Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2021 project - Page 4 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

2021 project

13 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

wife's first car was a 12/50 2 tone blue

I do remember changing the sills, they were just bolt on, than a bit of spray paint. The thing I recall is some pain when kneeling on my parents gravel drive doing it.

Thanks for the explanation about construction. That must have been what he did then.

My point about the MOT back then reminded me of my first car. It was a well preserved 12 year old 21,000 mile Hillman Imp. I remember taking it for its MOT and watched in horror as the tester started whacking the sills with a screwdriver handle. Sure enough he punched a screwdriver handle size hole in one of them, where it was clearly rusting from the inside out. I was furious and demanded that I take the car away there and then. I didn’t pay and didn’t even give him the pleasure of issuing a Fail.

When I got home, I got my Dad’s well-used tub of Isopon P38 filler and did the necessary. A quick blast of paint from a rattle can and it was good to go for an MOT at a more friendly test station, where it passed without comment.

I did get new sills and wheel arches welded on subsequently though, so it was good for a few more years. In fact I’ve just checked the DVLA website and it’s still around albeit on SORN since 2017.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

i have an issue which has been inherited from the PO. The clutch is without question not fully engaging as selecting 1st or reverse you are met with a grinding. Driving out is fine.

hydraulics bled - all new - movement at slave is good. Clutch is new and the gearbox looks fully rebuilt. No excessive play in the pedal linkages. The hydraulics simply run out of travel.

The control arm into the gearbox flops around a lot - there’s just too much travel before the bearing mates with the seat on the pressure plate. I’ve pulled the gearbox out this morning -looking at rimmers is supposed to be a GRB206. The bearing I have is 16mm there abouts. So I need to make some enquiries 

4B207AB9-EC31-4AEE-9B2C-81A57A3E73D7.jpeg.8fc56f444d54955b38469649f087dc12.jpegE3E82E24-EA77-4250-BAB5-8FAE5017A7BF.jpeg.b849a73303d94367ae561b517269ad38.jpegD7399EFD-9526-4A4C-8D6F-51A8CDC837D9.jpeg.1398d378a60958e8d2bb2d4a275ecaed.jpeg0014291B-B27F-4F48-8623-D0D1F463179A.jpeg.1c96e24f001da5ce3490882b29f4628c.jpeg

Only here once

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

So I’ve shimmed the bearing off the carrier by 3mm and shimmed the pivot bush out a couple of mm. Travel now looks like it should be good. 
Me thinks I’ll just rip off the brand new clucth just to have a looksee. Glad I did - missing the pilot spigot bush out the end of the crankshaft 🙄. The garage professional that did this car needs a firm kick in the plums.

job stopped again pending parts.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

All back together tonight - shimmed bearing - shimmed pivot bush - missing spigot bearing fitted

I now have a usable clutch 👍

Only here once

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

So there’s some grot in the bottom of both doors - the paints also very dull, worn through in places and showing a key down the side mark on both sides. Nobby is on standby for a paint job on her now.

Today was hit the doors with the flap disc on the grinder day to see how bad they are. Very heavily applied with filler - which always seems to bubble far worse than it actually is. An hour or so of grinding and dust making and I can now see the task to be tackled.392F3F2E-434B-4687-80DE-77F42F4C9E95.thumb.jpeg.18de513f304ec3d14ab8f1ded1642b79.jpegCB05A5A3-7C36-41B5-A349-C1E7F961A520.thumb.jpeg.89e50ffaaa98001a197345d56eb3aeb5.jpegE4E4A2EB-5ABD-407C-9A82-C43F90DAD516.thumb.jpeg.6c1a51bd1fe573744a9255ba64d1c744.jpeg

sections will be cut out and new metal grafted in. Then it’s drill out a load of rivets to remove all the chrome work. 
The driver side 1/4 light window was fouling badly on the windscreen bulkhead section when shutting the door. It was as simple as loosen all the mountain bolts and reshim the 1/4 light window away from the front screen.

Looks like I’ve found myself some evenings in the garage to prep her up.

Only here once

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Felt somewhat nervous driving her down to Nobbys farm this afternoon - no trim, windscreen, lights, boot lid etc all rubbed down ready for a lick of primer. She’s now tucked up in the spray booth awaiting some action later in the week.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

It’s actually conifer green - blame the crappy camera, lighting and user.

just been upto the farm and driven her back home. As predicted as soon as I was 10ft out the garage the rain started.

A6F69460-5ABC-4AC0-8009-6FF90E975492.thumb.jpeg.46a8287f38d4041ddcf52829471692ac.jpeg484A46DA-6BBF-4BA8-86FD-4C662D8A1D4F.thumb.jpeg.50d72246bc3c12706d9e2cb2d33f3281.jpeg

shes now tucked up at home and dried off

90005E2F-5539-49B2-A8DE-6716EC27930A.thumb.jpeg.9d1ea32d81c0c8a8d89fcdd0216eca79.jpeg

a few nights of fettling and adding things like lights etc.

• Like 2

Only here once

This ones getting a lot more work than the spitfires. Is this one a keeper?

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• Gold FFM

I regretted selling the last one of these I had - in 2016 iirc - I had to get rid to fund my first esprit purchase.  Life’s changed a lot for me since then. This one is being done to be a keeper -  who knows if she will remain long term since I’ve another change in life looming - but the intention is this and the esprit will remain as my classics.

Only here once

Don't blame you.... however if you change your mind gimme a shout.

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• 11 months later...
  • Gold FFM

So 2023 is off to a flying start. Danny’s flipped car no3 today and he’s buzzing.

yesterday - I’ve done a deal on another spitfire that I’ll collect from long term storage on the weekend 😁

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Spitfire is sat on the patio - awaiting a carb link so I can get her running. I’ve whacked it up for sale quickly as I’ve just agreed on another project which I think will be another forever car to join the lemon.

• Like 1

Only here once

I'm a bit jealous of your and Danny's ability to flip cars so quickly... I have a few I want gone (the Merc SLC especially) and others (like the TVR) I just don't get round to...

But parts for the Elan should be delivered today so I'm gonna make a push to get that one running by the weekend. After I get the Freelander for a customer finished...

Can't wait to see your next project!

Filip

• Thanks 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I can think of at least two British he would like.

Cars, I'm talking cars! 😉

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.