Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Any tips for soft top roof fitting - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Any tips for soft top roof fitting

• Gold FFM

I've not fitted a fabric roof, but I do work everyday with carpets plastics leather and adhesives, the best advise I can offer is avoid doing this in cold or damp conditions, all textiles are far easier to work with when warm, and a nice tight roof on a cold day will expand to become loose when hot, adhesives used in less than ambient temperatures will take a long time to go off. I believe the temperatures are set to drop this week, it may be worth waiting for a nice day.

• Love 1

• Gold FFM

As @Steve V8 says above - do it on a warm sunny day. It’s the only way to get a good result. I’ve done a fair few triumphs - I’d never do one in the cold after the first one !!

• Like 1

Only here once

5 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

I've not fitted a fabric roof, but I do work everyday with carpets plastics leather and adhesives, the best advise I can offer is avoid doing this in cold or damp conditions, all textiles are far easier to work with when warm, and a nice tight roof on a cold day will expand to become loose when hot, adhesives used in less than ambient temperatures will take a long time to go off. I believe the temperatures are set to drop this week, it may be worth waiting for a nice day.

Cheers good advice (does the same apply to vages?) Down south forecast to be 14 degrees and I will be in the garage so will bung the heater on which should make it 19+ so should be fine.

On 18/03/2019 at 18:13, rafphillips said:

👍🏻 Top man it’s the getting the rear holes right that’s the bit that’s worrying me.

Worried about the bar sitting too high or too low.

Will report back on sat how I get on. Thanks 

Courtesy of Aimee .  Used these measurements to do 2 Of my cars no problem 

spacer.png

Edited by DJW
  • Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Just started masking up and measuring ready to cut tmrw we’ve but the Aimee measurements below contradict the ones here http://www.billswebspace.com/exigesofttopretrofit.htm

The Aimee pic shows 1.1/1.2cm to the top of the recess for the bow.

However the one on billswebpsace pic shows 1.2cm to the top of the plastic.

Which one is right? As I guess 5mm can make the difference between it being too high and too low

CF6A518E-C164-45B9-81DB-1A9AF640013B.png

Edited by rafphillips

Although it’s harder to see on the 2nd picture (because the car colour is black), has the design changed slightly between the 2 cars? One looks like yellow GRP with a black, rubber lip. The other one looks like it is all GRP. This could account for the difference in the measurements - they are measured from a different spot. 

No the plastic surrounds are the exactly same (outer) size one sits on the other.

Here they are ...

https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/14/1389/s2-exige-soft-top-conversion-kit/

I see what you mean about taken from different points but the measures both start at top of frame so there is a common reference point.

I did this work on my Exige when it was just a few weeks old... Scary

Just find someone with an Elise and measure this, but it is not critical within a mm or two

Measure 6 times, cut once

The most important point imo is to cover the whole of the interior before starting to cut the fibreglass.

Edited by sjw

Yeah I don't

On 20/03/2019 at 20:58, rafphillips said:

Just started masking up and measuring ready to cut tmrw we’ve but the Aimee measurements below contradict the ones here http://www.billswebspace.com/exigesofttopretrofit.htm

The Aimee pic shows 1.1/1.2cm to the top of the recess for the bow.

However the one on billswebpsace pic shows 1.2cm to the top of the plastic.

Which one is right? As I guess 5mm can make the difference between it being too high and too low

CF6A518E-C164-45B9-81DB-1A9AF640013B.png

This is what I followed, I tried to make it 1.2cm but not sure if final result is 1.2 cuz I didn't measure afterwards. A bit higher or lower though won't make much of a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for all the advice was a 30 min job in the end.

I followed the Amiee pick in the end after a look at another Elise plus a call to the factory (the 1.2cm to start of top of grommet is strictly speaking wrong!).

The factory also said fit passer side latch first when fitting soft top then work over to driver side.

When I initially tested fitted I did driver side first and stratced the paint slight (cable connector) but is hidden once roof fitted and touched up.

That way around I can un clip and refit roof in 2 mind flat it’s easy once you have got it in right order clips in easy.

Also did the pressure wash test and not a single drop inside anywhere so impressed that is so water tight 👍🏻

9EA691A4-AB00-4C56-A10F-81797E7D987C.jpeg

FFAC0D7F-0E8E-48EF-AEE5-0700598971DF.jpeg

5828F439-B344-4FBF-8044-287670F2DFF4.jpeg

C34DBC36-2F15-49DD-8E4B-001D662C41D3.jpeg

5B4FD279-33D7-4A58-A2D9-9909F401B2DA.jpeg

5D5A2A3C-8868-4007-B3F0-2741DAB79DAD.jpeg

Edited by rafphillips
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

Unt I vas vaiting for all ze schwearing unt banging to start. :P 

• Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)