Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
London congestion charge reintroduced - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

London congestion charge reintroduced

Chillidoggy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hmmm...so they don't want you to use Public Transport - but now they try and charge you off the roads.

The 'usual' joined up thinking.....

Having said that - TFL did need a bail-out; maybe they're just desperate for the money!?

There's no "maybe" about it, TFL are in a dire situation financially and I think it's been made clear this change is driven by that. Things are going to get worse for them if they have to run trains etc on much lower passenger numbers per carriage/vehicle.

31 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Khan really isn't showering himself in glory right now. 

But hopefully he is showering.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Basically the uptick of the congestion charge was a condition set by the government to approve the government bail out of TFL. This was the last minute to agree something before they had to cancel many tube and train.

The logic of the government is that they want Londoners to pay for it and don’t want any risk of being accused to have the whole nation paying for a London infrastructure.

• Like 1

Yup - Income tax will go up by 5% for higher rate tax payers. Government tax relief on pension savings will be abolished for anyone on higher rate tax. Will be needed to stay in place for at least 10 years.

Fat tax on food will be introduced and trade deal with US, to guarantee cheap food imports, will be a priority and and the Brexit transition will not be extended as this Government will want to ensure that it has no liabilities from the collapse of the Eurozone and we will get a trade deal as they will be desperate for the £40bn or so they will extract for it.

But the sun will still shine.  Crops will grow. And life will go on regardless, even if things will be a little different for a while.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
8 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

I see the mayor is reintroducing the charge, but it will now be £15 a day, seven days a week. 

Ian I am not allowed to quote but have because if this is true it will cost us £15 to deliver the MIL her weekly shop and she is 400m into the zone 

Or let her starve!

(Ooof, just joking off course)

• Haha 1

The small print.

Reason Kahn has been made to increase all this is because of his useless handling of TFL (I nearly wrote TLF!) and acceding to the unions controlling it. Plus the billions he has wasted on Crossrail, his management has been truly appalling. His annual fare freeze also doesn't help the coffers. The CC and ULEZ was going to be suspended by him for another 3 weeks but he got told to reinstate immediately. He should have reinstated this week to get some money in (except for key workers etc)

The Govt now want to tell him how to do it because he obviously does not have the ability to do himself. Anyway like most London mayor's and MP's they hate the car using public.

I live about 30 mts inside the zone and will have to pay the £15.00 every time I take my car out, I do have a runaround I get residents discount on but not my 2/3 times a week used Lotus.

"Mayor Sadiq Khan accused the Department for Transport (DfT) of “making ordinary Londoners pay the cost for doing the right thing on Covid-19”.

Oh, please. The rest of the UK shouldn't have to pay for Londoners to get to work. No-one pays for me to do so.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

It's a difficult one isn't it - as there's an awful lot of commuters who live outside London and Greater London - who (used) to travel to work in London.

Plus, London brings in a lot of investment to the country that benefits elsewhere.

Not saying other areas shouldn't also receive assistance - but it should also be recognised that London has an a lot of non-London-resident workers 

It would be ace to see party politics put aside and the House of Commons actually be a place for constructive work rather than childish arguments for the sake of arguments.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

49 minutes ago, KAS-118 said:

It's a difficult one isn't it - as there's an awful lot of commuters who live outside London and Greater London - who (used) to travel to work in London.

Plus, London brings in a lot of investment to the country that benefits elsewhere.

Not saying other areas shouldn't also receive assistance - but it should also be recognised that London has an a lot of non-London-resident workers 

That’s certainly true, however commuters chose to work in London, probably because in a majority of cases it pays them a lot more money than they would otherwise earn. In this case, they need to stump up for their own commute, just like the rest of us do. I just don’t think my taxes should be used to subsidise them.

Margate Exotics.

Maybe we can take this to the general forums rather than car section as it seems lien it is a political preferences forum?