Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
power upgrades - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

power upgrades

Hello Everyone,

I'm a first time lotus owner, picked up my car 8 months ago from Lotus dealership Taiwan. Car runs perfectly so far, no issue whatsoever, very exciting to drive. having done few mods and track days, i figure its time to look at power upgrades + brakes.

I am debating between charged cooled or non cooled power upgrades. From what i have read, stock internals are reliable at 430hp so non-cooled kits from both komotec and harrop should be worried free. but what about charged cooled kit? at 460~470hp, is forged internal a must? I do around 5 to 7 track days a year. any opinions are appreciated.

List of mods so far: harness bar, Schroth 4pt, oil pressure/oil temp. gauge, moroso baffled sump,

lightweight battery, steering arm, Advan Racing wheels, Carbon roof, Carbon service panel,

Autoblip, momo removable steering wheel, 3ways nitron, Komotec Wing, Aim Dash MX2E.

P1070697.JPG

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The limit without doing internal changes is about 500HP. The Komotec EX460-kits have proven to be very reliable (if correctly installed).

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

@TBD do you know how the 475 kits from KomoTec are behaving?  

Welcome @Team Lotus, your Lotus looks superb (love the wheels) and you've made some nice mods already! :)

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

My recommendation:

Chargecooled EX460 Kit from KomoTec and Quafe LSD to get the power on the street - this setup is perfect for me, I can't think for anything better!

I would not do any powerupgrade without adding a chargecooler.

If the EX460 Kit for what reason ever is not an option consider to apply the close ratio final drive from KomoTec instaed.

• Like 2

If you want a big power step such as over 420bhp etc then id suggest charge cooled if doing a decent number of track days. Komotec for sure being my recommendation as its a complete solution vs Harrop which still includes the choking cats in the manifolds.

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

10 hours ago, Team Lotus said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm a first time lotus owner, picked up my car 8 months ago from Lotus dealership Taiwan. Car runs perfectly so far, no issue whatsoever, very exciting to drive. having done few mods and track days, i figure its time to look at power upgrades + brakes.

I am debating between charged cooled or non cooled power upgrades. From what i have read, stock internals are reliable at 430hp so non-cooled kits from both komotec and harrop should be worried free. but what about charged cooled kit? at 460~470hp, is forged internal a must? I do around 5 to 7 track days a year. any opinions are appreciated.

List of mods so far: harness bar, Schroth 4pt, oil pressure/oil temp. gauge, moroso baffled sump,

lightweight battery, steering arm, Advan Racing wheels, Carbon roof, Carbon service panel,

Autoblip, momo removable steering wheel, 3ways nitron, Komotec Wing, Aim Dash MX2E.

P1070697.JPG

You can go to the Komotec EX490 kit for the 350 or 380’s and this seems to be the limit without any internal upgrade but gearbox oil cooler is a definite. For V6’s 460 bhp

Peculiarly Komotec have not fully cracked the 410/430 ECU, hence only 475bhp

• Like 1

It's a software/hardware addon that works off the ECU to automatically "blip" the throttle on downshifts for rev matching etc. For talentless people like me that cannot heel and toe properly :)

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

41 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

It's a software/hardware addon that works off the ECU to automatically "blip" the throttle on downshifts for rev matching etc. For talentless people like me that cannot heel and toe properly :)

Have you any knowledge of the system that is used as always fancied having it fitted/adapted on mine 

2 minutes ago, Tex said:

Have you any knowledge of the system that is used as always fancied having it fitted/adapted on mine 

No. At least one owner on here has had it fitted.  Komotec did offer it as an upgrade, not sure if they still do. 

The small print.

16 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

No. At least one owner on here has had it fitted.  Komotec did offer it as an upgrade, not sure if they still do. 

Cheers, and yes Komotec don’t appear to have it now

10 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

I see there is one UK dealer who stock it, cheers 

8 minutes ago, alias23 said:

Or learn to H&T 😄

Too old to learn new tricks.... ;)

The small print.

24 minutes ago, Tex said:

Cheers, and yes Komotec don’t appear to have it now

I see there is one UK dealer who stock it, cheers 

Some People believe it gives issues... 

7 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

Some People believe it gives issues... 

Yes after some research I have also come across this...

it’s not a mod that’s popular / or I haven’t heard much about it. I can heel and toe, but if there was a reliable mod that improved that I would look in to it. 

thanks for all the replies. @TBDGood to know internals are good for EX460 kit. I agree Komotec offers a more complete kit with full exhaust but the track I go has 106db noise limit; OEM exhaust rev to 4K just pass the limit by a few db. what I do now is rev to 3.6k and hope the guy looking at my dash would give me a break Lol. (3.6k at 98db)

LSD would be nice but requires engine out, If do that, i'll be thinking about forged internal, uprated clutch etc. and most likely be out of this year's budget but definitely on my list later on.

Autoblip and bluetooth earphones are consider luxuries on car like this😄. I could heel toe just fine but about 2 out of 10 times would not be perfectly smooth; with autoblip it feels almost like PDK downshift, quite pleased with it, plus can be turn off with a button. one thing to note if anyone wants to get one, connection would be better if solder instead of quick splice to car's signal lines.

• Like 1

@Team Lotus have you considered one of the quiet track exhausts? In terms of the LSD it doesn't have to be an engine out... there's a way to make it work with the engine in situ and without removing rear clam. However its still a pretty meaty job.

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

3 hours ago, 62dave said:

The autoblip is now for sale on Gregs Race Parts

I'm curious why KomoTec dropped it.

The small print.