Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
501 returns to Norfolk for fun and frustration??!! - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

501 returns to Norfolk for fun and frustration??!!

I was very surprised at how many suitcases go in the boot of my Excel - 5 cabin cases plus room for more squashy bags.

• Like 1

Very nice. Post regular updates of progress since it's always good to see an elite being improved and cared for. Welcome to the forums. I had two scimitars and they were great cars but they ruined the brand with the robin!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Clive59 said:

clearly the rear wiper doesn't work...it's missing!  😁

No need for a wiper with a boot that full - never mind the visibility, the mechanism would get tangled in the tagliatelli.😀

Great to see car in practical use

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

This resto is more of a conservation job it would seem having thought I may replace the vacuum pods with electric motors.

So having fixed many minor  issues, tackled the headlight problem.(MJK was not impressed when he saw it at the Bird in hand lol)

The near light stayed down for 4.5 mins and the offside one for 7 mins and both fully up in ten mins. Not good, only just enough time to get out of the petrol station "looking cool"

Having stripped out the whole system the problem was inevitably the 2 vacuum pods in the front below the light. Managed to break both bolts off in the removal but replaced with new ones and filled the large holes with fibreglass strands and mesh along with lots of resin. Then painted black with waterproof paint.

Hey presto.....nearside stays down for 12 hours and offside for 22 hours and fully up in 26 hours. So it is now factory spec again plus a bit extra.......well pleased.

Managed to break the actuator which is now araldited back together (working though) so if anyone has a spare one Iam definitely interested.

Nice solution. I've done the same, but along way from being able to test currently.

Not sure what you mean by "Actuator". I'd describe these pods as actuators, so clearly you don't mean that.  Can you give another clue to what you're looking for..

Tony

1 hour ago, Tony D said:

Nice solution. I've done the same, but along way from being able to test currently.

Not sure what you mean by "Actuator". I'd describe these pods as actuators, so clearly you don't mean that.  Can you give another clue to what you're looking for..

Tony

1 hour ago, Tony D said:

Tony

1 hour ago, Tony D said:

Tony

My mistake........ Should've been electrically operated headlight vacuum solenoid.

Yes the top picture is what i've broken and the second one is what got the fibre glass treatment. Mine are more brass coloured and have an ali bar at the end to stop the needle pinging out but basically its the same part. 

10 minutes ago, Angus553 said:

Yes the top picture is what i've broken and the second one is what got the fibre glass treatment. Mine are more brass coloured and have an ali bar at the end to stop the needle pinging out but basically its the same part. 

Yours if you need one. 

• Like 1

Tony 

• 1 year later...
On 04/05/2020 at 12:55, Tony D said:

Tony

Apologies seems like I didnt reply to this..... Well it was the solenoid valve that got broken and fixed but alas more messing about has meant the vacuum cylinder no longer is air tight having previously been fibreglassed over and was working really well. The rubber inside now doesnt hold any air so unfortunately along with the unsynched headlights now needs to be replaced with MX5 motors. 

Edited by Angus553
info

Apart from not fixing the headlights have done plenty of other jobs recently. 

New spark plugs again....BP6ES, otter switch seal and red hemetite to cure small leak,  gearbox reversing switch and replaced oil,replaced differential oil, repaired o/s mirror, made new headlining front and rear but not fitted yet, all interior lights working, adjusted both doors and rear hatch to fit much better than previously, have fixed the rear wiper motor by replacing the the broken brushes and springs and rewired it all with basically components from an old shower unit, but the worm drive and tube are bound solid and wont budge and the 8 pin wiper switch is not working at all, handbrake cable unceased and working well, got the heater working by replacing the relays and unjamming the motor.......I know their is more but cant remember atm.                                                       

• Like 2

Thanks guys!  The later Excel doesn't push/pull the headlight pods from the middle of the cross-bar so locating the motor off to the side a bit should not cause any probs.  I'm using the bits from an old pair of Excel pods as well, with a bit of extra reinforcing.

Pete

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi All, especially Doris the dog and Black eclat for the bespoke bracket and the tech info and photos. Have just fitted my MX5 headlight motors and after several fittings they both work in sync sitting correctly when raised and lowered. Having no welder had to adapt the motor arm and bracket accordingly. 

The motor arm was elongated by 1.9mm using 22mm copper pipe flattened in a vice,and the M6 Rod was eventually working correctly at 20.5mm between the centre of each joint. Parts used were 6mm rod 6mm ball joint m6-m10 adaptor  and a m10 rose joint. Wiring was completed using 2 30amp fuses and 2 relays plus many hours of refitting and adjusting until it all worked correctly. Total cost around £100.20211213_131358.thumb.jpg.d9066ca4677452d91c47ab5ad03432b5.jpg20211213_131227.thumb.jpg.8bed07650d59ef8c892e11d6410af32c.jpg

• Like 1

Yes it all works as per the original set up on the dash switch and the column main beam. Ran 2 permanent lives off the starter junction under the air filter box, with 2 30amp fuses running to each headlight recess. Connected the live and the original wiring to a relay switch as per one of the black eclat wiring diagrams. (3 possible options to choose from on here.)  The bracket did have to be adjusted by bending the down buffer back around 1 cm, but fitted well to floor and back of the recess. Have got the relays and fuses to get your lights wired up and can help with that. The Mx5 motors work really fast compared to old vacuum system. 

Edited by Angus553
Extra info
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

20220514_134836.thumb.jpg.8bb643ca2c5ea49ba6c7c622f0c6429f.jpgJust a quick update.

The headlining is in front and back and the 4 side panels.  The beige material which matched the original quite closely was glued to 2 pieces of 2mm proplex sheet. Using the original screws but not the original circular fittings as missing/rusty. The use of tile edge trim and 40mm mini trunking and some new clips seems to have worked nicely(for now anyway). Hopefully sorted the exhaust with a new manifold gasket and nuts to suit.  A new servo check valve has cured the intermittent ticking and when the old one was removed it had an intermiitent rattle. 

20220514_134609.jpg