Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash - Page 37 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

a quick question to everybody regarding the Aim MX2 dash. Has anybody experienced non booting issues lately? Fitted mine about 6 months ago, other than a few niggles fitting it to a 54 plate 111r (thanks for the help, and time Dave SL), it has worked OK. But these last couple of weeks I have had to leave it on the drive out in the cold, and it now occasionally fails to show the boot/splash screen. The car starts and runs, but no display on the dash. on another day it is fine, 6 out of 6 starts no problem, but the next day back to no display.

could it be a temperature thing?

any thoughts most welcome.

Hi Wantalotus,

I bought my Aim in the summer of 2021 and it was fine, however when the weather got colder towards September the screen wouldn't boot until the car warmed up a little.  Apparently, there's a threshold of 10 degrees however I find that a little odd.  My car doesn't get used much and spends most of its time SORN'd so it isn't a problem for me, but when I took the car for its first MOT in late April the garage (Williams) thought the dash was actually broken which could have been an issue and could have failed its MOT!!  I just leave it tick over for a few minutes to start heating up, but if I was using the car daily there's no way I'd put up with it!!!

Cheers,

Mark

@hallmark7 @Wantalotus

I might be wrong, but I thought there was a firmware update which changed this?

Are you both running the latest firmware?

Edit: Looking back on page 21 of this thread, a post by Peeltone said:

"Quick update - appears that the firmware checks temperature before booting and if too low doesn’t boot. I have received a new firmware version which fixes the issue. 

Great help from Dave to get the new firmware v02.34.37 which has sorted the problem. "

• Like 1

Thanks @Paul_D - I did check a while ago and I was on the latest version at that time (I think there was a version in beta from memory) so I'll check again.  Thanks for the reminder and well done to you for being so thorough in finding that on page 21 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, I had trawled through the thread, but missed it totally, so thanks again Paul_D. I did not realize my unit was so far out of date, I've only had it 6 months. Anyway the firmware went in all OK, just need some cold weather to confirm.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Any one fitted an Aim MX2E to a 2005 S2 Elise?

I tried, but it didn't work, no revs or fuel gauge.

Plus the supplied binnacle doesn't fit my dash.
I recently found out that it's for the revised dashboard.
So I've got some modifying to do.

Plus my car has a supercharger and SSC ECU. 

It works with the original cluster.

Binnacle original dash.jpg

Binnacle no fit 3.jpg

binnacle no fit 2.jpg

binnacle no fit1.jpg

Update

Re-connected the MX2E back up, it works. The only difference is that it was fully power cycled.

Got it talking to my wifi, updated to latest firmware, tracks, odometer set. Now I have to decide how I'm to address the binnacle issue. I know some people have hacked up their early S2 binnacle and the end result leaves something to be desired. I've heard of some using a 3D printer, then covering it in alcantara. I've even thought about procuring a late S2/S3 dashboard, but that's going to be very pricy. I'd like the change to be either discreet or entirely reversible.

Any one know if the STL is available or if someone is selling them?

p.s. also got very good support from Aim

Edited by fs1000
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

A quick question, since I've started to talk myself back into switching to the MX2E from the stock instruments in my Sport 350. How are people finding the soft touch paintwork on the (later?) dashes? Has it gone at all tacky over time? I know some formulations of soft touch paint can do this, but I'm hoping we're past that issue on these binnacles.

Cheers

Had mine carbon skinned and switches blanked off and relocated them to the lower column. Looks much better than standard….

cheers

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is there anything i should be doing to get the GPS signal to work?  All connecting yesterday when not near a track, but turned up at track today and the GPS doesnt appear to connect?

First time use.  I assume i turn it on to track mode and it should just work?  Or is there more I’m missing?

Thank you for the reply.  It appears it wasn’t working the previous day - only the stopwatch running.

my MX2E is a new install and comes with a GPS09 module rather than the previous GPS08 version.  AIM think it needs a firmware update to make it connect and are working on a solution.

hopefully sorted in the coming days

Nice to see Aim are on it. I think it is quite clear that the "lotus" OEM version was nothing they were fully happy with and I can understand how their hands were tied re support etc. Another greatly executed Lotus strategy.....

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On 05/08/2023 at 10:18, Garrarni said:

Is there anything i should be doing to get the GPS signal to work?  All connecting yesterday when not near a track, but turned up at track today and the GPS doesnt appear to connect?

First time use.  I assume i turn it on to track mode and it should just work?  Or is there more I’m missing?

Do you have track maps loaded in the software? you can upload any of the almost 5000 available ones. I normally only have the tracks i visit loaded to the dash

Looks like all the tracks are in there.  It is the gps module that appears to not be connecting to satellites.   No Co-ordinates when I check the data on the dash or in the software when a pc is connected.

guess I’ll have to wait for aim to come up with a solution

Have you actually updated the firmware to the latest revision?

I’m 99% sure I remember seeing something in one of the firmware update release notes about the later gps modules. 

Thanks for the reply Paul.

yes, I am on firmware 02.40.26.

aim sent an as yet unreleased version 02.40.52, but no joy with that either. So it is back to their developers.

looking through the release notes, it looks like 02.34.75 deals with the new gps for the first time, so I have asked aim to send me it to see if it works.  Waiting to see if they can.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to follow your guide, but Display isn't shown as a tab on Race Studio 3. Do you know how to activate this in the current version of RS3?

On 04/05/2022 at 19:54, lotuslee281275 said:

Go on race studio 3

Click on gear wheel

Tick box neside MX2E

Double click on MX2E

Click on display 

Channel groups click on add channels 

Click on channels 

Highlight any box on screen 

Click on left indicator

Repeat for right indicator

Save

Save as 

Ensure connected to sash wifi

Transmit 

You have to do this for eash screen colour either in road and race.

Hope this helps fairly easy once youve done the first one

20220504_195350.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, since my Race Technology DL1 logger in the Caterham has become senile, I'm looking to switch over to AIM plus I'll probably also finally buy the MX2E so I can use RS3 for both cars. However I'm not going to pull the trigger until I've had a good play around with RS3 to make sure all the mad stuff I like to do in RT Analysis I can mostly still do in that. I binned the idea of switching to Racelogic when I had a play with Circuit Tools and realised it was shockingly basic.

AIM make the Race Studio 3 software available which is great, but don't have any sample data to use with it, so I was wondering if anyone has any data files they would be happy for me to load up and try it out with. Synced video from a SmartyCam would be a bonus, but not at all necessary.

Cheers