Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Thinking of moving to an Evora - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Thinking of moving to an Evora

cloud

Hi all,

I've owned a few lotus's over the years, mainly Elises and Exiges. Now as the wife and I are expecting our first child it seems like a no brainer to get an Evora.. I'll admit I've never driven one or even sat in one, so would any honest input would be great. Especially the bad!

Now while the wife has a Q5 which is fine for pretty much most journeys, she only really drives when I'm not around or when I've been drinking, so I am thinking I could purchase an Evora and use it has my daily driver, but also when going out with the wife/child. 

Firstly, to do this successfully it needs to be reliable, I cannot be doing with waiting for the AA or a replacement part for months from Lotus. It needs to just work as they say.

Secondly, how easy can you get a child seat in the back with the wife also in the front?

Thirdly, I'm used to fairly good infotainment but I assume it isnt too hard to replace the stereo with one that does apple carplay?

I prefer the styling of the S1 Evora, both the exterior and interior compared to the 400 but I'm sure the 400 has many positives over the earlier car and I'd be interested to hear them. Honestly I prefer the Evora GT410 Sport styling over the 400 but at that price I'd probably pick something else as the Evora is a bit too dated for me to part with such cash. 

The gear shift (and clutch) has taken an absolute pasting online so I am also considering the auto options.

Thanks in advance your help.

Edited by cloud

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, cloud said:

Hi all,

I've owned a few lotus's over the years, mainly Elises and Exiges. Now as the wife and I are expecting our first child it seems like a no brainer to get an Evora.. I'll admit I've never driven one or even sat in one, so would any honest input would be great. Especially the bad!

Now while the wife has a Q5 which is fine for pretty much most journeys, she only really drives when I'm not around or when I've been drinking, so I am thinking I could purchase an Evora and use it has my daily driver, but also when going out with the wife/child. 

Firstly, to do this successfully it needs to be reliable, I cannot be doing with waiting for the AA or a replacement part for months from Lotus. It needs to just work as they say.

Secondly, how easy can you get a child seat in the back with the wife also in the front?

Thirdly, I'm used to fairly good infotainment but I assume it isnt too hard to replace the stereo with one that does apple carplay?

I prefer the styling of the S1 Evora, both the exterior and interior compared to the 400 but I'm sure the 400 has many positives over the earlier car and I'd be interested to hear them. Honestly I prefer the Evora GT410 Sport styling over the 400 but at that price I'd probably pick something else as the Evora is a bit too dated for me to part with such cash. 

The gear shift (and clutch) has taken an absolute pasting online so I am also considering the auto options.

Thanks in advance your help.

Like you I have many lotus cars Elise and Exige and a Evora S1 stock NA and now the latest 410 GTsport. The early versions of the Evora get and I don’t no why unfair criticism, my NA was fantastic, gear change as good as my 2020 410. My 2010 na did have a pioneer stereo upgrade with Apple car play, just as good as the latest car head unit if not better. Depending what previous lotus you have had you might find a NA underpowered because no matter what people say it is. That saying it can be a great daily.

• Thanks 1

I used to have an Exige S, and now have just purchased an Evora N/A. The Evora for me, is fast enough to be honest, and sounds fantastic. Mines a daily driver, the N/A does get better MPG, and cheaper tax too. 

Reliability wise, it's been a bit annoying as a start, (windows failing the day after  I bought it) I have to keep on reminding my self its an hand built 11 year old car with 68000 miles!  The car seems generally very rattle free though! And my gearbox action is lovely. They really are an experience to drive, and that suspension is magic! It is an event to drive, and one that everyone else seems to like too. 

Our little one is 18 months old now, and is a front facing, that fits OK in the back, the front seat is quite far forward though, we did manage to get a baby carrier, and some other things in the boot too. I'm sure I've read of people getting a rear facing seat in the back. 

Edited by jamesbilluk
  • Like 2

• Gold FFM

Sadly @C8RKH when folks are doing research all they find is bad news - oh and the missing cup holder issue.

I now know why I hate selling some cars - as answering some becomes a real chore. I’ll advertise mine in the new year properly - or punt it into a mates garage for him to sell. But at £25k with full history and 20k on the clock I’m really not sure what folks worry about. 

• Like 1

Only here once

3 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

I’m really not sure what folks worry about

The thing that makes me laugh Barry is that it is often "owners" or "Lotus fans" that are talking the cars down and the problems up!  As you say, you buy a 170mph, 0-60 in under 5 secs car, 8-10 years old with 20-40k miles on the clock for £25-30k in great condition and all many people want to do is point of the negatives!  Barmy indeed.

For the performance on offer the Evora must be one of the bargains of the century out there and even if you factor in one clutch change in your ownership period it will still be much less to maintain than other "exotics" with similar performance.

At £25k with 20k on the clock I might bloody well buy it off you! Absolute bargain. Pity it has those bloody biohazard seats in the back  :)

• Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

The thing that makes me laugh Barry is that it is often "owners" or "Lotus fans" that are talking the cars down and the problems up!  As you say, you buy a 170mph, 0-60 in under 5 secs car, 8-10 years old with 20-40k miles on the clock for £25-30k in great condition and all many people want to do is point of the negatives!  Barmy indeed.

For the performance on offer the Evora must be one of the bargains of the century out there and even if you factor in one clutch change in your ownership period it will still be much less to maintain than other "exotics" with similar performance.

At £25k with 20k on the clock I might bloody well buy it off you! Absolute bargain. Pity it has those bloody biohazard seats in the back  :)

Seems a shame with quite a few car brands, various issues being blown out of proportion. My last car (bmw i8) has a very small percentage of  issues that can happen, but is all you read about on the Facebook group, and my brother, who has a 996, IMS bearings are always mentioned, but also rare. 

I'm quite pleased its just the windows on mine that are having a moment! 

• Like 2

For once you cannot blame the BMW driver for queue jumping as the guy with the yellow flag clearly waved him on. Wonder if the organisers insurance had to pay?

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Thanks chaps.

If an old S isn't going to be reliable I'll get a newer one, a daily for me needs to be reliable. If an Evora can't do that then I'll get a 911 instead. Which would be a shame.

I strongly disagree with the ham fisted gear change comment, none of my lotuses have ever had what I would call a great gear change. They get worse when driving hard in my experience, maybe the Evora change is much better than the V6 Exige's change, I hope it is.

Happy to try an NA, perhaps I wouldn't need an S. I do have a mclaren if I want scary acceleration.

Problems do get blown out of proportion online, so good to hear the clutch issues are sorted.

• Gold FFM

All evoras are reliable - more so than any pork. 
Gear change wise - the only poor change I’ve ever found in a lotus was on my esprit when the linkage was knackered. Maybe I’m just used to driving old triumphs - the lotus gear changes are like a rifle bolt and very precise.

worth bearing in mind the tax brackets for ved. The NA is cheap as is the 400 series cars - the S as I recall is over £500 a year

• Thanks 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Not that you can fit a decent brew travel mug in there ain’t 😎

comeon - don’t try and gloss over the biggest failing of all 😬

Only here once

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

worth bearing in mind the tax brackets for ved. The NA is cheap as is the 400 series cars - the S as I recall is over £500 a year

My S was £555, the gt430 is £475  

19 minutes ago, cloud said:

I can't think of a single car other than the Evora that has 4 seats and is mid engined.

Ferrari made a couple - 308 GT4 & Mondial. 

But they are both a bit older than an Evora. The obvious ‘4 seats with the engine in the back’ equivalent is a Beetle. AKA 911. 

• Like 1