Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brexit - Page 153 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry @Bling that that was the best response you could come up with.  It's not worth continuing the debate to be honest if that is the quality of a fact based response.

Have fun.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Agreed. If facts from people in the industry and photos do not fit with your view of the world, so be it. I'm out 👍

• Like 1

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

There’s always been some empty shelves in our local Sainsburys in an evening waiting to be restocked.

Well, I guess we should believe this attempt of convincing the public of shortages that the Daily Mirror tried earlier in the week 😂

At least you showed a wider area

A2353782-8360-49A7-94EC-D6FFF167BFD7.jpeg

FB816F1F-20C9-44C8-97C9-69CE27906664.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Bling said:

Agreed. If facts from people in the industry and photos do not fit with your view of the world, so be it. I'm out 👍

To be honest, if you call that industry insight and facts, you deserve to be out :)

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I am not that fussed on Supermarket Ian although I was not too happy on Monday to find the shelves empty. Meat and water seemed to be the main shortages along with other shelves but I didn't look to see what was meant to be on those.

Apparently milk is having to be destroyed now due to the driver shortage. They are also forecasting risks to the electricity supply this winter. Something else to look forward to.

• Like 1

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

Sorry but I lost interest when you compared us to the Eastern bloc of the seventies. Having been to the Eastern bloc in the early seventies I can tell you the it is nothing like that here and never will be. 

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Farmers have been pouring milk down the drain for the past 20 years due to the EU and also the pricing and supplier strategies of the supermarket. Nothing new here to be honest.

What's your point re Electricity Supply issues this winter? It's a statement, but what is the purpose? Is it to support the fact the UK is becoming the new Eastern Europe of the 70's? To support your view that Brexit is to blame?

• Like 1

The small print.

18 hours ago, C8RKH said:

They wouldn't care as long as they get paid. Come on now.....

Change hurts, and Brexit was a big change for everyone. It takes time. Not saying that as an excuse. It's just  fact. The EU did not exactly make this easy, they could have been a bit more reasonable, that would have benefitted everyone. But hey ho.

These are the same drivers you said were being exploited by poor pay & conditions?  The workers came here if it was a good deal for them.  They had a whole continent and us to choose from.  If the aim was to improve conditions/pay for all workers, Brexit was a drastic way to go about this. E.g. drivers were always considered a key part of the economy in France, & the road tolls there pay for decent facilities which wouldn't otherwise be viable for private companies to run.  Here; run down bolt-ons to service stations with little investment for decades.

The second part of your comment gets to the nub of things.  If Brexit was the solution, the way it has been done is reckless & irresponsible.  There is evidence of pretty much everything in the 'yellowhammer' no deal Brexit report now happening.  The main impact is on the low paid, for whom inflation hits a far greater proportion of income in terms of the cost of living.

Being a self-sufficient country is a noble aim, but a long-term fantasy at best.  We produce only 60% or thereabouts of the food & energy we need.  We haven't invested in skills/training to fill the gap in the workforce.  We will get there if we have to, but it will take years of disruption.  

The government's solution? Whip the rug from under everyone & see what happens.  Far better to have invested in the infrastructure & skills we need first, in my opinion.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Doug Ashley said:

These are the same drivers you said were being exploited by poor pay & conditions?

Apologies, you missed my point so I should have made it clearer. My response was to say that IF the pay and conditions were better here, than in the EU, then they would come - money talks. I was in NO WAY defending people being exploited with low pay and poor conditions. I do not support that at all.

All the points you raise above Doug are generational issues that have been around for 20-30 years. That have not been tackled by any government, regardless of colour, etc. My gripe, is that people like you seem to present it as a problem that is NOW - i.e. created by the government or by Brexit.  That's just a painfully dishonest presentation of the issues and their cause.  Remember, some of the "food" issues and the decline in fishing over generations, are as a direct result of EU policies that we adopted, as it is largely what we do, versus many in Europe just ignoring it.

I don't disagree with you or the Porsche fella in terms of things being fundamentally wrong and needing to be fixed. I just disagree with the constant link to Brexit as being the bearer of all things evil when in fact, these issues and problems have been systemic for 20 years or more, and not addressed by successive governments and parties, none of which today, have any real scooby or answer to these systemic problems. Just blaming it on Brexit as the cause is, in my humble opinion, lazy!  Yes, Brexit may have been the tipping point, but the issues are far more deep rooted than that.

• Like 1

The small print.

The electricity supply problem is nothing to do with Brexit - there was a fire in the termination building of one of the France-UK undersea cables which knocked it out of action. Currently still not fully functional and hence there is reduced power coming in from France.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/incidents

• Like 1
Dave - 2000 Sport 350

When it suits the media everything negative os Brexit orientated, even if it’s not true.

I am sure there are more scaremongering stories to be written yet with sensational if not over exaggerated headlines.
Do these “reporters” (I avoid the word journalist so as not to do disservice to the few real ones) now get paid bonuses on the numbers who fall for their click bait.😠

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Reporters making a mountain out of a molehill.

Anyway - so what if there’s a food shortage - most of the uk are obese anyway. Might stop folks chucking so much food down their necks or in the bin.

one things for sure - it’ll be fine round here - milk on tap at the farm over the road and as much PYO lambs and rabbits as you can eat.

bring on the power cuts 👍

• Like 2

Only here once

Wow, shop shelves in France empty too? Supply chains in tatters.  Oh well, at least that is something else that Macron and his English Remain chums can blame on Brexit!  :)

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Shortages-of-goods-in-France-What-is-expected-in-the-months-to-come

• Like 1

The small print.

1 hour ago, basalte said:

despite many possibly being rather tired of the whole topic

That's why it has it's own thread so those that are tired of don't have to be a part of it. TLF is very accommodating in that respect.  :)

It's a bit like the BBC, if you're tired of it then switch the channel.

The small print.

A great post @basalte and some good points made. I agree with you re "am over egging the pudding". I think my posts would not leave anyone in any doubt about that. Guilty as charged m'Lord.

In my defense, that over egging is a direct response, maybe a crass one, to what I see as a continual over egging of everything being caused by Brexit.  It seems that you can easily get away with blaming stuff on Brexit as somehow, some of the people who do it, believe that it shows they are of a superior intellect, to those who voted Brexit and therefore they are not worthy/able of challenge.  I am not accusing you of being this, just making a general statement about those who believe it is legitimate to just constantly throw the shit at Brexit.

I'm not stupid enough to think that Brexit has not caused issues, nor that it will not cause additional issues in the future. But then I'm not stupid enough to think that being a part of the EU had not caused us issues and would not have continued to cause issues in the future. 

All is not rosy in the EU right now. There is discontent with the EU machine in France, Poland, Hungary, Germany and Italy. We were not alone in our thinking that all was not good.

Only time will tell if the UK was "smart" to get out before the collapse, or dumb to get out of what develops and grows into a success. I don't think any of us can predict the future, and hence why I get prodded by people who smugly pronounce, so soon after the event, that it is all pre-ordained as a massive failure! It will be some time before we know for sure.

The small print.

3 hours ago, Doug Ashley said:

The greater & more immediate concern I have is what else the Vote Leave crew are now getting up to in Downing Street, with zero accountability. 

Yes, but we do at least have the opportunity to vote them out every five years. Unlike the unelected EU mandarins.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.