Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brexit - Page 156 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

1 hour ago, Doug Ashley said:

In other other news, inflation is spiking and we had lower GDP growth than the Eurozone in Q3 2021. 

In other news, the IMF forecast for the UK 2021 (whole year growth) has been revised down from 7.0% to 6.8%, against a Eurozone forecast for the 2021 whole year of 5.0% with the Uk on a country by country basis beating France (6.2%), the US (6.0%), Italy (5.8%), Gernamy (3.1%) and Japan (2.4%).

As for inflation, the October figure for the UK was 4.2%. For the Eurozone it was 4.1%. 

As a patriot, I try not to seek to blame everything on one thing, or another, but to look for opportunities to support growth and make the UK a better, more inclusive, place. 

1 hour ago, Doug Ashley said:

It is quite telling that you readily accept the Shell move as a Brexit benefit

That was just, as you well know I suspect, a convenient "sound bite" to counter your negative list.  You'd be a good foil for Angela Raynor I suspect :)

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Doug Ashley said:

Rejoining the single market and customs union perhaps 

If the EU had stopped at a "single market" and "customs union" we would not be in this position would we? The 4 decades of whining would have been tolerated (as we in the Uk are very tolerant) but never taken seriously or acted on. 

Also, feel free to mention the 4 decades of whining in the Uk, but also the four decades of whining and the 2 decades of stopping us joining in the first place from your friends in Paris for instance!

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

3 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

This is exactly what you would have had, if the opposition parties had supported Theresa May's 'deal' rather than gambling on  a game of Poker, in which they lost big time. It was the clowns in parliament that let you down, not the 'Brexiteers'

Spot on. Very succinctly put. Cracking response.

• Like 1

The small print.

15 hours ago, Doug Ashley said:

I just see people playing down the impact of Brexit

14 hours ago, C8RKH said:

For me it was never about anything other than "sovereignty".  Trade, freedom of movement, common market - I had no issues with that at all. But when the EU decided it wanted to be a "sovereign country", whose sovereignty was above member states, with it's own EU army and border forces etc was the day I said "no" to EU membership.

As per my points above, I have never "played down the impact of Brexit". I always knew it was going to be complex, painful, difficult and that it would hurt. However, the key for me, was I was prepared to accept that "pain" as the price for retaining sovereignty.  So I am not trying to play down the impact, I am trying to make the best of the conditions we now have.  There is a subtle difference here - in other words, i am not denying it is hard. I have never denied it is hard.

This forms the basis for my responses say on here, where I say to be "stop whinging about passport control, it's now how it works, just get on with it, like the rest of the world has done for decades".  I'm not saying it is not a PITA. Not difficult. I'm just saying it is the new normal, stop whining, make it work!

We have a tendency to focus on the bad points. But what does that achieve, really, in the end? Grumble away for sure, but it will only make you more miserable and not change anything. So ultimately it's pointless.

But if you focus on being positive you can improve things and seek opportunities to make things better.

The small print.

I want GB to work with everybody but be ruled by ourselves - that why I voted for Brexit.

Freedom of movement was an issue - if you are going to allow immigration it should be controlled ensuring that we have adequate housing, school places and medical facilities to support the influx. 

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, Frickin_idiot said:

if you are going to allow immigration it should be controlled ensuring that we have adequate housing, school places and medical facilities to support the influx. 

Not an issue - just use older 4* hotels instead

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only here once

Well there seems to have been a degree of caricaturisation of respective positions. I have zero doubt that all on this thread want our country to succeed , but the means to achieve that are of course in dispute. Making 44% of our trade more cumbersome with our nearest neighbours does not seem the easiest way to achieve it. On the other hand there have been diplomatic tensions regardless of wider basic allegiances.  Whilst I can see some merit in arguments for "Sovereignty effectively whatever the cost" ( in the light of the experience of Greece in particular) , "Sovereignty" and "Taking Back Control" seem inadequate to describe a situation where for example  70% of UK train companies are partially or wholly foreign owned .

Arriva aka Deutsche Bahn , includes Wales and Borders , Tyne and Wear Metro.

Avanti West Coast -30 % Trenitalia 

C2C-Trenitalia

Govia including Thameslink , London Midland, Gatwick Express, Southern, Great Northern - 35% Keolis (which is 70% owned by the French State-if we declare war on France we`re stuffed !)

Heathrow Express : 41.88% Singapore China and Qatar shareholding

Peppa Pig -US toy maker Hasbro (ok its a cartoon pig beloved of some senior politicians not a train but you get my drift)acquired British Company Entertainment One for $3.8 billion on 31st Dec 2019.

So all this talk of "taking back control" and "sovereignty" only takes you so far where the predominance of a free market ideology holds sway here to a far greater extent then in  most other European nations .

French company PSA closed down their Ryton works ;

did the 2,000 redundant workers there "take back control" ?

Honda closed in Swindon

-did their dismissed workers "take back control "?

(I won`t mention  other car companies just here...)

Mondelez (a subsidiary of US corporation Kraft)  own Cadburys .

British greatness and independence depended to a very large extent on its own ability to make its own economic decisions, to say nothing of the personal feeling of "taking back control " if you have a steady job that puts food on the table for your family. 

EU or no EU that has largely gone.

By all means laud "Global Britain" instead but in doing so, there is no room for economic jingoism .

Citing our greatness whilst ignoring the sheer number bread and butter industries and infrastructure that are not controlled by Britain-many of which are indeed controlled by EU corporations - never ceases to amaze me.

• Like 2

There's got to be enough for the Police; French, British, Interpol or whoever to arrest the people smugglers who are not only making what appears to be huge sums of cash from this but are killing pretty large numbers of people. 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/several-dead-in-channel-tragedy-258018/

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Honda closing down Swindon had nothing to do with Brexit. It was because of EU/Japan trade deal that removed tariffs on imports of Japanese cars into EU. Honda's Swindon plant would have closed even if Brexit hadn't happened. 

Honda isn't opening another plant anywhere in the EU. 

Edited by SFO
  • Like 2

Just to qualify one earlier example of a misplaced comment to satisfy individuals personal beliefs  “ Honda pulled out of UK”.

“Honda sales in Europe have declined steadily from 2009 to 2015, with market share sliding to below 1% for the first time ever in 2015, compared to 2 percent in 2007. Before dropping to an all-time low in 2017” 

Honda made a strategic decision to concentrate on markets where they can typically sell 10x more than in Europe. The numbers just didn’t stack and with the removal of tariffs, more cost effective to import the small volumes from Japan. The Swindon plant could have been anywhere within the EU and the decision would have been the same. Although, the case with Mitsubishi, slightly different who made the strategic decision to entirely withdraw from Europe.

Absolutely nothing to do with BREXIT!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MJON said:

Just to qualify one earlier example of a misplaced comment to satisfy individuals personal beliefs  “ Honda pulled out of UK”.

“Honda sales in Europe have declined steadily from 2009 to 2015, with market share sliding to below 1% for the first time ever in 2015, compared to 2 percent in 2007. Before dropping to an all-time low in 2017” 

Honda made a strategic decision to concentrate on markets where they can typically sell 10x more than in Europe. The numbers just didn’t stack and with the removal of tariffs, more cost effective to import the small volumes from Japan. The Swindon plant could have been anywhere within the EU and the decision would have been the same. Although, the case with Mitsubishi, slightly different who made the strategic decision to entirely withdraw from Europe.

Absolutely nothing to do with BREXIT!

You could argue the same for Mitsubishi, pulled out of UK car market but again, more market dynamics than anything to do with Brexit but people will link it as desperation to prove they were right and Brexit is bad.

• Like 1

The small print.

Oh dear I seem to have inadvertently touched a raw nerve by mentioning organisations controlled by small unaccountable groups running key parts of UK infrastructure. I had hoped that people who desire “ sovereignty “ could relate to that unsatisfactory undemocratic situation.  
As an aside there is still plenty of caricaturisation and assumptions over what people actually think and mean in this thread and it reeks of the screaming - headlines propaganda stance taken by particular newspapers and broadcasters who ( behind their moral high horses ) have their own reasons for avoiding scrutiny of their financial affairs ( by the EU amongst others ). Apparently my remarks about the way the EU oppressed Greece count for nothing in this thread ; I have to be a True Believer one way or the other ! 

Talking of “ country miles “  you have definitely missed my point by said measure  .Trying to make my post a moan about Brexit when I was making a much wider point about lack of national control over economic destiny .

I deliberately chose and included examples of foreign companies operating here long before Brexit - do you honestly think I am unaware of that timeline ? Bizarre . 

The point which you have all missed by a country mile is that this country started to fail to be be in control of its economic infrastructure in the 1980s , “EU or no EU “.
I’ll repeat that , since you ignored it the first time in my above post that I took the trouble to put in black and white . 
“EU or no EU “. 
Like I wrote in my post above . In black and white .

Bit miffed you chose to ignore that bit in favour of lazily stereotyping me as a moaner . 

Yes Honda and Nissan invested here from Japan and the EU let them .
So what’s your problem with the EU there ?

Apparently the “Soviet / Nazi EU “ didn’t mind the world investing in the UK . Not a very consistent position to take unless you accept the reality that the EU is not and never was an Enemy of the free market .

- and so we arrive at the crux of your hostility . 

Do you honestly think I fail to recognise that most of you love the “free market “ ( despite that actually meaning “large corporations “ these days ) ? People who do well out of the free market love it and think it’s the best invention since money itself - that’s how our social system predominantly works .

So ok , I am going to clarify ; maybe I just wasn’t clear enough about the nature of my scepticism over “ Sovereignty “ and “ Taking back control “ .

You think foreigners owning our key infrastructure isn’t a problem.

I happen to think it is . Most tax they pay goes to their home country ; most damagingly, decisions affecting the livliehood of thousands are made outside those communities, outside those countries , outside accountability ,

EU or no EU ! Yes ? 

I’m sure workers at the sharp end of those decisions would love a bit of “ taking back control “ .

Or will they fling their caps in the air and shout “ Hooray for the wonderful Free Market and the dole office !!” 

(By the way you mean I should “figuratively “ fook off not “literally “. Maybe I would literally but your precious Brexit ended freedom of movement). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Gold FFM
13 hours ago, Bibs said:

There's got to be enough for the Police; French, British, Interpol or whoever to arrest the people smugglers who are not only making what appears to be huge sums of cash from this but are killing pretty large numbers of people. 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/several-dead-in-channel-tragedy-258018/

I simply cannot understand why the uk government doesn’t fund fishermen et al to assist in dealing with this. Stop giving money to the French - they are just spending it on wine and cheese.8F23D81A-B3E5-4FAB-AD85-509CAF37D7DB.thumb.jpeg.d1b2598851ed383ce3232a85b537c56a.jpeg

Only here once

It's a tragedy. But getting rather sick and tired of the French attacks on the UK.

I would immediately start operations to intercept the boats in the channel and tow them back to France. Disembark the people and destroy the boats and engines.

I would open a UK special embassy by the camp. And I would staff it and process every asylum seeker IN FRANCE. Those who were legitimate, had a right, would get settled in the UK. Every one of them during the processing would have fingerprints and DNA taken to verify future id (I'm a massive fan of a UK National database for everyones fingerprints / DNA by the way. No exceptions....).

Anyone who tried to circumvent the process, and was caught would have their future settlement rights removed. That would be a significant deterrent to try and cut off volume of migrants for the scum bag traffickers to exploit.

Clear and unambiguous rules. Strict but fair enforcement. Each party needing to play their part.

• Like 1

The small print.

What I don't get is that the French police just watch - all they have to do is run up/ drive up and put a knife through a tube and it's end of crossing, they don't even have to tackle the migrants. Also many of these boats look like they are being built for single use (the manufacturers will know exactly what they are to be used for), why aren't the police going after and shutting down the boat manufacturers, making tubes is a skilled job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I would open a UK special embassy by the camp. And I would staff it and process every asylum seeker IN FRANCE. Those who were legitimate, had a right, would get settled in the UK. Every one of them during the processing would have fingerprints and DNA taken to verify future id (I'm a massive fan of a UK National database for everyones fingerprints / DNA by the way. No exceptions....).

France is a safe country. There is no good reason for this. 

13 hours ago, basalte said:

Most tax they pay goes to their home country ;

Utter nonsense.

Tax paid to HMRC by a UK business (but foreign owned) does not go to that foreign country. 

3 hours ago, march said:

What I don't get is that the French police just watch.

Come on, it's the national sport. Watching people come into France whilst doing nothing and watching them leave whilst doing nothing  in both cases making it the UK's problem. Admittedly, generally those who entered the country only left because the UK made them. ;)

Seriously though, that is an absolute disgrace and I really cannot see how it can be defended. In the UK those police officers would currently be suspended and awaiting formal charges once someone in an ivory tower can figure out how they can make them stick and the commissioner would have been forced to resign.

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.