Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 36 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
14 hours ago, Doris the dog said:

Sorry got distracted by a chap on Bangers and Cash who has five fantastic cars actually in his house. 

The cover is not for the Lotus , but my 104 bhp 1293cc mini. Just back from colour change.  
No way can I leave it outside. 

3318906E-3E53-4723-B090-29EB86432DAB.jpeg

Brings back memories of my first car, red with a white roof  & an 1098cc engine with a down draught Weber carb :driving:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

• 7 months later...

Hi Angus , probably have to go over a load of jobs that I’ve completed.  Fuel system , brakes etc.  

Then I will have to look under the bonnet 🥴. Perhaps I need to source new carbs or find a reliable company that can overhaul mine.  Which then would stop me fiddling 😂

• Like 1

Tony 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Sounds like it was the rings.  Worth getting a bore-scope in there to check the condition of the liners before starting.

Pete

Basically Pete self inflicted, as year plus ago I removed carbs and was only going to be a short time. That was after the engine filled with petrol. I drain and washed it out and replaced oil. But fell out with car and was left after turning over a few times.  So last month after seeing an elite on internet I decided to get enthusiastic again. Tracked down place to refurbish carbs, charged battery, and suspected it to be seized put socket on bottom pulley.  It did move slightly , but started tightening crank pulley nut.  Then spraying bores etc started daily for a week. Got gout in both feet plus fear to try to turn it in case it was seized seized , left it again. My son came over yesterday , and gave him the job , well it moved.  
As carbs will be away for a month or so I will carryon moving it by spanner.  
Yes will also look at bores.  
Thanks for your comments.  

Tony 

You do get fed up with old cars sometimes!  I've been restoring/modifying my Elite for 6 years now - can't believe it 😲.  I also need some encouragement sometimes!

Sorry to hear about the gout - much more painful than people think - my friend has it and can hardly walk some days.

Keep up the good work!  Following your progress 🙂

Pete

• 3 months later...

Just reading back through my posts. Had the carbs back around six weeks ( total guess ) they look good on the outside, hopefully perfect on the inside.  
So I need to fit cam covers , dizzy and carbs. Think I should probably get another cam belt as the one I fitted has been static for couple of years. Would you agree with that. 

• Like 1

Tony 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Doris the dog said:

I need to purchase an outdoor cover for the car.  Can anyone recommend a decent one please. 

Have a look at Halfords' (Yes I know, Halfords !!!) own, the large is very large, easily covers the Elite, but great covers.