tint in the sunlight which is close match to real carbon fibre in my opinion ?

SignsUK are about an hour away from me....happy to travel if they can do it while I wait, but otherwise the transport makes it tricky. Otherwise, I was going to use a company in Dudley called RSV Graphics, who are about 25mins away.

How long did yours take, out of interest?

Mine took about 2.5hours I think they quote 4 hours just to be on the safe side. 

They have a reception area with sofas, tables and WiFi. So you can do work or just chill out and watch them working away on your car.  

The carbon wrap really is very good, the weave has depth/ 3D nature to it so looks very realistic. I really don’t keep up to date with wrapping technology so it’s possible the normal standard is very good these days but the guys did say they believe they have one of the best products available. 

Yes Jai comments spot on 

I know diddly squat on what is good or bad quality vinyl ? I knew that 3m brand was good I watched that Yanni tv show but they didn’t talk about which product they used I guess for commercial reasons ? 

I just went on good faith that if Silverstone used them they must be good ? 

The carbon finish looks good to me but if you were knowledgable it might be open to critical analysis ? To me it looks good so happy bunny 😄

by the way Morrison’s across the road so can do a little shop or use cafe ?

3 hours ago, electro_boy said:

Mine took about 2.5hours I think they quote 4 hours just to be on the safe side. 

They have a reception area with sofas, tables and WiFi. So you can do work or just chill out and watch them working away on your car.  

The carbon wrap really is very good, the weave has depth/ 3D nature to it so looks very realistic. I really don’t keep up to date with wrapping technology so it’s possible the normal standard is very good these days but the guys did say they believe they have one of the best products available. 

Sounds good, I might get mine booked in.

It's the carbon against the engine black cover that'll bother me....with gloss black it'll look seamless, but the carbon will stop against it. I wonder if the could wrap that bit too? Did either of you go down that route?

4 hours ago, MattyB said:

Sounds good, I might get mine booked in.

It's the carbon against the engine black cover that'll bother me....with gloss black it'll look seamless, but the carbon will stop against it. I wonder if the could wrap that bit too? Did either of you go down that route?

Hi Matty

not sure what you refer to ? I didn’t wrap anything at back although did consider doing the spoiler but my ideal money no object  would be replacement with 400 wing but not the high one ? 

I will respect  the engine cover and maybe paint lotus letters but I have got a very low light unit which can operate at high temp to give engine a very small glow ? 

Have a look at the roof here, which is wrapped in carbon, but the cover stays gloss black:

http://www.provinyl.com.au/uploads/5/3/4/3/5343057/350077_orig.jpg

Benefit of a gloss black roof is it matches, carbon roof doesn't....unless I also wrap the engine cover too? Might be a bit too much though...

Ok I can see what you mean the vinyl is a high gloss effect mine is not as glossy but due to the weave it’s got that brown hint which I didn’t realise but liked in the end

i thought in the sunlight the carbon I got looked kinda of distinctive 

the sills and splitter I left a Matt black as you can see them so low down in the light ? That provinyl is it available in Uk ? 

• 1 month later...

I have a place near me in Southampton - Monster wraps, contacting them for price....I really think a carbon wrap would look great!

Does anyone have any experience of these guys?  They are in Hedge End, Southampton

Dean

go and check the monster wraps place out and have an inspection of the vinyl they use as the better quality prouduct used a better final look !

the carbon vinyl I used appears in this thread on earlier page , I ashamedly went for 400 type of look ? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi all, I done something similar to mine, black gloss on roof and sills, gloss black wheels and I replaced the mirror covers for gloss black also, thinking of changing the wheel caps and nose badge for black as well .....

B1A4B5CE-0542-49E6-9D87-88ECABC355B0.jpeg

5EAA225E-4048-4AA6-BB2D-A470B8E1CB37.jpeg

7762039F-9B62-4865-A0FF-37F2D9188CDA.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So I’ve had the wrap done! Very very pleased with it.

I’ve also done the front access panel but I’m not yet sure about it

(hoping you can zoom in on images to see the effect)

A4F72319-8B5A-4F12-840C-D276AA4012BA.jpeg

8D2CF02D-64EA-44C0-8DE2-9D2631CA82A0.jpeg

45194401-5B87-4208-A739-356CF7A03AE3.jpeg

• Gold FFM

I've just gone through this thread (editing and reading and looking).

I wonder why no one that makes these wraps has done a carbon one that has a join seam down the middle? Unless it actually is on a photo and I have not been able to see it.

I don't think it would be that hard?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Dean

nice look the black and silver 

who did the wrap ? I guess anyone down your way could use consider using the same guys ?

ramjet question on the join seam I am not sure , I managed to get the 400 look by my wrap guys applying a red section thinly cut 

4 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

nice look the black and silver

Thanks, it’s a carbon one very much like yours I think. Monster Wraps in Hedge End did it for me 😃

26 minutes ago, Techyd said:

Thanks, it’s a carbon one very much like yours I think. Monster Wraps in Hedge End did it for me 😃

Yes just zoomed in and it’s similar think mine as more of brown hint yours looks more silver / white but hard to tell on a photo ?