Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 JPS project - Page 12 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 JPS project

I bought a pair of the new Dunlop Classics like @Rudi K They're very good, but also very expensive. Though I think they've come down in price from when I bought mine in 2018.

• Like 2

I looked at those David but just don’t use the cars enough to justify something which may well perish under my ownership. My classic car mileage is around 1500 per year due to other commitments with work etc.

As soon as this cars done I’m moving onto my S1 which will take most of my free time for sure meaning the JPS will get very limited use.

Dave :) 

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• 3 weeks later...

A brand new one from SJ, I sent my original to be converted to to 45D4 spec removing the vacuum advance and changing the springs but ended up with a brand new unit (yes with internal seal). I’m still running points but will change to electronic once I have the car set up. I did buy a power spark module but it was defective so removed for the time.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what to do. I've a Lucas 23D fitted which has at some point been converted to a Luminition Magnatronic system. It works fine, but was wondering if I should have it refurbished (I'm not keen on new stuff) in case it's not running at the optimal state, done by the Distributor Doctor, someone in North Yorkshire, or buy from SJ etc.

The distributor in my 1960's car could do with refurbishing as the shaft has a little play. That's still on points, but works fine and is accessible. I'm happy to keep it that way TBH.

If I had the income I'd get a rebuild done on the early one as a test, but I can't see that happening this year.

I've asked on here, but none has come back, but I need to know what signal the Veglia tacho gauge receives. I assume some sort of square wave pulse. One pulse per revolution.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

The Veglia works with either points or the aftermarket Lumenition set-up, as confirmed in a mate's S1.

• Like 1

My old S1 is running lumenition fine as I fitted it over 25 years ago.

I was a little disappointed I couldn’t get my original distributor overhauled to the spec required but Steve assured me these new units are good and what he fits in his restoration builds for customers. I remain on the fence until some miles are put on the old girl but all seems fine so far.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drdoom said:

The Veglia works with either points or the aftermarket Lumenition set-up, as confirmed in a mate's S1.

That wasn't the question though. I need to know what signal the Veglia receives.

I have the same fuel lines (from SJ). You think they're good? I'm new to this style. They seem OK to me.

Though I would have preferred a more muted black and silver approach, in keeping with the age of the car. I didn't have fuel lines in the car I restored, and therefore didn't have old ones to copy. Perhaps next time...

• Like 2

I will be getting my own made on the S1 with less bling although don’t mind them as gives a little colour and match the leads.

By choice they would have been black and gold fittings, quality seems good so time will tell how they perform😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tomcattom said:

Is the rest of the paint apart from the bonnet and pod original?

The car has had some paint in the past and I had the other light pod, both front and rear spoilers and the capping rails painted. I also removed the marker lights and changed the rear to domestic spec.

• Gold FFM

The rest of the paint looks like it's cleaned up really nicely, especially considering it's black paint.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Just good old fashioned T cut, Autoglym and a ceramic coating.

In fairness to make the car pretty much immaculate I would repaint it as there’s a few gel cracks if you look close and marks. It’s a good two footer as they say but I like it like that and makes you less precious over it Tom.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, your wheel chock reminds me of how I coped with the non-function of my Elan handbrake. I used a folding steel item about the size of a hand, could reach out the open door and gather it in after a slight bump in reverse to free it up.

Cheers

• Haha 1

Steve it was just belt and braces, the handbrake is all good but I had an instance many years ago where I left my lotus at the top of the drive and found it at the bottom in the morning, thankfully it missed everything so must have slowly crept 😁

21 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Steve it was just belt and braces, the handbrake is all good but I had an instance many years ago where I left my lotus at the top of the drive and found it at the bottom in the morning, thankfully it missed everything so must have slowly crept 😁

Reminds me of the tale told by a long time Elan owning acquaintance whose car rolled away unnoticed down a slightly graded, paved alley sideswiping a vehicle before coming to rest against a utility pole. This was not long after a total restoration with over $10K in body/paintwork alone. Not his happiest day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1