Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Electric Car Options - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Electric Car Options

Thought I'd see if I can pick the brains of the collective on here.

Am looking at Electric cars to basically become our main transportation.

To make it worthwhile it has to be:

1) used for the vast majority of our daily usage (as in 90%)

2) 100% Electric, because if I do this it will need to attract the low BIK to make it work financially, so no Hybrids.

We like the Mini electric, which would replace my wifes JCW, but 140 mile range is a bit "tight" (75 mile round trip is our longest frequent trip - to see most of our relatives - doesn't leave much for going places when there) and being small and 3 door isn't exactly ideal for shopping or if 3 or 4 of us are going out. No option for extended range. Ideally looking for 250m+ range (which would get us to all family members).

Anything bigger would replace my Seat Leon FR Estate

Audi Q4 - I really like (so does daughter), but usual issue from SWMBO - "Its too big" and what will happen is that she will simply come up with a succession of excuses as to why she has to continue to use the JCW for just about every journey she makes. To be honest I'd prefer something Q2 sized myself, but the size wouldn't put me off, unlike SWMBO.

IONIC 5 - test drive booked, I like it the exterior, but the interior is (sorry Kimbers) really pretty cheap looking. It looks smaller than the Q4, but the actual stated sizes are not much different.

VW ID4 - Basically a (not much) cheaper less nice Q4. Will have the same issues with SWMBO, but seeing as they will cost me virtually the same, the Q4 would be the option

VW ID3 - a better size, but see ID4. The interior of my Seat FR is massively nicer. It's just about OK but I was sat in it thinking, this really does feel cheap. It's certainly no better than the IONIC

I'm struggling to find much else of interest, but would be interested in any recommendations:

So, it seems:

- 5 Door

- Small family sized car/mini SUV

- 100% Electric

- Decent interior

- c>250 mile range

Would be interested in thoughts/experiences.

Thanks

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had an e-Niro for 6 months now from new and 9,000 all electric miles into ownership. 282 miles range although this time of year it's showing over 300 miles on a full charge but it's more like 250 miles in colder weather and on motorway journies. It's enough range that it gets charged either for 4 hours overnight on cheap rate or once a weekish for a full charge in 1 go (about 10 hours). I've got the 4+ so lots of spec and sub-£40k still with a Kia 7 year warranty. It's a crossover so a mini SUV size. 

I did a lot of research before purchase and it is pretty highly thought of and in fact is still winning group tests. 

I can pop by sometime if you fancy nice look/drive? 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

And the e-Niro’s smaller cousin the Kona - I wouldn’t discount one of those - ours is great. BuT had the e-Niro been available before the kona - we would have opted for one of those.

Only here once

The Polestar 2 has just been released & looks good.  The other half is currently running an e-Golf and we'll hopefully replace it with one of these in a year or two.  She's not keen on the interior of the VW IDs, the Polestar looks a bit more 'normal'.

You could argue they're part of the Lotus group too.. 😉 

(I've no 'real world' electric car experience to share though, just the e-Golf which is fine).

Curious: How severe is the hit for AC and heat? I know electric heat isn't very efficient for houses and Imagine it would't be very good for those living in cold winter climates. Hybrid would be aa more likely choice.

Thanks @Bibs  I got my Hyundai and Kia mixed up. Will be taking a look at the 2 Kias for sure. 

Polestar pretty expensive unfortunately as they are nice. Sounds like I’m not the only one questioning the ID interiors. E golf not an option (do they still make them?). 

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

2 hours ago, comem47 said:

How severe is the hit for AC and heat?

1-2%, a couple of miles really. Moving 1.8 tonnes of car and batteries uses a lot more energy than the climate control! 

@Colin P, the Kia EV6 looks really good as an option, I'll probably get one of those once the e-Niro goes back. 

I saw that. Looks nice and due to launch in October.  

11 hours ago, Colin P said:

Sounds like I’m not the only one questioning the ID interiors. E golf not an option (do they still make them?). 

I don't think they do.  It's only got a range of 130 miles at best though.

How about an MG ZS quite cheap but may not have enough range.

Or wait and see what size/spec the first Lotus SUV may have.

10 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

How about a Tesla Model 3? It seems to meet most (if not all) of your criteria. 

I have similar feelings about them as I do the ID3, quite a lot of similarities style wise, especially the interior. Maybe I'm just old fashioned and don't like the funky styling. They are also very expensive in our scheme. They are closer to the price of a Taycan than the ID3. Our supplier must have upset Mr Musk.

11 hours ago, Bibs said:

1-2%, a couple of miles really. Moving 1.8 tonnes of car and batteries uses a lot more energy than the climate control! 

@Colin P, the Kia EV6 looks really good as an option, I'll probably get one of those once the e-Niro goes back. 

The weather (hot and cold) is more important to the range than what you have "switched on" is it not?  I.e. when it gets very cold the real world range can drop significantly - I believe WHICH? reported as much as 35-35% reduction in range on some cars.

9 minutes ago, Colin P said:

like the funky styling

The front of the model 3 is, to my eyes, flug ugly! Every time I saw it on my drive my heart would break at the thought of being seen in it. Also, Tesla build quality is shite, but then you'll be used to that so I guess no issue.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

More range in summer - less in winter. It’s about 20%.

I think the wltp stated mileage allows for this - since we see over 300 and down to 260 at extremes.

Only here once

Mine has a heat pump which means the batteries are actively warmed/cooled so cold weather range is about 8-10% less than warm weather with this feature (which is more than the WLTP quoted range anyway). More EV's are being fitted with heat pumps now so it's not as bad as older EV's in range sapping cold weather. It also uses residual heat from the battery/invertor/motor to heat the cabin rather than use more energy for that which again helps with range ever so slightly. 

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

More range in summer - less in winter. It’s about 20%.

Should help sales in Saudi then :rofl:

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

The front of the model 3 is, to my eyes, flug ugly! Every time I saw it on my drive my heart would break at the thought of being seen in it. Also, Tesla build quality is shite, but then you'll be used to that so I guess no issue.

Yes, loads of them around here and I'm not a fan. Particularly white on white :sick:

1 hour ago, mg4lotus said:

Some pretty tight tolerances on that range 😄

Lol - yes, my fingers often get me in trouble for not doing what I asked (sometimes for also doing what I asked ;) )!  Should have been 20-35%....

55 minutes ago, Colin P said:

Particularly white on white

You need to go on some diversity training....   hahahahaha

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!