Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Autocar - 911 vs R8 vs GT410 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Autocar - 911 vs R8 vs GT410

C8RKH

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Good read, and a well rounded review, yes the 911 won. To me the Evora is still my choice, it’s a special place to be in and a magic thing at any speed, yes it’s a little difficult to get into but to me that’s it’s part of its appeal. Sadly when cars become to user friendly they become like common white goods. My concern is if the Lotuses become to easy to use they will loose that endearing  specialness. I hope I’m wrong.

Nice to see the Lotus rate better than the Audi when it's only two thirds the price. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Cheers,

John W

I agree with all the above posts but for me... look at the photos?  Who here would buy either of the German cars on looks? Not me! 

I've got a Panamera for touring and an Evora for B-roads. The 911 tries to do both (and looks huge...). I'll wager my cars do their respective jobs better than the 911.

Good article, I think it describes each car pretty fairly.  Good to see the cars are actually close and the result comes down to personal preference. eg I could use the exact same words as the writer but my conclusion would be the Evora, just because for me the feeling and connection you get driving the car at any speed not just 80mph+ is amazing and trumps everything else.

Also really nice to see the press are taking more notice of the Evora.  There are 3 "vs" threads near the top top of the Evora forum list, slightly different combinations and different mags.  I do feel in past years the press forgot about the Evora and it wasn't involved very much in group tests and articles beyond an initial review of a new car.

I'd take the Audi over the 911 personally. I've had my whole life to come round to the 911 but I'm still waiting.

That's the trouble, the press keep insisting that they are a master of all trades. As a compromise for people who absolutely need a 2+2 then fair enough. But we are sold the story that they are the absolute best a man can get even when compared to dedicated 2 seaters. They are undeniably capable now after decades of engineering out treacherous handling characteristcs but it's not something I desire at all. R8 with the V10 is hugely preferable to me as a fast road car.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Perhaps a 991.2 GT3 manual would provide the necessary uncompromising focus and it’s roughly in/around the R8’s price bracket. Provided of course you can actually get hold of one with a decent spec, which is ever more likely in current market circumstances. Fabulous car.

• Like 2

I'd take an R8 over any 911 personally but that's just me. Having a nice engine in the tail doesn't change the thing I most dislike about it - which is having a nice engine in the tail! R8 V10 is even nicer in any case.

Pretty shocking how quickly Autocar dismissed it in that article. That 911 is pretty hideous to my eyes, significantly worse looking than its predecessors. R8's got worse looking too over time. It does happen - Countach Anniversary, Ferrari 512M, Ferrari 575, 360 Modena, new Corvette.....  just no-one's allowed to say it when it's a 911.

• Gold FFM

You are neglecting the “light is right” principle Jonny! 😊

GT3 manual kerb weight is 1418 kgs as opposed to R8 V10’s 1625 kgs. You’d hate that weight on track.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Pits said:

I'd take an R8 over any 911 personally but that's just me

R8 V10. Wonderful, almost perfect engine. Oh the noise. Oh the torque. Oh my fooking god the width of the R8.  Great on track but on UK roads, you'd have more fun in one of @Alfa2Evora's trucks with its triple turbo charged V48 24ltr diesel tractor!  The 911 GTS is a great car for the dentists and accountants. The GT3 and RS is a wonderful car, truly is a work of art with a superb engine. I'd have either the GT3 or the GT3 RS over an R8 with its Audi A4 interior. However, the R8 spider would be cool for pulling the cougars at the local tennis club, but that's about it the limit to its charms....

• Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
58 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

the R8 spider would be cool for pulling the cougars at the local tennis club

Pulling grannies at the local bingo club more likely 😉

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...

Yan,

Welcome, from an Aussie Evora 400 owner, you sum up the reason for owning a LOTUS very well even more so in Australia.

Where I live, late 911s are very common in fact not a day goes by with out seeing one, and I don't live in Sydney.

On 06/05/2020 at 21:13, blindside said:

Pulling grannies at the local bingo club more likely 😉

that will do me

hindsight: the science that is never wrong