Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Which drivetrain have you selected? - Page 3 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Which drivetrain have you selected?

Bibs

Which drivetrain have you selected?  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, JJ said:

You can't just drop a Dragster RR into a conversation and not post a picture though, that's just bad form 😂

Ha. You can  check out my MV Agusta properly on my channel - Link below. You will love it. :)

If you are near Surrey you can even have a go on it.

Had it for 1 year from new and done 3000 miles. Not one single problem. Early days though. Tyres getting old.  Epic, epic bike. 

MV

20210401_152143.thumb.jpg.bf9c0ddae9b67a95b82b90bac0c6d765.jpg

Fireblade SP2 with track livery #2

IMG_20210403_112054_683.thumb.jpg.87840c902a58ff0649f1ddc7d55e0e20.jpg

• Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
5 hours ago, JJ said:

will an encrypted ECU (or whatever protections Lotus will have) be a problem to tune the engine back to high performance levels?

Yes. The Lotus encryption on the current ECUs makes it very hard to tune the OEM ECU. 

However, I’m sure that if you fitted a Brabus ECU to your AMG Emira then you could have eleventy bazillion HPs… 😉

1 hour ago, JJ said:

You can't just drop a Dragster RR into a conversation and not post a picture though, that's just bad form 😂

Rather than drag this thread too far away from its topic, bike chat is probably best had over here:

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/forum/251-bike-banter/

Fair point :)  

I'll just mention, on bikes, I opt for a Quickshifter. On the Lotus I prefer manual.

40 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Yes. The Lotus encryption on the current ECUs makes it very hard to tune the OEM ECU. 

However, I’m sure that if you fitted a Brabus ECU to your AMG Emira then you could have eleventy bazillion HPs… 😉

Is that a realistic option though? Is it wishful thinking or something you see could happen? Again, I know zilch squat about tuning cars. The last thing I took apart and put back together was a Honda Wallaroo in 1995 or so 😂 

Carfection are the best. Henry Catchpole clearly always wise and precise in its feedbacks. One of the few journalist you can actually trust for steering feel, road feel, balance, etc... 

In fact, the only video I have watched about the Emira (apart from Lotus official stuff) after the launch because you know you won't learn anything more elsewhere 

Edited by rallyesax
  • Like 2

I4 for me as it’s likely going to be my daily driver. The manual V6 doesn’t make much sense to me, id rather save the money and get an Evora 400 + something to daily if I wanted an auto for the same price. 

The I4 Emira just means I don’t potentially have to run 4 cars. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ramjet said:

Welcome to TLF. :welcome:

I don't know if we know which Merc engine it is yet? What is your aversion to the V6 and the gearbox options since they have proven to be pretty reliable in the Evora?

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

This would be a car for the wife to drive too, so would have to be an auto and the IPS doesn't sound like a good gearbox, low torque limits and even rev limits.

I also like tuning my cars, so the idea of a fully forged, purpose built performance engine like the M139, really appeals, despite the lack of engine note. 500hp would be no trouble at all for that engine/gearbox and the 8 speed DCT will be able to keep it on the boil going by the A45s I drove, which was too much engine for that car imo.

Looking at the available tuning packages for the 2GR-FE, it's all a bit disappointing.  The gearboxes seem to be the achilles heel, I can't see that getting any better for the emira and I don't want to ruin the car with a £20k sequential. I fitted one to my seven and it was terrible for the road. 

I doubt mercedes will put the M133 back into production, but what they might do is derate the Emira M139. They did it with the M177 in the C63, it had different pistons and cooling in the higher power E63, so the Emira engine may be made to a budget. 

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Nipper said:

This would be a car for the wife to drive too, so would have to be an auto and the IPS doesn't sound like a good gearbox, low torque limits and even rev limits.

I also like tuning my cars, so the idea of a fully forged, purpose built performance engine like the M139, really appeals, despite the lack of engine note. 500hp would be no trouble at all for that engine/gearbox and the 8 speed DCT will be able to keep it on the boil going by the A45s I drove, which was too much engine for that car imo.

Looking at the available tuning packages for the 2GR-FE, it's all a bit disappointing.  The gearboxes seem to be the achilles heel, I can't see that getting any better for the emira and I don't want to ruin the car with a £20k sequential. I fitted one to my seven and it was terrible for the road. 

I doubt mercedes will put the M133 back into production, but what they might do is derate the Emira M139. They did it with the M177 in the C63, it had different pistons and cooling in the higher power E63, so the Emira engine may be made to a budget. 

Bibs has done several reviews of IPS Evoras. This is the area where they are.

Might be some interesting reading for you.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

1 hour ago, Nipper said:

You should get a test drive first, the M139 is no normal 4 pot. I test drove an A45s as a courtesy car and it was an absolute animal of a car. It was tiring and made me drive like an idiot because it begged me too. If you breathe on the accelerator it's dropping cogs and blasting down the road in a frantic rush, it's also very linear and revvy, no lazy torque to pull through the gears it's just bam bam bam with peak torque quite high in the rev range. It was just too much car for the wife (who I was looking to buy it for) and I don't think we could live with that kind of frenzied, buzzy engine everyday. 

As an occasional car for fun, well that's a different prospect. That 4 pot is the most powerful bhp/L of any engine in production for a reason, you really need to recalibrate your senses when you drive it because its far from any 4 pot you may be used too. 

I was glad to get back in my C63s for a rest.

Thanks for the insight, Mercedes has never really appealed to me so I would have never known! 

I guess I was kinda expecting it to be Alpine A110 like! Maybe it’s not gonna be the option for the daily driver then haha. The 31 year old MX5 might have to take on those duties again! 

• Like 1

I've had such a good experience with the V6 manual in my 400 that it's the spec I would opt for in an Emira.  I'm keeping my 400 regardless but I'll be watching this space and awaiting further developments as it's taking every shred of will power I have to stay off the list.  I have my reasons for wanting to be patient.  

My Evora is representative of the first of the 4XX cars shipped over here. It's been so satisfying to drive, it's set up to my liking, I  trust it, I like seeing it in my garage, I own it, so it's a keeper.  The benefit of thinking like this is that it  allows me to be patient as the new car's arc is revealed.  I'd like this one to represent peak Emira. If history is any guide,  patience will be required for my spec to be announced.  

• Like 2

'17 Evora 400 MT 

The plan is 5,000 cars per year until it's end of life. While the car is doing very well, I'm not sure it's sold out to the end of production. 

They have sold the UK first year allocation but in @Evotion's video, Matt Windle does say that they're going to have to take a look at the numbers again! 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I have heard there is now to be a second shift 

This means about 9000 cars globally.

Demand is high in other areas around the globe.

The v6 car is likely to be heavily over subscribed.

There is more time fir the 4cyl but thst will go fast  lotus will be keen to start the base edition runs to boost further orders and sales, and make money on more options.

Either way, it is looking good.

God... I hope the cars don't have a fundamental recall.

The only thing stopping Lotus is an early problem which will be very brand damaging. I am confident this will not happen. They have done HUGE amounts of testing, have a superb factory and money!