Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
US LOT Forum - Questions for Lotus - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

US LOT Forum - Questions for Lotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
40 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Not saying anything!

Just one small suggestion. If Lotus are looking for more accessible driving events, where their cars can be driven properly, without breaking Swiss traffic laws or risking any PR disasters, without the need to pay a few hundred quid to close a road (the cost of a trackday anyway), may I suggest they consider using the test track that they drive past on the way to work every morning? Looking for ways to avoid the the cost of track hire when you have one of the best test tracks in the country is... um... [you fill in the blank].

Dumb?

Brainless?

Stoopid?

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I think it’s indicative of the actual amount thought that has gone into customer driving events to date - little to none. Much like all the other ‘possible avenues’ they’re looking into, I’m sure it’s right up there with all the other ideas that are absolutely definitely something to consider, possibly, at some stage. Like I said, Lotus is being run by some proper corporate creatures now. Easy to argue that passionate visionaries never made much money there so let’s see how they get on with some committee culture, procrastination and buzz words!

• Like 2

On a more positive note I was pleased to hear they are producing equipment to help fight the corona virus. A commendable thing to  be doing and also an opportunity to show some smart thinking and innovation. No doubt the highly capable PR team are planning to let people know about this at some stage.

Also enjoyed the conforming to stereotypes when the guy from Hong Kong asked about about access to diagnostic tools and OBD ports, whereas all the Italian wanted to know was about engines! 😄

2 hours ago, The Pits said:

No doubt the highly capable PR team are planning to let people know about this at some stage.

Didn't they just do that in the video?

2 minutes ago, mg4lotus said:

Can a Swiss section be added to TLF to aid their membership?

I did look afterwards and saw that we have 3,000 visitors/year from Switzerland so have an email I'm drafting to Ron to help them out if we can. Not sure Lotus would help and to be fair, there's not much they could do in this instance as TLF is the one with the resources.

• Like 2

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Regarding help to Lotus clubs, over the last 16 years I’ve been involved quite heavily with Lotus Ltd of North America.  Initially running tours for members in 2003/4 and virtually every year until this one (virus).  
For the last 10 years they have been based around both Goodwood events, we visit the two old factories in London, Hethel, CTL, ECM, ACBC grave, Kett Hall, Malcolm Ricketts, Brooklands and other places of interest....including North Norfolk.

In the Bahar period ‘we’ went some way down the road to having some club information put in the car along with the service/instruction books before it was sent to the U.S. We got as far as designing a leaflet, but if memory serves me correctly........Dany left the building.....

I thought it was a great idea, with little cost to Lotus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

Didn't they just do that in the video?

And how widely aired has that been in general then?

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

4 hours ago, The Pits said:

On a more positive note I was pleased to hear they are producing equipment to help fight the corona virus. A commendable thing to  be doing and also an opportunity to show some smart thinking and innovation. No doubt the highly capable PR team are planning to let people know about this at some stage

Lotus did get some some coverage a few weeks back. Also good to see a Chinese company getting a little credit for helping out locally due to the Lotus connection.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/lotus-boss-reveals-protect-and-preserve-plan-against-coronavirus-1-6591824

Interesting to compare with how McLaren are promoting their Covid-19 work. I couldn't see anything on the Group Lotus site.....

https://www.mclaren.com/group/news/articles/

• Like 2

All very fair points.

Though obviously good for volumes if it works, the thought about making cars primarily for US and Chinese tastes and requirements did nothing to reassure me. What does that do to the design and engineering briefs? Major alarm bells for me there.

25 minutes ago, The Pits said:

The thought about making cars primarily for US and Chinese tastes and requirements did nothing to reassure me.

That! 

It is, sadly, totally understandable from a Car maker POV nowadays and unavoidable. But, for me too, it marks a new milestone in the way Lotus is gonna make cars that really doesn't smells good at all for the most of us 😕

• Like 1

A reasonable sounding argument if somewhat exaggerated to stress the point.

The thing that concerns many is not storage bins or tft screens but the change in focus and where that might lead. It could lead to a better, more useable sports car that is shot through with Lotus feel and precision. Or it could lead to the gradual erosion of the things that make Lotus special and different. Road car design operates in a narrow window. A car maker’s focus and priorities are what distinguishes them from their competitors. 

Adding tech is a given, no-one’s arguing against that. But it seems the ambition of many is just for Lotus to catch up. Shouldn’t we be expecting radical innovation from Lotus with access to a big development budget? A game changer that no-one else could make? Or perhaps a radical step change in quality control and build quality (perceived and actual)? With a focus shifted to connectivity and interior tech my concern is that we won’t get any great innovation in areas that affect driving dynamics. You may take the view that Lotus doesn’t need improvements in that area but standing still here feels like a missed opportunity. There does not appear to be an ambition to surpass the GT430 as a driver’s car. The focus now is to surpass its daily usability. I would argue the GT410 already does that but doesn’t appear to transforming Evora sales. Exige has considerably less daily usability and practicality yet continues to outsell Evora.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Very well articulated Andy! Your comments entirely reflect my ownership experience & current views around where Lotus are probably headed based on all the evidence so far. 👍

3 hours ago, Redwing said:

For once, @C8RKH, I completely agree with what you are saying!

3 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

And me!😉

Maybe Lotus will be give me a job lol!

• Confused 1

The small print.

Senseless to wait until the new car launch before starting to talk to potential customers. Lexus starting promoting the company's philosophy long before you could buy an LS400. The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection campaign was based on the Japanese principle of Kaizen (continuous improvement). The thought that went into that first car was incredible. Just one example - an engineer called Ichiro Suzuki devised an anti-aging program to ensure the quality and longevity of components and finishes. The ambition was that a 50,000 mile LS400 should feel, sound and drive exactly like a brand new one. Most would say he achieved that. Things like this were promoted in a terrific print campaign, paving the way towards launch. Like Lotus does now, Toyota had a huge hill to climb to convince anyone that a Japanese car could match and even surpass the best European saloons. This was the late 80s remember, Japanese cars were of thought more like Chinese or Korean cars today. They worked tirelessly with the ambition of making the best luxury saloon in the world and they told people what they had done in an engaging way. It's a fascinating story. They put the ground work in, built a brand from scratch and reaped the rewards.

But as you point out, perhaps they consider spending time and money on educating people about what's great about the current cars to be counter productive. There seems to be a strong desire to distance themselves from the fantastic cars that have taken the company to this point. Didn't work out well for Bahar either.

• Like 2