Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fitting an exige in a single garage - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fitting an exige in a single garage

DrBru

Slightly random question....So we have found a house which is pretty much our dream house in london with a single garage...Its a Victorian house so that means a small garage which is only 2.68m wide. I know the width of the car will mean that the car itself will fit but am I going to be able to open the door once in and get out in what is going to be a very tight squeeze anyway!?

If the answer is no ill have to decide what is more important, a house with a bigger garage or a cup 430 as Im not prepared to keep something like this on my driveway???

I don’t think the Exige is any wider than an Elise?

My garage is 2.6m wide and the Elise goes in no problem. Getting in and out is tight, but not a major problem, lowering the drivers window is a big help. Of course it also depends on how big and agile you are. I’m 6ft but still quite bendy and skinny!

We found it incredibly rare to get a "proper" sized garage - like the big double with a single door. 9 times out 10 it was a double garage with 2 small doors, if you even got one, and no other off road parking. In the end we ended up with a single garage, converted into a work shop and storage, but the front garden takes 5 cars with no hassle, 6 if they're smaller and you fancy trapping eachother in!

I must say location is important, down south it's incredibly expensive for a shoebox of a house. 

I keep my 380 in a single garage. 
I found online some garage wall liner foam that is sticky backed - I just stuck this on the brick in possibly vulnerable areas- where the door opens etc. Works well.

Actually I find it quite a helpful marker to know how far into the garage I am and when to stop reversing.

Can’t remember what the specific product was or where from - but Google is your friend.

• Gold FFM

For my Elise, I have some carpet on the wall by the drivers door and a tennis ball hanging from the ceiling that just brushes my windscreen when I am far enough in. 

Opening the drivers window really helps if I have parked too tight. I am 6'2", still bendy and aspire to skinny!

My garage is just under 2.7m at it's widest and my exige S2 fits fine. Not sure if an s3 is much widerPXL_20201117_192556751.thumb.jpg.88b63e7b665b53ffbb74d478ad9f7bf7.jpg

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

The V6 Exige is definitely a couple of inches wider than an Elise but there is something else to consider - the sills are wider on the V6 so you need to stick your foot out a bit further when you get out, meaning that it's a bit more difficult to squeeze through a partly open door. I know all this because in the same garage I've had - Elise 111R, then Exige V6, now Elise 250 Cup. The Exige V6 was definitely the most difficult to get in/out of when parked close to the wall.

Hopefully you will do ok though  :thumbup:

Edited by duncx

5 hours ago, DrBru said:

how you mean? the width is 2.3m with one door open?

The garage entrance doors

I had an Elise 111r which I had to squeeze through 1900mm wide doors (Elise width with mirrors is 1850) so it was tight 🥴 the garage is 2500 but position of the door meant I only had effectively 2300 . Was a squeeze but manageable😁 gonna nock the garage down to get wider doors so I can get an exige 410 in in the new year. Lots easier taking the roof of to get out.

Modern garage doors are too narrow and make it difficult to get the car over to one side which you need to do to be able to open the door enough to easily get out

My garage is 2.5m wide and I can get in fine, but as others have said lowering the window makes things easier. I can't get that close to the wall either because the garage door is so tight so I think you might be fine. I am 6ft and also still quite bendy and skinny, and you have an extra 18cm 👌😉. I will try and upload a photo so you can see.

IMG_20201114_112820_copy_1200x1600.thumb.jpg.3e59355dcbc80f23ca89416fa809b7fb.jpg

My single garage door was a touch under 2m wide ( now fitted a roller garage door so have a slightly wider opening since I sold the Exige) and my old Exige fitted in fine although has to be careful

image.thumb.jpeg.3fd5ef690f0215a6d4676ad107fcfdbc.jpeg

fitted some carpet on the wall to make sure i didn’t scratch the door when climbing out though 

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Same here, 2.5m wide, I get the car very close to the left side, and I can actually get in and out without any protection on the driver side, I mean I should but I never had a problem, also with 2.5m you can still walk next to the car or you know move stuff aside it ... so go for it ! 

• Like 1