Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Soft top conversion - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Soft top conversion

Hi, 

I'm about to start the search for a v6 s and would ideally like a soft top for that open top motoring experience. However, like most no doubt, prefer the look of the coupe with spoiler etc.

I've seen quite a few for sale previously that have had a soft top conversion and if bought a coupe I would want to get the conversion done. However, have a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone noticed any adverse affects of running a coupe/hard top car with the soft top on? Does it drive any different on the road?

2. How about insurance, my guess is this would class as modification. How have people found the impact on insurance? 

3. Read somewhere that might need to get the v5 changed, is this true?

Many thanks 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Some insurance companies demand to know options not just mods, such as if a car came with certain wheels as standard but you could choose to have others , some insurers demand to know that level of detail.

3 minutes ago, andydclements said:

2 Some insurance companies demand to know options not just mods, such as if a car came with certain wheels as standard but you could choose to have others , some insurers demand to know that level of detail.

Never come across that, so my bad.

Although I remember a chap on here declared he changed from summer to winter tyres (or winter to summer) and got royally screwed by insurance 🤷‍♂️

I have had the summer/winter tyre debate with an insurer before now, they soon gave up when I argued that they were financially incentivising me to endanger myself, passengers and other road users, as well as increasing their insured risk.  To be fair, the underwriter was 100% in agreement, it was their system that needed coerced into playing sensibly.

I strongly advise declaring anything that could cause an issue should the worst happen, but if they start getting silly, then look for an insurer who is prepared to listen and be sensible.

22 hours ago, TonyKL said:

Mine was done by the dealer when I bought my car brand new.

The hard top is removable and the roadster came with a soft top.  

Ah ok, this was something I was wondering. So the hard top roof on a coupe V6s is designed to be removable? This then would make a difference to the insurance issue as worry that by saying it has had a conversion would scare insurers off or if didn't tell them it would then be grounds to not pay out.

There is no difference in the body/shell/chassis for a model that is sold a coupe vs roadster. The roof does nothing for the structure on these, so it makes no difference if you use a soft top, a hard top, or nothing at all. The only differences is the mounting which fitting a softtop to a "coupe" requires a couple of holes drilling for the middle supports.

As said, it isn't a conversion, its an option

39 minutes ago, VRC said:

So the hard top roof on a coupe V6s is designed to be removable? 

The hard top design is the same on the Exige as the Elise and VX220.  Even the S2 Exige had a removable roof.  The only thing to question is that the roadster variant of the Exige was speed limited to around 150mph - this might be due to the strength of the soft top?

19 minutes ago, TonyKL said:

.... The only thing to question is that the roadster variant of the Exige was speed limited to around 150mph - this might be due to the strength of the soft top?

It was due to wind turbulence. After 150mph without the hardtop, and spoilers that the coupe has the car would supposedly become unstable. Can't see too many people doing 150mph that often though, so need to worry about that 😆

Maybe it's in my head but it seems logic : I feel the car stability is degrading above 160 km/h without the hard-top, as if the rear was floating a little bit sometimes (mine is a sport 380 with original aerodynamic parts). Not scary, but noticeable compared to lower speeds.