Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
87' HCI radiator fans otter switch location ? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

87' HCI radiator fans otter switch location ?

nanardos

Hi,

My car's radiator fans don't seem to be working as usual.

I have let the car running and heat up to 110 ° but the fans did not start.

I did not go further up in order not to damage the head gasket.

After having checked the related fuses and relays , I now want to check the otter switch but I can't seem to find it at the indicated location (car's RH side near the radiator).

I only found two loose wires (see pic) but no switch they could have ever been connected to.

As the radiators fans used to work before , I wonder whether my car uses an otter switch at all (the two wires being part of a "standard" Esprit harness) or whether this part is located somewhere else ?

Any ideas welcome

PS: At which temperature should the radiator fans engage anyway ?

loose wires.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So no switch in the pipes to the radiator on this side? What happens when you connect the 2 wires? ( Ignition on btw)

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, nanardos said:

As the radiators fans used to work before , I wonder whether my car uses an otter switch at all (the two wires being part of a "standard" Esprit harness) or whether this part is located somewhere else ?

Part number 74 😃

Cheers,

John W

Do you know whether the otter switch is sort of "clipped" around the water pipe (it then could have popped from the pipe) or whether it is actually inserted in it for I don't find any specially shaped pipe as shown on the parts picture on my car.

A079M6200F.jpg

I have just found that the otter switch is located in the engine bay, plugged on the big aluminium water pipe and not easy to reach...

I will test it tomorrow.

I am assuming that this is a special fitting for the late USA HCI Esprit (mine is one of the very latest).

IMG_1953.JPG

• Like 1

Do your car have the Thermal Trip switch fitted under the bonnet? P/N A082M6196F On my  S3 N/A L/C its under the bonnet on the LHS of the "frunk" Mine has a little red button on the top of the little black box which is marked Otter.

I've never had to touch that button but I think the device is supposed to sense if a radiator fan has failed and stops them running until the red button is reset (and presumably you've sorted the problem with the fan). Maybe the problem is around that? 

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

My otter failed. Simple to check. Just join the wires and the fans should come on. If they do, the otter has failed.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

11 hours ago, jonwat said:

I believe almost all cars have 2 Otter switches, one at the front and the other at the rear but only one connected. I can never figure out which is which. Any idea?

• 7 months later...