Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 203 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

On 02/02/2022 at 16:53, Bibs said:

https://sites.krieger.jhu.edu/iae/files/2022/01/A-Literature-Review-and-Meta-Analysis-of-the-Effects-of-Lockdowns-on-COVID-19-Mortality.pdf

Lockdowns reduced deaths by 0.2%!

While this meta-analysis concludes that lockdowns have had little to no public health effects, they have imposed enormous economic and social costs where they have been adopted. In consequence, lockdown policies are ill-founded and should be rejected as a pandemic policy instrument.

OMG!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

That is exactly what I thought. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

1 hour ago, sailorbob said:

Quote: 'While this meta-analysis concludes that lockdowns have had little to no public health effects, they have imposed enormous economic and social costs where they have been adopted. In consequence, lockdown policies are ill-founded and should be rejected as a pandemic policy instrument.'

After I read those two sentences I did not bother with the rest of it. Whilst a lockdown may only have a slight effect on the Covid-19 mortality rate (and I am dubious about that claim) the purpose of a lockdown is to reduce the spread on infection. This thereby lessens the chances of the health care system being overwhelmed which, in turn, reduces the Covid-19 mortality rate. The lockdown also allowed time for the vaccines to be developed.

got all me jobs done round the house too !!! 😃

1 hour ago, march said:

Yes - it's a shame the opposition has been so catastrophically ineffective and inept. An effective opposition would have forced the government to up it's game.

You do know that Labour is now way ahead in the opinion polls despite being so inept? A General Election held today could well see a Labour majority government.

Latest polling data.

Labour 40%. Conservatives 33%

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-31-january-2022/

Also YouGov poll from last month:

Labour 40%. Conservatives 29%.

Starmer far ahead in “best Prime Minister” poll too with 35% to Boris’ 22%.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/01/14/voting-intention-con-29-lab-40-12-13-jan

1 minute ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

You do know that Labour is now way ahead in the opinion polls despite being so inept?

Yes - It just shows how bad the Conservatives are at the moment. I have voted Conservative for many years but have recently being weighing up the options of other political parties. I would even think about Labour if it was not for the Corbynites still lurking in the background and the Deputy Labour Leader.

• Like 1

Do opinions really show the reality though as to how people would vote at a GE, or are they just a protest type of opinion.

Didn’t the opinion polls previously have Comrade Corbyn in the lead before the last GE?

When you looked at the opposition front bench before the last GE no one could work out how on Earth such a tribe could govern and unfortunately it’s no different today!

Well there is no way in hell I will vote Conservative in any form of election whilst BJ and his cronies are in charge so on a personal basis it is reality. Whether I vote for someone else is another matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OMG, now Evil Kranky wants to cut the bottom off of classroom doors to aid airflow.

So we are spending £Billions on rectifying building defects, including replacing faulty or inadequate fire doors and the stupid woman wants to cut the bottom off of them in schools.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

23 hours ago, Colin P said:

OMG, now Evil Kranky wants to cut the bottom off of classroom doors to aid airflow.

So we are spending £Billions on rectifying building defects, including replacing faulty or inadequate fire doors and the stupid woman wants to cut the bottom off of them in schools.

Seems an odd thing to do. Doors have this feature whereby you can open them slightly and it creates a small gap down the side that allows a air through. The next thing will be complaints about drafts that need 25,000 doors to be replaced ...

• Haha 2

Certainly would not get a passive house certificate  if these were in your house..

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
23 hours ago, Colin P said:

Let’s hope the stupid bitch considers the fire risk assessments.

Only here once

Fire doors should not have a 10 mm gap; are you thinking of Part F of the Building Regulations Approved Documents for ventilation?

BS 8214 (Timber-based fire door assemblies – Code of Practice) defers to the fire doorset manufacturer for the threshold gap size but if the door requires smoke seals then it recommends that the threshold gap should be preferably fitted with a threshold seal giving a leakage rate not exceeding 3 m3/h per metre at a pressure 25 Pa or, if that is not possible, a gap of less than 3mm in height. BS 9999 (Code of practice for fire safety in the design, management and use of buildings) has the same requirements for smoke seals.

Evidence for a mouse origin of the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant - PubMed (nih.gov)

Interesting paper on the origin of 'omicron'. There has been a bit of a 'missing link' type thing going on with 'omicron' because of the large deviation away from known strains of COVID, and that it is not directly related to 'delta'. This was postulated as either a period of time in an animal host or in a human with HIV. It seems mice are likely to to be the wildlife host.

Edited by gregs24

But all we need is another variant that is worse (it may not be likely as it seems such viruses usually get milder from what I have seen)  for the situation to go back to masks/isolation/lockdowns...... 

But for now it is good to look forward to.

On 07/02/2022 at 10:37, sailorbob said:

Fire doors should not have a 10 mm gap; are you thinking of Part F of the Building Regulations Approved Documents for ventilation?

BS 8214 (Timber-based fire door assemblies – Code of Practice) defers to the fire doorset manufacturer for the threshold gap size but if the door requires smoke seals then it recommends that the threshold gap should be preferably fitted with a threshold seal giving a leakage rate not exceeding 3 m3/h per metre at a pressure 25 Pa or, if that is not possible, a gap of less than 3mm in height. BS 9999 (Code of practice for fire safety in the design, management and use of buildings) has the same requirements for smoke seals.

Only if it has smoke seals. Most doors only have intumescent seals.

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

As said before, the threshold gap is down to fire doorset manufacturer to specify and unsurprisingly this varies according to the manufacturer. e.g Forza Doors specify 6 mm, Leaderflush Shapland specify 10 mm for fire doors of less than 90 minutes and 5 mm for 90 and 120 minute fire rated doorsets.

Incidentally the 2008 edition of BS 8214 recommended a maximum 6 mm gap before it was superseded by the 2016 edition.