Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2! - Page 6 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2!

41 minutes ago, JonSE said:

He won’t take on the GRP sun roof delete so I may have to tackle this myself, plus filling numerous holes for the old wing mirrors.

Should the wing mirror holes be ground back and GRP filled?

Surely the S2 wing mirrors are invaluable for reversing and blind spots (which are bad enough). I was once tailed for several miles by the men in blue without noticing – fortunately I was not too far over the speed limit and I think they were mainly curious to have a good look at a JPS …

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The mirrors are long gone, unfortunately. I also ran a previous S2 without them and found it OK. They’d dropped pretty badly and didn’t contribute too much from memory!

As I've remarked in the past it's a shame no one has taken up the manufacture of compact and smart looking electrically operated wing mirrors to suit these cars. Long ago one could purchase Vitaloni Baby Turbo mirrors so equipped and these were standard fitment on the Countach at some point. Rarely seen NOS examples of these are ludicrously pricey.

• Thanks 1

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/ultra-dtm-style-mirrors-pair-ultdm0060/?istCompanyId=a2904180-3a7d-4e56-b876-cf81c9512180&istFeedId=6fbc4b04-fd28-4ce1-8513-835c8f118690&istItemId=wptrrmwwp&istBid=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1tyugLKn7QIVErLtCh1ZCgxLEAQYAiABEgLZj_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I may consider something like this if I find I can’t get on with no mirrors.

I’ve been researching the painting techniques for the body. Every word written is conflicted somewhere else when it comes to GRP!

I’ve a few options ranging from a local friend who will take on the work for me right up to five figure quotes from GRP experts.

Knowing Lotus, they wouldn’t have spent more time or money on this aspect of the car than necessary so I assume the variance is down to the effects that 40 years has had on the body shell in terms of quote range.

I really do not want to be doing this paint again in a few years but nor do I want to pay 5X the going rate for an acceptable well sealed none reactive finish!!

What would those who have gone before suggest to someone in my position?

Can the old prepared surface be “sealed” before new paint to prevent reaction??

Had a good day starting to pull the body / chassis bolts off the car.

Job made easier by five of them being historically absent, maybe from a previous removal of the body. None of the bolts gave much trouble, just a pity my arms aren’t 2 foot longer and I’d have been fine!

Visited screwfix and misjudged their WD40 own brand canister size, but seems to be good stuff.

Certain the battery box has seen an attempt to strengthen it with outer metal lining. It was loosely bonded in with no rivets and the metal sleeve that’s fixed round it won’t allow the assembly to lift out for repair now.

Also signs of stress on the corners where it mounts to the body, which I’ll need to sort when the body is off....

0F37F6C2-C76F-49CC-9FC1-9F45DFAF6FC5.jpeg

660C7D26-4134-42F8-8D36-6E806A6A1784.jpeg

5E76AC33-4EB8-4C3B-B540-8B75B93D74FF.jpeg

71EF0E53-EBBD-4AA9-B5C6-06510DB20432.jpeg

DE790BC9-BA37-49A9-87DF-CD9B2FD0F5E9.jpeg

EDB54733-97C8-456D-9181-D2DD95CBECAF.jpeg

• Like 2

On 08/11/2020 at 09:05, JonSE said:

9BCD7F20-2F46-4EF2-9B75-6FC26D58AD64.jpeg

Hi Jon, just catching up on your project and saw the post about this switch panel. It's a mid to late '80's Range Rover panel of switches likely bought by your PO for spares. hth

Good luck with the build :)

George

• Thanks 1

Think they are ok and useful. Some of the guys here in Singapore have them In their cars. A simple solution to cover the area over and around the carbs

Ad initium

Has anyone fit a towing eye to the front under bin during restoration? 

You could buy a kit for the later cars with a spreader plate to bolt under the front floor.

Where do you attach if you have to tow onto a flat bed with out it?

In the past I’ve had no choice but to go round the lower wishbones or gently tow on backwards from below the gearbox. Joys of using the Esprit as an everyday car for sometime!

2 hours ago, GTK said:

There's nothing at the front of the chassis strong enough to take the stresses of the car being towed. You could mount an eye on a spreader plate to the ARB support frame but I personally wouldn't use one for anything more than a gentle winch onto a recovery truck or trailer. A good recovery guy will have J hooks that can be used on the bottom arms.

As Dave said reverse onto a trailer seems best, not least for trailer nose weight too, being a mid engined car.

Thanks for this, I’ve had reason to need towing in one in the past (I know, shocker), and it felt wrong pulling via the wishbones. Related to this is that the front end is too low for some flat bed recovery trucks (and hi to everyone that saw me on the M1 hard shoulder that time!)

I bought an eye from SJ for the SE with back spreader plate that bolted through the boot floor to spread the load (Lotus accessory from memory).

My thoughts were to introduce a towing eye screw mount somehow right back near the radiator with a 2 ft tow eye I can thread through the grill to give a hard tow point. I’ll see when I get the car stripped.

53 minutes ago, Nelly said:

Really sorry to be so late to the party - going back to the question on page 2 about the front spolier, here is another pic.  Basically it was just masked at the line where the section from the front wing narrows to the point where it flares back out to from the splitter.  To me the front end doesn't have much definition without it:

Photo0640.thumb.jpg.b325656dc59fa57f12299bb101a3fa35.jpg

And here is the pic I got the idea from all those years ago:

picture0160u.jpg.f24a94d2da40d4ff701737927bf4227c.jpg

Thank you for these, exactly what I was looking for!

The S2 on Wolfrace wheels looks good....

Thank you,

I’ve just the engine bay wiring and gear linkages / fuel tanks and brakes to sort now in readiness.

Regards the hand brake cables - I’m a novice here - how do I release them please from the callipers?

Also the clutch hose looks like the new recent braided replacement, reuse this or replace as matter of course? (Thinking with car sat if it’s degraded etc...)

Thanks,

Jon.

The cables are simple. They just unhook from the calipers. I suspect since you're disassembling the complete car that you need to unfasten the handbrake mechanism within the inner driver's sill to provide some slack. It's easy enough.

As for the braided clutch cable I'm not sure. If it is the new variety then I'm sure you could clean it up, check it over, and refit if OK when you come to build the chassis back up. I'm not sure how long they last, but I suspect years.

Thanks for the replies, I suspect the car was an MOT failure before storage as the handbrake cables and balance mechanism appear very new and shiny to me, so expect they were replaced.

Brakes are  partially seized though at front (I think) so have soaked in penetrating fluid in advance of strip down.....

The last owner did mention something about seizing but we managed to shove the car reluctantly onto the trailer. It is heavier than I remember to pull / push when it’s just me....

9B5CFF8E-0D4C-4074-833C-9E9B0D3D8BDE.jpeg

70065121-6CCD-48A5-97DD-D6099F45D6E4.jpeg

74259133-8DA5-4B3C-8E24-AEA9E49450C3.jpeg

• Like 1

Lightweight!

I'd expect more from a t'Yarkshireman.

I think you'll find your rear brake calipers and cables will be fine by the looks of them. Mine had also been replaced at some point, even though the car had been paid up they worked fine after a spruce up.

Internal parts are rare these days so best take care of them. I'll get my sets refurbished at some point when cash allows.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Rudi K said:

When the brakes are behaving you should be able to push the S2 along one handed!

@Rudi K you must have bigger arms than even Ian Botham! But yes, at 1,000kg it's not a heavy car by any means.