Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Professor Edward M Winter - RIP - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Professor Edward M Winter - RIP

cweeden

To anyone who knew Edward,

Recently I have bought a few second hand parts from Edward and exchanged a few friendly emails about cars with Lotus being the obvious glue, some chat about his ventures into a Ferrari and a McLaren also crept in.

Last week I agreed to buy a suspension arm from Edward, money was transferred and a parcel arrived on Tuesday as expected, but sadly there was also a note written on the package by his wife Anne which read:

Dear Mr Weeden,

Unfortunately my husband Edward died on Sat 18.7.2020. This was the last parcel he wrapped up before he died.

Anne Winter

Very sad news indeed, I sent a message of condolence to the phone number accompanying the note and his daughter Holly replied to explain that he returned from a run, sat down in his office chair and was found 40 minutes later, already gone. 

Holly asked if I would let his online community know of his passing. It is never easy to hear news like this especially when it is out of the blue and so unexpected. I didn't know Edward well and had never met him but my heart sinks when I write this and think of his family and friends. I am sorry for anyone reading this who knew him better than I did that you learn of his passing like this.

RIP Edward.

-Chris

• Sad 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes, very sad news :(  I've met Edward a couple of times and he was a thoroughly nice chap. Full of life and doing things you would of expected of a younger person, when we last spoke he was working towards getting a pilot's licence. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

oh no, what a shock! 

I had the great pleasure of buying my 1st lotus from Edward (his v8 Esprit)  he maintained that car to such a high standard, it ensured my first foray into lotus ownership was a good and positive one. 

Edward was always extremely welcoming, kind hearted, friendly, polite and very very knowledgeable- a true gentleman, even 9 years after first meeting him, we would exchange occasional emails etc

Thinking of you and your family...  Rest in peace Edward 

I'm shocked.  I've had lots of exchanges with Edward over the years.

RIP friend.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Truly shocked. I first met Ed when I took my Europa's gear linkage to him to refurbish the UJs & we've kept in touch ever since meeting up at the Lotus Drivers club sprints at Wellsbourne, picture of Ed below. Was last in touch with him a few months ago when he decided to sell the Europa to Paul Matty & use the proceeds to gain his private pilots licence. RIP old friend.

090904041156_act04.jpg

Cheers,

John W

On 24/07/2020 at 21:40, steve930 said:

The esprit in 2018

IMG_20200724_213904.jpg

Do you still have it now or otherwise know where it is?

On 24/07/2020 at 12:10, mike_sekinger said:

I knew that I had some images of Edwards V8 rebuild from back in 2010.

It was a three-day ordeal to remove the engine but he looks very pleased with himself in these shots.

Out01_(3).thumb.jpg.47d657d377f4eb0ad7beab0374490ecb.jpg

Out01.thumb.jpg.609c7006dd233171c11188f7e70c9f45.jpg

IMG_4461.thumb.JPG.0fa14bc72a852ef8862798e93a63f21b.JPG

Thank you, I'd not seen these pics. Must have been shortly before he sold it. The engine hoist just went on ebay.

13 hours ago, HollyWinter said:

Do you still have it now or otherwise know where it is?

Hi Holly. 

I sold it last year, the new owner lives in Manchester area. 

Sadly I don't think it's now going to be used as regularly as your father & I used it

I am so sorry to hear this.

I bought a part from him only last month, and mistaking me for another Stuart he Facetimed me to catch up.

Despite never having spoken before, we chatted for perhaps 20 minutes about Lotus ownership and the world in general. It was a very enjoyable conversation and brightened my quarantined day up hugely.

• Haha 1

We now have a date for his funeral: Monday 10 August. We can only have 25 people in attendance and it is heartbreaking that we can't give Dad the funeral he deserves.

However, the service will be live-streamed by the funeral directors and I will provide information for watching it as soon as i have them. Also, his cortege will travel along Abbeydale Road South at around 2.50pm before passing the Hallamshire Squash Club at approx 3pm and his former office at Collegiate Hall at around 3.05pm where those who knew him may pay their respects along the way. Please pass this on to anyone who might like to line the route or add some Lotus engine roars to the procession.

Please contact me if you would like details.
Holly xx