Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash - Page 28 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash

Looks like AIM won’t support the dash fitted to FE cars.

“If it is, then i am afraid you cannot connect a rear view camera or a GPS module. I am unsure of the Wifi question, i would recommend contacting Lotus directly as it is technically a Lotus dash in your car and not an AiM.”

“Okay, as i said unfortunately the dashes supplied direct from Lotus are inherently different to the AiM MX2E dash that we can supply. A lot of the features are locked as per Lotus specification. I cannot help with the WiFi password, you'll have to contact Lotus directly to get some more information on this.”

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

That doesn't look promising. I wonder if Lotus will have any interest in updating FE dash in future. At least rear camera would be nice to have. Or option to flash it to AiM.. which looks awful (UI wise), but has loads of nice features.

Edited by Inversed

This is quite puzzling if true. I find it very hard to believe that Lotus would offer dash support for a tiny number of FE cars sold so why they bothered fitting one in the fist place? Maybe that's why they locked it down to only have basic features in - if it breaks they simply replace. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I spoke to AIM Support.

it’s called MXLotus, not mx2e.

they won’t share the Wi-Fi password as it’s “fully supported by lotus not AIM”.

trying to find someone to help in Lotus? Difficult.

just seems lotus hamstrung the device due to type approval and now trying to get back some of the great aim functionality will be difficult.

• Sad 1

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

having now spoken to someone in ASO, it seems they have the code but not willing to share?

“Yes I believe the ports are there butt eh functionality isn’t.

Apologies I am not in a position to supply an access code”

so, aim can’t help as they’ve clearly a contract that says it must go via Lotus and Lotus won’t help as it’s now an abandoned platform.

From everything I’ve had from AiM it certainly seems it could/would but Lotus have chosen to hamstring it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/05/2021 at 20:32, Paul_D said:

All sorted. Even though I’d only recently downloaded it, somehow I didn’t have the latest version of Race Studio. Updating that and retransmitting to the AIM has fixed everything. 

(although strangely I now get a message on Race Studio when the upload has finished saying that the transmission has generated errors)

What version of Racestudio are you using? I upgraded software to 3.38.03 and then updated dash firmware from 02.34.36 to 02.34.66.

Flashing my old dash config, which is just two ECU fields displayed and smartycam channels, got the error connection where sport/race mode shows. I get both of those icons pressing the DPM buttons but no cominbation of transmitting dash config works without error.

Release notes mention something along these lines but clearly it is either still an issue or bug reintroduced: 

3.38.00 - Sep, 15th 2021
Fix to configuration transmission to MX2E.

Now trying to workout which combination of software/dash firmware will get me back to my old config....super annoying.

Edit:

Race Studio 3 Ver. 3.36.04 got me to dash 02.34.66 and accepted my config.

Edited by miniwog

That's a real shame they won't release the WiFi password. The FE dash is basic at best, with the bar rev counter being pretty tricky to see if you're tall. I'm not sure what lotus gains by preventing people from getting the full functionality given the premium paid for FE cars. 

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

I quickly went through all this discussion but I am a little bit confused. A couple of question:

1) is the 9000 rpm issue solved? I saw this photo on Komotech Instagram where the display shows 8000 at max (look at 2nd photo, the first one is engine).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVm2YXqInoE/?utm_medium=copy_link

2) is there a difference ordering the AIM from a Lotus dealer, from Komotec or from SeriouslyLotus? In terms of functionalities, and binnacle in particular.

My Swiss Lotus dealer told me that Lotus is not shipping those anymore for this year because of the supply chain issue, so there are massive delays with parts. 

Many thanks!

Edited by CRM82

That dash in the Komotec photo is not an MX2E, so the display is different. Unfortunately they never fixed the 9000rpm issue, which I still personally think is a major flaw. 

As far as I’m aware the kit is identical no matter where you buy it. I think the early kits bought directly from AIM had a lower quality binnacle, but then later they were all the same. (I’m only 99% sure on this though)

Very sad to hear that.. it actually should be very simple to offer a setting that scale it between 7000 - 9000. Not sure after such a big investment why they do not decide to make a quick simple software update...

I agree. Compared to all the other stuff that is customisable, having 2 or 3 rev ranges should have been quite easy. 

In that display, the main part of the layout is the rev counter. But because of the non linear scale around 1/3 of it simply isn’t used. And the 0 - 5000 rpm part used in daily driving is virtually unusable. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/10/2021 at 05:13, miniwog said:

What version of Racestudio are you using? I upgraded software to 3.38.03 and then updated dash firmware from 02.34.36 to 02.34.66.

Flashing my old dash config, which is just two ECU fields displayed and smartycam channels, got the error connection where sport/race mode shows. I get both of those icons pressing the DPM buttons but no cominbation of transmitting dash config works without error.

Release notes mention something along these lines but clearly it is either still an issue or bug reintroduced: 

3.38.00 - Sep, 15th 2021
Fix to configuration transmission to MX2E.

Now trying to workout which combination of software/dash firmware will get me back to my old config....super annoying.

Edit:

Race Studio 3 Ver. 3.36.04 got me to dash 02.34.66 and accepted my config.

I’m not only facing this issue but the air intake sensor from ECU doesn’t show up, - - instead of actual temp, I have a 380 sport. 

also there’s no way I can update my configure without having error you describe, I didn’t try to download the old RS3 version you describe tho… 

0228B501-64DC-471F-BF6A-3781C8D8A490.jpeg

If you have the ODB2 module switched off it won’t read. It’s also interesting to know that if this ODB module is on the the Lotus Dealer Software won’t work. So when you get a service turn it off.

cheers

• Love 1

Thanks a lot! I figured it out, what about gear box temp, is that something you guys have values for?

also I had to use the old software not the latest, with the latest, no way I can send config without errors :( 

also, the software is so buggy! Unbelievable, the wifi is not stable, the software crash… no comment :( 

Edited by Xrkc6x

Nah, gearbox temp does not work…

I don’t want to say too much but I don’t really feel the product has been “supported” in the way it should. I got taken in by all the hype pre launch, but on reflection The original dash is best. At least you can see the shift lights and indicators if you are tall and the lights warnings buzzer works as it should. buggy, an interesting phrase you use… good luck 

• Like 1

So I've managed to connect to the WiFi on my Final Edition Dash... loaded RaceStudio3 and it can talk to the Dash... but settings are very thin on the ground...

I'm not entirely sure what I should be seeing...

C0CD9ACB-877F-4DF5-9789-BFF15DE0AE2B.jpg

I got something called a GARW dash on my VX220 (works on Elise too). Developed by a guy in Wales and sold for £700. The support has been amazing, fully configurable, etc. I chnaged fuel pumps to a higher spec one  -support to amend the Ohm resistance rates so it reported fuel level properly, including catering for a revised 60ltr tank. You can easily add additional sensors and change sensor settings from the screen. One man, over half the price of the Lotus!

Sure puts this effort from Lotus to shame. Talk about half hearted I really feel for you guys. Screen below and one of the config check screens...

image.jpeg.736a124b3ef356cfc2cbc61fc3594fa8.jpeg Free worldwide shipping - Garw IC7

• Haha 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I have the same dash in my S260 and it is nice. I'm surprised that you say that you received good tech support because most of us have a really difficult time getting tech support.

Later,
Eldon

Surprised to hear that Eldon. Can only go on my own experience which was good. Support was via the support emailid and ususally responded within 48 hours, often the next day.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

So it is possible to connect Race Studio 3 directly to a Final Edition display via WiFi. It appears to give full options, I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger and update and risk bricking the system. But I guess if all else fails it should be possible to revert to stock Mx2e from Aim, or maybe even lotus will reset it. Anyone feeling brave?