Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Prototype Elise S1: born 03 January 1996 - Page 2 - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Prototype Elise S1: born 03 January 1996

jep

• Gold FFM
On 21/01/2022 at 12:45, jep said:

Searching for all prototype/pre-production Elise.

There are special rules around prototypes - I don't profess to be an expert, but I understand that they are supposed to be destroyed (or certainly most circumstances) and not put onto the road once they have served their purpose.  So in theory you shouldn't find (m)any.  But this being Lotus, inevitably they do fall out of the back door.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The later addition radio now removed. I found a correct dash trim finish (sans radio), which seem to be uber-rare nowadays. I suspect many were binned back in the day.

IMG20220402153511.jpg

IMG20220402155925.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's a pleasure to chat to folk about any Lotus but particularly to those that appreciate 'Ruby'. 

A joy to own for both driving and historical interest. It don't get better in the old motor world than that.

I intend to collate as many period pictures of Ruby as I can, so if you know anyone who knew Ruby 1996 to 2001, let me know. She knew quite a few.......

Justin 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/02/2022 at 23:08, jep said:

Max500 found this today, stamped on the chassis:

Screenshot_2022-02-02-17-08-19-02_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.thumb.jpg.704ad3f40108855f5cd4095dcb514707.jpg

Wonderful story and car Jep! Thanks for sharing that. I noticed an interesting detail, the VIN doesn't match the structure of the production model Elise S1 as described on Seloc: https://wiki.seloc.org/a/File:Vin_decoder.JPG

On 06/11/2022 at 12:47, jep said:

The chassis number sequencing was changed, later cars are as the link you sent but earlier cars not.

Justin

Hi Justin, I wonder when the change happens exactly. Do you know that? Also, what's write on your V5? Is your car already registered as an Elise model? Do you have any prototype mention?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Early car and I don't think ever MOT'd in UK. So exported early on. 

Not comparable with N848 JNG which has confirmed provenance of usage by many at Lotus as a development car and test bed for 135 head, steel brakes and durability testing. 

And is the type approval vehicle, as seen in the Discovery Channel documentary. 

Justin

• Like 1