IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Neal H said:

Rules are rules. I remember having an apple confiscated at US immigration many years ago.

I can recall that you were not allowed to take oranges into California - even if coming from the neighbouring state - as we found out in 2001 when travelling in the US. The oranges came from breakfast at our previous hotel.

2 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Why didn’t he just eat the sandwiches first?

Or just conveniently place it out of sight and out of mind!  I agree though, those are the rules and when you fly back into the UK it has always said in the customs walkthrough the list of "food items" you are not allowed to bring into the country. The ham might be new to the list but the lists have always been there!  It's just stirring BS news as it's a quiet news day. I mean, nothing really momentous has happened in a while now.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I quite agree - rules is rules,  tough - read the new rules and deal with it . Eat before you go, or buy something at the Port or on the ferry - unless eating a beef stew would be considered either importing POAO or smuggling contraband ?

At least the Dutch customs bloke thought it was funny (ludicrous) but he was doing his job according to the new rules WITH a sense of humour.

Wonder how many at Dover/ Harwich etc.  would treat incoming visitors ?

PS - Don't forget - only 200 Cigs for personal consumtion allowed when coming back from a holiday 🤣

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, andydclements said:

I now it's stupid that just a few days earlier the exact same food would have been OK to take to the Netherlands etc, and the rules for producing the food

I’m sure there’s certain plant based “foods” you ain’t allowed to bring back from that general area.

Only here once

17 minutes ago, SFO said:

The press still struggling to find any newsworthy Brexit story ...

I'd say having to spend an extra 2 grand on an 'average' new car is newsworthy.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/ford-fiesta-st-and-puma-st-prices-rise-“due-brexit”

2 hours ago, thebartman said:

Wonder how many at Dover/ Harwich etc.  would treat incoming visitors ?

I think you'd be surprised how many would be accommodating. Based on travelling extensively across Europe for work the Brits officials are usually far less "official" than most in Europe.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

15 minutes ago, jerzybondov said:

I'd say having to spend an extra 2 grand on an 'average' new car is newsworthy.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/ford-fiesta-st-and-puma-st-prices-rise-“due-brexit”

Not really as it is not EVERY new car is it? Just buy a car that does not have overseas components that push it over the "tarriff-free access". The "free" market economics will act just like when the car tax groups changed. Some manufacturers will boom and some will bust as a result.  Maybe those "few" US components could be made in the UK thereby negating the issue?  Oh, there's a thought?

Wonder how much of that £2k is Ford being opportunist? Oh silly me. They'd NEVER do anything like that would they to cash in on one of their best models for years....:whistle:

• Like 1

The small print.

• Gold FFM
1 minute ago, C8RKH said:

Oh silly me. They'd NEVER do anything like that would they to cash in on one of their best models for years....:whistle:

Oops - is anyone being cynical ??  😉 🤣  (Surely not,Ed)

• Love 1

Just now, thebartman said:

Oops - is anyone being cynical ??  😉 🤣  (Surely not,Ed)

You know me better than the wife....  xx

The small print.

• Gold FFM

IIRC, car manufacturers used to be be able to send parts/partly completed sub-assemblies/completed assemblies back and forth across La Manche without any VAT restrictions (just transport costs).

Maybe, just maybe, the UK will now re-learn how to make components, and build full cars, in-shore and show the world that we have moved on from BL etc. and know how to do this stuff without anyone else's nose stuck in our business ..... and the redundant cost of freight could be passed on to the consumer (wishful thinking) 😉 

• Like 1

A local fisherman had a gun pulled on him by EU customs (can't remember which country) when he had no paperwork for empty fish boxes returning to the UK. Ever get the feeling the EU is playing silly buggers.

Euroscepticism in France has seen a rise in recent years as a result of the emergence of Marine Le Pen, the right wing nationalist leader of National Rally. She has been a staunch critic of the EU, previously campaigning for France to hold a referendum on its membership. Ms Le Pen never achieved this, to the relief of French President Macron, who admitted that his country would have voted to leave. 

On 15/01/2021 at 18:59, march said:

A local fisherman had a gun pulled on him by EU customs (can't remember which country) when he had no paperwork for empty fish boxes returning to the UK. Ever get the feeling the EU is playing silly buggers.

Oh yes. They've been playing silly buggers with us for years, just too many people did not believe it.

The small print.

They are confiscating British Drivers sandwiches as they are not allowed to import meat without paperwork. Oh yes they are playing silly buggers.

• Haha 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

The good news keeps coming - it’s a bit buried on the bbc as expected - doubt it’ll make tv news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55757930

• Like 2

Only here once