Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rear Upper Wishbone Cracks - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear Upper Wishbone Cracks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 1 month later...

I just received a pair in the US from a pre-production batch. They look very well constructed, and with all replaceable bushings. Kudos to Gregor over at RRR for the quick turn-around time. 

For future reference, the two bolts that hold the end bushing on should be torqued to 45 nm per RRR. 

image.jpeg.2d153efe0134ec098b5990b5ced2598b.jpeg

PXL_20230518_213328438.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230518_213337970.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230518_213428951.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Hair line crack in each of mine found today (2015 S SR, 47k miles, no track or curbing etc.). Not visible to the naked eye but my mechanic knew to check and once they were clean, there the cracks were.

As a comparison point, the RRRs are adjustable (even if you leave it at stock camber), and the design allows for easy replacement of all bushes. Plus there's no casting seam since they're machined, so a chance of crack reoccurrence is low. 

Price-wise, I think they're highly competitive compared to OEM, and at this point, might be easier to obtain. 

@Gareth44Good catch by your mech, and glad it was before the cracks allowed the bushing to move. If the bushing slides forward, it allows for contact between the outer CV gaiter and the lower spring perch, which can tear a hole. Wouldn't be a big problem if the gaiters were available from Lotus, but they haven't been for the past ~2 years unless you buy a complete driveshaft assembly. 

RRR Engineering - But they're not posted on their site still (has been about ~3 (?) years since they were announced). I reached out to Gregor Pekala (greg_at_rrrengineering_co_uk) directly and asked if they had any to sell, and he was able to ship me a pre-production set. Last I heard, they were nearing production on them. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gareth44 said:

Hair line crack in each of mine found today (2015 S SR, 47k miles, no track or curbing etc.). Not visible to the naked eye but my mechanic knew to check and once they were clean, there the cracks were.

I replaced a cracked one last month too. I think it cracked on my way to the garage to get some other work done as it was a clean crack and I hadn't noticed anything off with the handling, (except for a slight knocking sound as I pulled away from lights round the corner from the garage). 

I thought about doing the other side pre-emptively but now that I know what to look for I'm just keeping an eye on it for now.

I'm not entirely sure what they are being replaced with, to be honest.

When my mechanic called he said that Lotus didn't have any or would take ages, I can't remember which, but that one of his contacts did, so they should be here by the end of the week.

He did say though, when I asked about the price, that they were just below £300 each. When I did the customary groan, he said the earlier ones were over £400, so I assume I'm getting some type of newer version, be that OEM or not.

Probably OEM ones at that price. The aftermarket ones, of which I'm only aware of 2 vendors that make them, are much more than that for a pair. 

• Like 1