Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Nitron NTR on Evora Sport 410 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Nitron NTR on Evora Sport 410

• Gold FFM

Hi all

Looking for anyone who’s got experience or advice relating to Nitrons on Evora 4XXs (ideally Sport 410s)

I am thinking of putting a set of Nitron NTRs onto my Sport 410 to replace the stock setup.

I do quite a bit of track driving but am thinking of going for the Fast Road versions of the NTRs as I do use the car on the road as well so don’t want full “track only” setup.

https://www.nitron.co.uk/buy-online/automotive/lotus/evora/evora--09--/lotus-evora--09----ntr--fast-road-40mm-suspension-kit#

If anyone has used these on their Evora or knows someone that has, let me know please :)

I would like to go for the Ohlins off the GT430 but I can’t justify it for a new set and have not found anyone selling a set of good condition refurb ones… (if anyone knows someone who has come let me know)

Cheers

James

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Don’t buy direct from Nitron. Talk to Hoffmans of Henley. Chris Randall will help you decide on valving and spring rates for your use and you will have a custom set of Nitrons.  Chris has supplied me with both my race car and road cars in luding my current set up.

2 hours ago, JimUK said:

Do you plan on doing track days this year

Hopefully. Michelin Cup 2 tyres need using up, have PS4 for the road. Also want to get the 340R on track again.

Justin

• Gold FFM
On 08/01/2022 at 21:31, Bruss said:

Don’t buy direct from Nitron. Talk to Hoffmans of Henley. Chris Randall will help you decide on valving and spring rates for your use and you will have a custom set of Nitrons.  Chris has supplied me with both my race car and road cars in luding my current set up.

@Bruss thanks - do you know if you went closer to the “fast road” or “clubsport” spring ratings for your road car? Just trying to get a sense how close you can go to clubsport spec and keep it usable as a weekend use road car.

I went for a track focused setting. Having said that I think the car now rides better on the road than it ever did. I obviously adjust the Nitrons for road use, mostly different to track use. On track the softer road settings work well in the wet.

Chris really is an expert on these cars, and on the use of Nitrons with Lotus’ in particular. Talk to him and if you go with him, get him to suggest the right Nitron settings, with the right spring rates, and the right geo, for your expected use. He will get the car set up and it will be a revelation.

There is one thing to be aware of whoever supplies you with the Nitrons. They will clonk a little. If you already have the original arb bushes it sounds much the same as they do. Hardly noticeable unless you are driving over potholes, but not silent.

@Bruss - how close do you think the Nitron setups could get to the Ohlins of the GT430?  (in other words, do you need to spend the £5-6k on the Ohlins and deal with their requirement to be "serviced" i think it was every 2 years).

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

I haven’t run an Evora with the Ohlins but the 2-11 I had could be adjusted to an nth degree. You could feel the difference between a damp track setting and a full wet. I would put the Ohlins on my Evora if I was using it on track more. I’m not sure of an advantage for the road.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bruss said:

There is one thing to be aware of whoever supplies you with the Nitrons. They will clonk a little. If you already have the original arb bushes it sounds much the same as they do. Hardly noticeable unless you are driving over potholes, but not silent.

I'm glad that you've said that. I've never been 100% convinced that mine were installed correctly. Now I can put it down to 'TADTS'.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 12/01/2022 at 10:10, C8RKH said:

@Bruss - how close do you think the Nitron setups could get to the Ohlins of the GT430?  (in other words, do you need to spend the £5-6k on the Ohlins and deal with their requirement to be "serviced" i think it was every 2 years).

This is my dilemma as well…. I really want the Ohlins but it’s can’t figure out if the price difference is worth it for my ability/use.

On 11/01/2022 at 22:00, Bruss said:

I went for a track focused setting. Having said that I think the car now rides better on the road than it ever did. I obviously adjust the Nitrons for road use, mostly different to track use. On track the softer road settings work well in the wet.

Chris really is an expert on these cars, and on the use of Nitrons with Lotus’ in particular. Talk to him and if you go with him, get him to suggest the right Nitron settings, with the right spring rates, and the right geo, for your expected use. He will get the car set up and it will be a revelation.

Thank you for the advice.

It sounds like yours are a custom spec - but from what you say it sounds like they would be closer to the “clubsport” rather than “fast road” default configs?

I had read about the “clonk” which worried me a bit. Seems like you can live with it though.

I went the same route (Nitron R1's, 46) a year ago and was just about to summarize last season. I have been a bit inactive here during Autumn winter. Anyhow, I went for the most track focused setup and have backed off to softer springs to mitigate clonk and wheel bounce on rougher surfaces, but with limited success. We are having a dialogue about a rebuild to another spec and I don't think I step on anyone's toes if I say 40 mm 1-way, or 46 mm 3-way, are the main options. Other options are possible, but not currently available. In any case, I am confident that a clonk-less option will be around soon.

Don't forget that clonk is cavitation and cavitation detoriate oil properties, may damage internals (even though it doesn't seem to be the case for the NTR's) and means lost wheel control while occurring.

@#84, thank you for the update.  Can you comment please on how you found the driving experience after you had upgraded from the 410 standard suspension to the Nitrons?  What was the main benefit and how did they feel on road and track?

Thanks in advance for your response.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

Maybe I should have been clearer. It is on my 2011 Evora S. I am about to make a season summary of chassie changes I have done, it will appear here: 

• Thanks 2

• Gold FFM

@#84 thanks for the info. From what I’ve been told the only options for Evora from Nitron is the 1 way adjustable. Do you believe there are 3 way currently available?

The Clonk issue really concerns me…. Especially any idea about loss of any “control” due to it happening.

I have a 2010 NA so not the comparison you’re after, but have had Nitron (fast road) fitted for a while now. I had the spring rates adjusted to be 50 pounds softer front and rear as it’s purely a road car. They’re brilliant, the ride is ridiculously compliant.  I do feel you’d likely want something a little more track focused if you’re planning to track though. Custom valving / spring rate as mentioned above may be the way to go.

Regarding the clunk, I had this at first but some lube on the ARB bushes solved the problem. No more clunks. 

Edited by DBG
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JimUK said:

@#84 thanks for the info. From what I’ve been told the only options for Evora from Nitron is the 1 way adjustable. Do you believe there are 3 way currently available?

The Clonk issue really concerns me…. Especially any idea about loss of any “control” due to it happening.

Loss of control?

You won't even notice it.

image.jpeg.84e03244b5a2036252aeab18c7352a13.jpeg

• Like 1

@JimUK Yes, 3-ways are available. Generally about your original question. Living in UK, I believe it wouldn't be that difficult to find someone with a kit to experience. Don't mind about which Evora version it is. All, but the 430's have the same front springs and the 400/410 share the same rear. The LSD doesn't change anything in this respect. A well sorted damper valving and spring combination means much more than brand/technology as long as you are not going to continue to develop it yourself.

@Bruss What I refer to is when cavitation occurs, you have vapour flowing through the piston temporarily and the damper does not work as intended. Depending on how severe it is, it may behave like if you go too quick with an undamped bicycle down a coarse gravel road and the wheels just bounces on top of the stones. I can ensure you that the level of control then, is as if someone spilled oil on the road/track. Just add noise :)

• Thanks 1

I ran Exe-TCs on a 996 a few years back and they clonked A LOT. THey're labeled as "Competition Suspension" so I think they just have very little of the rubber/plastic internals that road-car suspension does.

They were amazingly good things, but not at all quiet (noticeable at slows speeds only really).

Maybe the same for the Nitrons?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Hi @dogtag114 are you moving from stock 400 dampers straight to the Nitron club sports? Did you go for the standard club sport spring rates from the Nitron website?

I'll be keen to hear what you think about it on road and track when you have it finished 😃

Yes, but I bought through GRP, some of the website descriptions and pics differ but mine were delivered with 625 lb/in springs in rear and 425 up front.  all four have 250 lb/in helper springs which are fully compressed once installed.

I am a little concerned about being too stiff.  A friend had these and liked them on track but the interia switches cut off the fuel three times in two years.  As a side note, everyone should know where these are to reset them (button press) and its not advertised.

• Gold FFM

I think I will go for the fast road spec as worried about being to stuff for road use and bumpier tracks.

The interia switch thing sounds worrying… is he sure it was due to Nitrons?

Where is it on a 400? My quick google only showed me on the Elise.