Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 184 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

3 hours ago, RobinB5 said:

@gregs24 you seem to know your onions. Omicron might be a a milder, albeit more transmissible, variant. Is this a natural evolution of a virus? Is this its natural end game, where it can survive most effectively? 

To some extent yes. Mutations occur frequently and naturally as a result of poor quality control in the reproductive process if you want to call it that. Each mutation changes the virus properties slightly, some significant, some insignificant. In the vast majority of cases the mutation actually renders the virus useless, but some allow the virus to take advantage of the current environment. So for example 'omicron' has a significant advantage over 'delta' in transmissibility and you can see how quickly that has meant that 'omicron' has spread. A change of virulence can also be significant where for example the virus may become far more serious and kill people really quickly, although that may be a disadvantage to virus survival because people die too quickly to pass it on. It may be that a strain will come along that is better at infecting people that have had 'beta' but not 'delta' and so may spread more effectively in a country that had a lot of 'beta' like SA but not a country that had a lot of 'delta'

In reality the changes tend to be small and in most cases confer no advantage over another strain. Certainly 'omicron' being more transmissible and potentially less virulent is a good thing as it will overwhelm most other strains. However a more virulent sub strain of 'omicron' would not be a good thing.

• Thanks 1

The percentage positivity on PCR tests seems to be rising quite quickly now, especially in London. This indicates that more positive cases are being missed on daily data figures, despite greater testing numbers. This means that the positive results reported are a smaller percentage of the actual total positive cases in the country, as in cases are getting higher faster than the figures suggest. This makes complete sense where case increases are outstripping testing. It should also be noted the short period of difficulty getting LFT's and also the difficulty getting PCR tests last week for some people will impact this.

The COVID Infection Survey which tests random people (as in doesn't require symptoms or any other reason to test) will soon reflect this but currently only goes up to the 11th December. This is a very good way to determine how many cases are actually going on in the community (symptomatic or otherwise) but has a slight delay compared to daily testing data through Track and Trace.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Survey, UK - Office for National Statistics

Omicron: Rising numbers of NHS staff off work because of Covid

The number of NHS staff off-work because of Covid is rising across England, official data shows.

Nearly 19,000 NHS staff were absent for Covid-related reasons on 19 December - up 54% on the previous week.

Health leaders say the NHS is under significant pressure, despite early studies suggesting the Omicron variant may cause a milder illness than Delta.

Self-isolation and self-certification of sickness up to 28 days may be a contributing factor. 

That said, the NHS employs 1.4m people so that's still only just over 1% of staff so I'm not sure if that really is 'significant pressure' in the big scheme of things.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

2 hours ago, Bibs said:

so that's still only just over 1% of staff so I'm not sure if that really is 'significant pressure' in the big scheme of things.

Or looking at it another way, still only 1/3rd of "Normal" absence levels:

The number of staff days lost to Covid across the NHS in England hit 124,855 last week, a 38% jump on the 90,277 seen the week before, according to the latest “winter sitreps” data published by NHS England.

The total number of staff absences for any medical reason – such as a cold, flu or mental health problem – also increased, though less steeply, from 416,995 to 457,135, a rise of 10%.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• Gold FFM
40 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

We get bombarded with the same political BS every day re the NHS:

1. Under pressure

2. Under funded

3. Over worked

4. Under paid

Hang on….. isn’t that teachers?

Only here once

Lol. I'll not bite as that would be off topic :shock:. But I think it is also bin people. Local Authority Planners etc. Indeed, I think at some point every Public Sector Profession /  role seems to shout the same at some point.

• Haha 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

NHS budget this year, £176,500,000,000. 

Underfunded?! :lol:

https://www.nationalhealthexecutive.com/articles/nhs-budget-2021

£2.1bn of that on IT inc faster broadband?! Have they not heard of EE, you can get unlimited data for £50 a month!?! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

6 minutes ago, Bibs said:

£2.1bn of that on IT

Wife used to work for NHS, son still does, the amount wasted on IT is incredible. Projects started to computerise records etc, started, scrapped and again.....A bit like most government IT projects always under estimated, cost loads more and takes much longer. And may never work as intended.

@Bibs - we have a choice, we cannot continue to just blindly throw more and money at the NHS, or, we look to change, to improve, to modernise, etc.  However, we can only do that with the support of the NHS to want to change and embrace the new etc.  Unfortunately, I do not trust the NHS, or the Politicians, or the Trade Unions, to embrace the change required in the spirit required. Too many ego's and vested interests at play.

I'd happily pay more to have a better NHS, but I begrudge just throwing a bottomless pit of money at the problem.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
21 minutes ago, thebartman said:

Being of a certain age - I really do not fully understand IVF and gender re-assignment on the basis of free at point of service for everyone.

Careful - you’ll melt the snowflakes 

• Haha 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

If the current lockdown rumblings continue - the I think I’m gonna ask the Doctor for a glorious pair of silicon breast implants to keep me amused following the obliteration of mankind from Covid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM
6 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

My understanding was that it was created to provide a universal comprehensive medical service and free benefits to all those in need, to help to beat want, disease, ignorance, squalor and idleness!

Correct

6 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

So maybe we should go back to basics and focus on "WHAT" needs to be included to provide a free comprehensive medical service for all those in need.  

A little more articulate - but ain't that wot I said? 

4 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

If the current lockdown rumblings continue - the I think I’m gonna ask the Doctor for a glorious pair of silicon breast implants to keep me amused following the obliteration of mankind from Covid.

I've already sourced mine elsewhere - not idle, and certainly not squalid - and net zero carbon for the NHS/UK, and VAT @20%  to further contribute ....  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thebartman said:

A little more articulate - but ain't that wot I said?

Lol, I guess so.  I do agree with you. 

The small print.

• Gold FFM
39 minutes ago, thebartman said:

gender re-assignment on the basis of free at point of service for everyone

Can I transfer my entitlement to @C8RKH??

• Haha 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM
14 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

My understanding was that it was created to provide a universal comprehensive medical service and free benefits to all those in need, to help to beat want, disease, ignorance, squalor and idleness!

medical
/ˈmɛdɪk(ə)l/
adjective
  1. relating to the science or practice of medicine.
    "a medical centre"
noun
  1. an examination to assess a person's state of physical health or fitness.
    "they have medicals before they're sent overseas"

Also,
    medicine
    /ˈmɛds(ə)n,ˈmɛdɪsɪn/
    noun
    noun: medicine; plural noun: medicines
    1. 1.
      the science or practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease (in technical use often taken to exclude surgery).
      "he made distinguished contributions to pathology and medicine"

2. 2.
      a drug or other preparation for the treatment or prevention of disease.
      "give her some medicine"

3. 3.
      (especially among some North American Indian peoples) a spell, charm, or fetish believed to have healing, protective, or other power.
      "Fleur was murdering him by use of bad medicine"

• Gold FFM
33 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Woah hang on - leave those poor unemployed job seekers alone - it’s not their fault they can’t get a job - blame the foreig……..ahh 🤪

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Anyone really wondering about some governments response to Covid - then have a squizz at this

https://www.france24.com/en/video/20211221-covid-19-in-sweden-a-vaccine-passport-on-a-microchip-implant

just getting ID cards through Parliament was a nightmare - but now it would seem many are calling for the state sponsorship of coercive behaviour that would actually be illegal and criminal in a relationship like a marriage. 

Only here once

5 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

Wife used to work for NHS, son still does, the amount wasted on IT is incredible. Projects started to computerise records etc, started, scrapped and again.....A bit like most government IT projects always under estimated, cost loads more and takes much longer. And may never work as intended.

Don’t get me started on the quality of NHS IT “professionals”

18 years ago, when I started working for a national Ports Group, the CEO recruited a group IT manager from the NHS who he said would be ideal to specify and develop a group wide IT operating system.

The new IT manager then recruited some of his NHS mates to help.  To say that everything both he and his mates touched was a total disaster is an understatement. They couldn’t even get the security of the then current systems right.

3 years of crappy development of systems followed until the CEO finally listened and realised his big mistake. 

• Like 2

Watching one of those medical programmes (24hrs in A&E etc) and the nurses had a problem with the computer. So they called IT and lo and behold - 3 people turned up. Two stood around watching while 1 tried to sort the problem. No wonder the IT budget is high if they send 3 people to do 1 person's job!

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

2 hours ago, oneshot said:

3 people to do 1 person's job!

1 to do the work, 1 to complete the timesheets for charging,

and a expensive consultant to advise on how it should not be done.