Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Power loss/cut - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Power loss/cut

BAS

Hi, 

I'm currently on track and had to go back in the pits after one hot lap.

Wondering if anyone experienced the following:-

At any gear past 4k rpm approx, I'm getting the 3 shift lights come up and I can't get past 4k rpm, it feels like a limiter.

This happened after one hot lap. The only thing changed from last open track was that I removed the shim with the abs sensor and zip tied it. I also have the exhaust valve unplugged but I can't see how it can be related as it's been fine for the past 3+ track days with it unplugged.

Any ideas? No check engine codes. Drives perfectly well under 4k rpm. 430 cup exige 

Thanks.

Bader

Edited by BAS
Spell

I did a couple of laps before my hot lap. Weird.

Even though I didn't get a check engine light, we plugged in the code reader and got this :

P123C

i reset the code. Will see if it it goes into limp mode again

@BAS, it is minor errors, I had the same once when leaving the dealership after the service. No clear reason why it appeared, was cleared by the dealer (I only got a few miles away) and there was no effects afterwards. As far as I understand there is no such thing as cold start protection - I can rev mine all the way to the limit right after start

2 hours ago, Kristof Thys said:

Are you sure it read P123C??  It's not a Ford is it? (b/c only used on Ford and indeed cold start protection)

@Kristof Thys I googled the code and thought it was weird that "ford" kept popping up.

Just am update, after I reset the code the problem didn't come back and the car was perfect.

@Bibs sorry didn't check at the time.

All is well now 

6 hours ago, vd9 said:

@BAS, it is minor errors, I had the same once when leaving the dealership after the service. No clear reason why it appeared, was cleared by the dealer (I only got a few miles away) and there was no effects afterwards. As far as I understand there is no such thing as cold start protection - I can rev mine all the way to the limit right after start

Remind me to never buy a car from you 😂

12 hours ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

Remind me to never buy a car from you 😂

You don't need to worry, I am not fast about selling cars. Prefer to drive them, rather than polish/store/PPF in hope of somebody paying me more later on. :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, BAS said:

Hi, 

I'm currently on track and had to go back in the pits after one hot lap.

Wondering if anyone experienced the following:-

At any gear past 4k rpm approx, I'm getting the 3 shift lights come up and I can't get past 4k rpm, it feels like a limiter.

This happened after one hot lap. The only thing changed from last open track was that I removed the shim with the abs sensor and zip tied it. I also have the exhaust valve unplugged but I can't see how it can be related as it's been fine for the past 3+ track days with it unplugged.

Any ideas? No check engine codes. Drives perfectly well under 4k rpm. 430 cup exige 

Thanks.

Bader

I had the same in Germany last year (air temp was 35+ Celsius). Dealer in Frankfurt plugged in and diagnosed that it was protection from over heating. You may want to get a software update from dealer. A lot of 430s had this.

5 hours ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

But some mechanical symphony is a good thing! 

I totally agree - it's serviced rather well in every possible aspect.

In no way was my comment an encouragement to rev high not warmed up engine (in fact it is better to wait a bit longer since oil warms up slower than the coolant), I only meant to make this t clear that there isn't any cold start protection in this car (obviously, apart from dedicated ignition and fuel maps, as with pretty much any other car).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So a little update on this:

Went on track last night and had the same 3 shift lights come on at 4k rpm. Stopped car started again and noticed the spanner come up on the dash and disappeared within 30 seconds. Everytime I stopped and start the car, the spanner would stay on for 30 seconds.

Went out again and even though the shift lights were not coming up anymore, the power delivery wasn't as smooth felt like I had at least 100bhp less.

Didn't have a code reader on me at the time so I left early.

Went to the dealer this morning to check the spanner light issue and of course it didn't come up. Thankfully when he checked the code something did come up (attached image).

I'm not sure if both are to the same issue or if I have 2 issues (seems like 2 from the codes). He says it's all related to the coolant reservoir leak.

Apparently the coolant leak is causing the car to go into some limp/safety mode thus the feeling of 100bhp less.

Waiting on lotus UK to see when they will send the new reservoir+cap and additional input. Funny thing is I've already had mined changed under warranty within my first 700kms. I don't think it was the new improved unit though.

Anyone with a 410/430 check with your local for the recall (someone mentioned this in another thread recently)

IMG-20191127-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20191127-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20191127-WA0069.jpg

IMG-20191127-WA0070.jpg

This coolant leak is a common issue in the UK! Had a friend have similar issue at Silverstone last week. Basically the coolant plastic tank and specifically the thread and cap are rubbish quality and don’t seal correctly. Make sure Lotus send a couple of them as Lotus Silverstone had to go through three ‘new’ tanks for my friend until they found one that actually sealed!!!!

www.alias23.com

3 hours ago, BAS said:

So a little update on this:

Went on track last night and had the same 3 shift lights come on at 4k rpm. Stopped car started again and noticed the spanner come up on the dash and disappeared within 30 seconds. Everytime I stopped and start the car, the spanner would stay on for 30 seconds.

Went out again and even though the shift lights were not coming up anymore, the power delivery wasn't as smooth felt like I had at least 100bhp less.

Didn't have a code reader on me at the time so I left early.

Went to the dealer this morning to check the spanner light issue and of course it didn't come up. Thankfully when he checked the code something did come up (attached image).

I'm not sure if both are to the same issue or if I have 2 issues (seems like 2 from the codes). He says it's all related to the coolant reservoir leak.imageproxy.php?img=&key=c88edc5a6516ec65imageproxy.php?img=&key=c88edc5a6516ec65

Apparently the coolant leak is causing the car to go into some limp/safety mode thus the feeling of 100bhp less.

Waiting on lotus UK to see when they will send the new reservoir+cap and additional input. Funny thing is I've already had mined changed under warranty within my first 700kms. I don't think it was the new improved unit though.

Anyone with a 410/430 check with your local for the recall (someone mentioned this in another thread recently)

IMG-20191127-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20191127-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20191127-WA0069.jpg

IMG-20191127-WA0070.jpg

I had the same incident on my 430 Cup. 
So I re-placed the container with some Evora tubes, just as it is placed in the Evora.

0.jpg

Edited by Nightfire

7 hours ago, alias23 said:

coolant plastic tank and specifically the thread and cap are rubbish quality and don’t seal correctly

I must say this is truly unbelievable. All in a "special" 6-figure car. OMG, I'm very glad I decided to just go for a plain and simple Sport 350 and not "full bells and whistles" some 2.5 years ago. Good luck (genuinely) with solving this, @BAS!

Edited by vd9

@alias23 you can really tell the quality is rubbish! As you mentioned, the cap is indeed coming from the seal/cap.

@Nightfire was that done at the dealer? I'm thinking of asking them to do the same once my the part arrives.

@vd9 thanks! I'm more bothered about possibly missing an upcoming track day than anything else.