Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My 1980 Elite 2.2 - Page 2 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

My 1980 Elite 2.2

The seat looks wonderful, as new!
As a temp measure I bought new leather seat covers for a Tesla. These were for sale locally from someone who bought the wrong type and were never fitted. Because it looks they might fit, and I was the only bidder for peanuts money (cheaper than universal cloth seat covers) I took the chance and bought them. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Latest update; after a final fun drive  the car has gone today  for the engine to be taken out and sent upcountry. Then, some fun and games will happen in a few days collecting the powerless car on a trailer to be put back in its garage ...given the garage`s tight  location there will be formation pushing involved !    

On 22/11/2021 at 15:04, basalte said:

Then, some fun and games will happen in a few days collecting the powerless car on a trailer to be put back in its garage ...given the garage`s tight  location there will be formation pushing involved !    

Oh, that's nothing seeing the Elite is such a light car and it has its most heavy item removed!
Try pushing a non running Mk7 Jaguar, with everything in place, slightly binding brakes and two tyres only half full, in a shed with none too smooth floor 😁 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Latest update : engineless car was pushed back off trailer into garage - all a bit tight but easy with three people . Then paid a visit to the engine which had had the carbs removed . Back home , cleaning gunk off the air filter boxes - lot of oil caked on & inside them  ( should there be oil all over an air filter box in the first place ???)

1 hour ago, basalte said:

Then paid a visit to the engine which had had the carbs removed .

Make sure the ports are sealed or you'll get damp in which will rust the bores. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

Further news - The pistons need replacing ( not surprised ) , the crankshaft needs replacing ( bit surprised ). Luckily there’s a good used replacement available. The block a bit scored from the crankshaft wear but nothing major ! 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hi again, thank you for your replies, the fuse was fine on an 80 mile drive so that`s  good.

Bad news is a new problem

- that the "fan fail" light of Doom came on and wouldnt go out. Fuses looked ok ...will now be checking connections to fans .

Fans were working fine before the rebuild (sigh).

As the car is now as restored as it will probably ever be, I will post elsewhere on the Forums with my problems from now on !

I attach photo of the car at the Croydon (thats the Cambridgeshire Croydon) classics rally

(with alsatian beside it for size reference) . 

IMG_1447.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The fan fail light in an Excel also means low coolant level, don't know if it is the same in the Elite or Eclat.

• 1 year later...