Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coming to an Emira from other marques - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Coming to an Emira from other marques

TomE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I concur Tom. It does seem that Lotus have got it spot on with their target audience. Yes, it shocked the die-hard Lotus fans but this was the way to re-launch the Lotus brand as a major player and judging by their success thus far, they were right.

Most of you know my story.  Never owned a Lotus and have only driven an Elise briefly and an Exige at a Silverstone track day, both about 18 years ago.

I thought the Exige was basically a track-day special kit-car. I had 3 kids and it was not on my radar. The Evora completely passed me by and by the time I had noticed it, it was well down in the pecking order and I didn't really get on with the looks as a package.   (Yes, the Emira resembles the Evora in some places but overall the difference is amazing).

I was looking at older supercars for the buzz, such as the 458 Spyder, manual 430, LE Gallardos, Hurrican, GT3 RS, Merc SLS and 'very' briefyl was interested in the Macca 570S.

Then suddenly, about 6 weeks or so ago, I was told, or came across, a rumour of a new Lotus. The sub-headline of last Internal Combustion Engine caught my attention as the 'last of' ethos really turns me on - F430 Manual, 458, etc.

I read a chapter or two and , ha, without knowing anything else, I realised this WAS the car for me.

It was well in budget, it was NEW!!!!  So no warranty issues and no sweating every time a slight knock comes from the engine, gearbox or suspension. 

Here is a car I can actually drive in anger and not worry about it. AND.... it is a Lotus. Yes, I never wanted a modern Lotus but love the Europa, Elite, Eclat and the Esprit, of course. Most of all I was and remain a HUGE fan of the JPS Lotus F1 car.

My eldest son, who I passed on my petrolhead genes to, was initially a bit annoyed that I wasn;t going to get an Italian supercar but I think he sensed my passion and enthusiasm and started to get caught up in it.

It dawned on me that the car sounded so great  on paper and would be be so attractive that I might not want to thrash it  but I wanted a car I can take on track.

Then it hit me.  I will get two - one of each.  I went to see Jamie at Bell & Colvill (awesome, friendly chap) and he kindly let me out in the Exige Sport 410. It scared me, and I am a mad speed freak motorcyclist, ha. What it did do was confirm to me that I have been missing this 'experience' all these years. I understood that the Emira would be a heavier more comfy and refined Lotus and this really suited me so I put a deposit down on both.

I then went mad on this forum in my excitement, mostly talking a load of gibberish and have only bloody found myself as a re-born Lotus fan. I often have a chuckle at myself.

I had a wobble last week when I went out in a glorious, as new, 458 Spyder in Gaillo Triplo but have kept the faith and seeing the car in the flesh at Goodwood and on the internet reveal has further cemented that desire.

I am now one cap and two shirts away from being a complete Lotus nerd. 😃

My Lotus Exige video.

• Like 2

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

9 hours ago, Yan said:

Lotus needs to really change that kit car perception. Emira changes that. I too welcome soon to be new owners to the brand.

Yep, This was also my perception before I saw the light.

There are making great strides to now be synonymous with quality and this Emira is definitely a step in the right direction IF the car is as robust as it needs to be.

11 hours ago, IwantOne said:

Have to wait and see what the actual price will be in Japan but I probably have the most boring car history of everybody here. The only car I ever owned is a second gen Suzuki Swift Sport :D but I guess at 1050kg and 136hp I can say it's a bit like an Elise ;)

Team Swift Sport assemble! Mine is first-gen, such a fun little car, and ideal for tiny-street Europe, I might even keep it as backup as well if I get the Emira.

The Emira will be my first Lotus unless I cancel later on. Contacted the local dealer the morning after the announcement, and he already had half a dozen reservations in! I've been looking for my next car for a while, haven't been sure what to get. I don't have to drive much for either work or personal life, I'm relatively well off by local standards, and no children, so all options have been open to me. But the car I buy, if not a cheap beater (like my Swift) has to really be "the one" for me. I don't believe in putting cars away and taking them for a spin every third Sunday, I will daily whatever I get.

I've been looking at so many things, I'm all over the place. From Cayman to C8, from RS3 to E63S, from Pista to Huracan, from Plaid to Roadster 2020 to NSX. But there's always something wrong with it. The Cayman is a vertically challenged Beetle, though I might get over that, and the Boxster is a soft-top. RS3, E63S and Plaid, that's a lot of seats I won't really be needing, and the ass of the E63S is just not slappable. Ferrari and Lamborghini, the family jewels aren't small enough to warrant making that amount of noise in public with a daily, and though I could, I don't want to spend that amount of money. Both the NSX and C8 are cars I've driven abroad and loved, but are not sold here, can't be serviced by a dealer here, and the local carbon tax puts their price in Lambo territory. Roadster 2020 might not actually ever be for sale, though I love how it looks. But I can drive electric the rest of my life, something like the Emira will probably not come around again.

There are only three things I am concerned about with the Emira:

1. Price - I mentioned carbon tax before. At this point I don't know if I even want the V6 manual or the I4 DCT, but said tax may price the V6 out of the range I feel is reasonable. It it gets close to Roadster 2020 territory, then I'll probably feel that is a better deal, though that car may still be too expensive for me to feel comfortable in, and might not actually be as much fun as the Emira.

2. Ride height and/or front lift - will it clear the local speed bumps (of which there are plenty) and driveways and parking garage ramps *easily* and *swiftly*? If it won't, there's just absolutely no point to this car. Can't daily a car you need to baby every other minute, I'd pull all my hair out in a week.

3. Roof - It's just not a targa. How is it not a targa? Why is it not a targa? Targaaaa! If it had been a targa it'd be a 10/10 car.

It was love at first sight at the announcement though, so I hope these will not end up being a problem.

Car history is Daihatsu Charade, multiple Trans-Ams, Hyundai Coupe, and Suzuki Swift Sports. This will (may) be the first car I'll pay over 10K for.

Edited by JJ
Targaaa!
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF @emstan and @JJ. :welcome:

Great to see new faces. Hope the Emira works out for you both.

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say in there as well. :) 

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

12 hours ago, JJ said:

The Cayman is a vertically challenged Beetle,

Ha, love that.

The Emira has supercar looks in my opinion so I don't think you can go wrong. It will always be desirable.

It will also be super rare on the streets for the first year and you'd feel super special driving it, akin to the feeling driving a Ferrari or Lambo I reckon.

• Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF. :welcome:

Have you made any decision as to what you are going to get?

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

40 minutes ago, Dyim said:

I was in an exige many years ago and it was simply too raw for me to DD, so Lotus was never on my radar.

When I saw the Emira, I was instantly in love.

Yep, that was me!  Well, actually before I even saw it, if that makes any sense at all.   Well, no it doesn't. Haha. I just had a feeling, a bit like Darth sensing Obi Wan. :)

42 minutes ago, Dyim said:

30044DA6-308C-4B2E-A7F6-A1B66692212B.jpeg

Great car colour combo.  I think a Hethel Yellow Emira will fit in perfectly there. :)

• Gold FFM

Do you have any idea of the colours you are looking at for inside and outside?

• Like 1

Welcome @Mickle

I loved the M2. Always liked the mean arches.

I couldn't get one a the time, as a car for me and the missus, as the missus complained it had lines in the window (heated?) and her mum would struggle to get into the back seats :)

At Goodwood FOS the M5 CS looks the nuts.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Welcome :)

Lovely colour on the M2 by the way, that looks epic in the flesh. 

35 minutes ago, ramjet said:

Do you have any idea of the colours you are looking at for inside and outside?

Thank you both!

After another 10 minutes on the configurator... still really unsure, It will definitely be a bright colour, the blue, red and yellow all look great. I'd probably go Seneca Blue if I had to pick today. Even more undecided on the interior, I'm going to keep an eye on the spec thread 😄

2 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Welcome @Mickle

I loved the M2. Always liked the mean arches.

I couldn't get one a the time, as a car for me and the missus, as the missus complained it had lines in the window (heated?) and her mum would struggle to get into the back seats :)

At Goodwood FOS the M5 CS looks the nuts.

Thank you!

Haha, I've only tried once, although it's a struggle to get back there it's pretty roomy once you're in. It's a fantastic daily and very practical having come from hot hatches previously. 

Really enjoyed your video on the Emira earlier with breakfast too so cheers :cheers:

Edited by Mickle
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ramjet said:

Have you made any decision as to what you are going to get?

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

13 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Yep, that was me!  Well, actually before I even saw it, if that makes any sense at all.   Well, no it doesn't. Haha. I just had a feeling, a bit like Darth sensing Obi Wan. :)

Great car colour combo.  I think a Hethel Yellow Emira will fit in perfectly there. :)

Bang on.

This is what I am thinking.

When I think lotus, I think of this yellow.  From my model building hobby before real work and kids.

BE98CDD3-AAA7-40F2-B8C8-0F4DBF928732.jpeg

F18A7908-CCF2-44C7-B756-C27102E2CDA2.png

• Like 1