Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brexit - Page 155 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

13 minutes ago, Bibs said:

On LBC yesterday they said that we've issued 98% of French applications for fishing permits, 750 I think it was. The 2% which haven't been issued are because the french boats can't prove they fished the area before Brexit due to incomplete paperwork before the split. France has issued 2 permits, 2, to UK boats to fish in EU (French) waters. And they are out for war. :blink:

So let's give them war by boycotting their goods and blanking their ports, airports, etc, I'm just sick of the abuse but no doubt a few Francophile expats will be along to tell us we've got it all wrong or it's our fault the French politicians are generally just twats!

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/10/2021 at 17:58, Barrykearley said:

Reporters making a mountain out of a molehill.

Anyway - so what if there’s a food shortage - most of the uk are obese anyway. Might stop folks chucking so much food down their necks or in the bin.

one things for sure - it’ll be fine round here - milk on tap at the farm over the road and as much PYO lambs and rabbits as you can eat.

bring on the power cuts 👍

Pretty much spot on. My Mrs throws away almost criminal amounts of food on a weekly basis despite my protestations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Doug Ashley said:

What total shite journalism that is. Where exactly does it support its claims re "job losses". A company opening an office in Ireland or basing a "hub" in an EU country is not necessarily resulting in UK job losses?

Also, what about the news re Shell? Where does that fit?

To be brutally honest, it is this short of shite and lazy sensationalist reporting, to be clear from Both sides, Remain and Leave, that is both shocking and shameful. What is worse is that many people actually "believed" any of it, from any side.

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

What is worse is that many people actually "believed" any of it, from any side.

The end of the world is nigh. In other news - record levels of uk employeed 🤔 

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Sticking my head above the parapet here but, from a purely selfish point of view, having just arrived in Munich I can tell you that immigration/passport control for non-EU citizens is a royal PITA.

@C8RKHit's typical of the journalism of one of the owners behind this newspaper, Peter Jukes. He is an ex guardian left wing reporter who set up his own online newspaper

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

33 minutes ago, pete said:

@C8RKHit's typical of the journalism of one of the owners behind this newspaper, Peter Jukes. He is an ex guardian left wing reporter who set up his own online newspaper

Got it. Did not know that. Thanks.

The small print.

4 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

Sticking my head above the parapet here but, from a purely selfish point of view, having just arrived in Munich I can tell you that immigration/passport control for non-EU citizens is a royal PITA.

get over it. There are 27 countries iirc in the EU whose citizens get special treatment. You are a citizen of one of the other 300 or so countries that aren't. It's not personal. In fact most of the whining about Brexit seems to be because people are pissed off as they feel they have lost something - i.e. it's got nothing to do with anything other than what they believe they should be entitled too!  :)

The only reason it is a PITA is because the authorities choose to not have enough stations open to process the volume. Same in the UK where i would argue it's been a PITA, especially at Heathrow, regardless of whether you were a returning British Citizen, an EU citizen or a citizen of the rest of the world.  There is no reason for it to be a PITA other than the people checking the passports, whatever country it is, are usually just brain dead morons being managed by Zombified bosses. Or at least, that's how it always looks to me.

• Like 1

The small print.

5 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Whatever became of the French fisherman and Macron chest-beating and sabre-rattling about fishing licences? Haven’t seen anything about it for ages now.

There getting on the dinghies too on their way to the land of milk and honey......😄

• Haha 1

Dave.

12 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

When it's your job, then it's a little bit hard to get over it.  Sorry, but that's just asinine.

Rollocks. The point I was making is that you are just miffed that your "special" status has been revoked. I was just pointing out that if you lived in any of the other several hundred countries that did not have that "special" status then it was just the way it was.  As I said, people are "miffed" as they feel they have been cheated/lost something that only a small fraction of the worlds population ever had.  What is extremely foolish or stupid is thinking that you are special!  :)

Believe me I know it's a PITA, I travel extensively and have done for over 20 years for my job.  But now, for me, it is no different going to the EU as it is say the US, Israel, Dubai, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, China, South Africa etc.  

10 hours ago, Dave Eds said:

There getting on the dinghies too on their way to the land of milk and honey......😄

Being French, more likely they are in a restaurant eating the illegally caught fish that had been poached in the milk and honey!

The small print.

2 minutes ago, DaveC72 said:

So, I'm foolish and/or stupid.  Brilliant. I'm out.  Can't argue with such a razor sharp insight in to who I am or what I do.

I was responding to you saying my comment was "asinine" - or in simple English "foolish or stupid". Seems like flowers can throw shit but can't take it. No problem petal. I'll stop.  :0

The small print.

On 16/11/2021 at 14:02, C8RKH said:

No doubt if I search I can find a similar "positive" list

I would love to see one..

Whether or not jobs are lost in each example, they are all examples of business activity or resources avoiding the UK because it is now more complicated and expensive to operate here, if your international ambitions include trade with our closest neighbours.  

It is quite telling that you readily accept the Shell move as a Brexit benefit, but go into detailed scrutiny for examples of the problems Brexit has caused.  In true playground style - they started it with the Shell story 😉

Sorry, perhaps I'm feeling a bit embittered this week due to receiving yet another £££ customs charge after buying something from Holland (which was not available in the UK).

On 16/11/2021 at 14:02, C8RKH said:

For christ's sake, no wonder some people are in a dour mood when all they look for is a dark cloud to sit under.

My mood is surprisingly good given the state of the country.  The British default seems to be 'oh well, things could be worse', but as a patriot I have the imagination to realise that things could be far, far better and it's frustrating that (in part) it is self-inflicted.  We've made things more difficult and expensive, for... control?  I don't feel like the country is under any sort of control of ordinary people.

But rather than sit here and just point out the problems, I also have a solution (well, second option after taking the Lotus for a spin) - proportional representation (like most of the civilised world has adopted).  With this, we would have had a far better compromise reflecting the entire country, rather than giving 100% control to a minority group and an extreme outcome.

On 16/11/2021 at 13:48, Barrykearley said:

In other news - record levels of uk employeed

Have you removed MPs' extra jobs from the figures? 😉

In other other news, inflation is spiking and we had lower GDP growth than the Eurozone in Q3 2021. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Doug Ashley said:

Whether or not jobs are lost or not in each example, they are all examples of business activity or resources avoiding the UK because it is now more complicated and expensive to operate here, if your international ambitions include trade with our closest neighbours. . 

It all depends how you read some of those links Doug.

Most of the new jobs were all “jam tomorrow” and other would have moved anyway due to lower labour and production costs, just like many before them whilst we were still in the EU.

it’s almost impossible to do so but you have to filter out the vested interests.

BTW, I voted remain but just accept that we are out, why continue to moan about it?
TBH, although I voted remain I am now glad that we are out. The EU has since demonstrated just what a set of petty minded, vested interested individuals they are and continue to do so by the day!

Yes we have pretty poor journalists, I trust the media about as much as I do the government.  There is a lot of information out there but all needs to be filtered.

It's difficult to draw conclusions based on every case, and Brexit isn't ever the only factor.

• Like 2

As far as I know, we had a democratic vote (and as ever in a free democracy we got bullshit from all sides) and the country as whole decided to leave and we've left.

This constant bitching, carping, sniping and moaning and whining that people keep producing isn't going to change the decision. As far as I know there is no new vote planned any time soon, or on the horizon to ask the question again. Nor is there any immediate appetite from the EU to "let us off the hook" and back in any time soon. And, as far as I can see we are seeing strengthening protests AGAINST the EU in France, Italy, Hungary, Poland, the Netherlands, so, would there still be an EU to rejoin.

So, @Doug Ashley - can I respectfully ask what your, and the others on here doing the same, point is in constantly digging up "examples" of where Brexit is to blame for something? What are you trying to achieve? Is it just your opportunity to prove that YOU were RIGHT all along to us dullards who voted to Leave?  What is all this bitching, whining, moaning etc really achieving? What difference is it making?  Why cannot we just put the decision behind us and move on, and work out how best to make things work for the UK and her citizens without this constant bickering and need for division?

It's like with some of my Scottish neighbours, who even after three, four hundred years reel off their "grievances" with the English and Westminster. It's frankly quite pathetic really that things that happened so long ago are used as justification for division now. I feel that Brexit is going the same way. So, I'd love to know WHY this approach, and WHAT you believe it will achieve.

Thanks for being patient with me.

• Like 1

The small print.