Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ALDL to OBD2 - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

ALDL to OBD2

May be a strange question but I have seen adapter cables from GM OBD1 to OBD2. I have a really comprehensive OBD2 machine and wondered if one of these would allow it to read my S4 or is ALDL to USB and laptop my only option?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought as much. Ideally I would want an ALDL to USB as I don't have a laptop old enough for serial port. Any clues as to the best place for them. Eastern shores wont be a problem as im not in too much hurry.

• Gold FFM

You need a free scan or espritmon setup chap - it’s the only way of knowing if the TPS is set correctly. Without it being correct you may well never get 100% throttle - which is where the magic happens.

Only here once

Regarding your original query it depends on whether the diagnostic tool / software  is capable of ALDL diagnostics (some of the professional tools are) and how the ALDL to OBD-II cable is wired. If both tool and cable are suitable then the next hurdle would be whether the Esprit is supported. I expect that it would not be because, AFAIK, its datastream is unique to the Esprit.

Drop her off Derek. Ill sort your calliper/door lock and you sort my rich and lumpy running/ABS flashing on the Esprit lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Today I found an old Bosch OBD1300 scan tool for OBD1 and 2 that has multiple cables and connectors one of which is labeled GM ALDL.  I was excited and bought the tool. The GM ALDL is not even close to whatever the Esprit connector is. Doesn't match up with anything I can find. Dissapointed. 

For anyone interested this is a video of how to make a usb interface cable for only about £10 that works fine with Windows 10.

The video is titled for the elan M100 but I can vouch that the cable works fine with the Esprit.

The power jumper was missing from the board that I bought even though it was on the photo on the ad but not a problem for me as I had some. but it's only a bit of bent wire anyway. Needs connecting to the 5v terminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVsLD1eJP7Y

• Gold FFM

I watched the video and was surprised by the suggestion to directly connect the transmit and receive lines of the FTDI chip. In other schematics that use a TTL Tx and Rx, a diode (e.g. 1N4148) and resistor (1K) are used between Tx and Rx and the connection to the ALDL line is the point between the diode and the resistor.

It surprised me too (although I'm no electronics expert) but it seems to work fine. I've been using it for over 6 months quite a bit and had no issues.

But having only 2 wires to solder made it dead easy to make.